Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
trading for a 2015 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon with 44k on it
You said for your sister right? Tell your parent you saw her smoking before its too late. ahahaha

:surprise::grin2:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Generally speaking, reliability isn't among the reasons people love their Jeeps.

Several common but serious problems are worth checking before they buy:

• Very carefully inspect the corners of the radiators for any sign of leakage, or any coolant smell once it's up to temp. Wrangler radiators are almost guaranteed to leak around that age.
  • On top of the engine, remove the cover and look around for signs of oil leakage, and also look around at the rear of the engine underneath. There's a big silver oil cooler dead center on top of the engine that has a nasty habit of cracking and leaking starting from 2014 and later.
  • Listen to the engine from the outside at running temp for a clear ticking noise (listen on both sides), the Pentastar 3.6L has had some history of bad cylinder heads going all the way back to 2011 or so. Supposedly resolved in 2012, but reports of the same problem in later years are commonplace.
  • Underneath in front, check the front track bar bolts (left and right ends) for ANY sign of play. They shouldn't move at all but they're made with a fully-threaded slightly-too-small bolt that tends to grind away the bushing. Aftermarket kits are available with partially-threaded correct-sized bolts that are easy to replace and eliminate the problem (often even if the bushing has already been chewed up). The track bar is outlined in the middle in the picture here.
They're fun, but here's hoping your sister is handy in the garage. :D

P.S. Sucks about the truck.
I had a '15 JKUR, put on just over 30k miles in about a year (Relocation, long road trip, commuting, playing, etc). Only problem I had was the radiator cap failed just after I pulled into the garage coming back from a day at the lake. Puked a bit of coolant on my garage floor.

Replaced the rad cap and all was well. Never had any cylinder head issues (only an issue with 2011-2012, AFAIK) and never had any oil cooler issues. The oil cooler is really the biggest problem to watch out for for that year. Steering/Suspension wear issues are a piece of cake.

Oh, and watch out for water intrusion into the front swaybar disconnect motor/housing. They have a habit of failing due to bad seals.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Your father is a good man. His house, his truck, his rules.

If I caught my son vaping or smoking, I would help him smoke. All he wants. As much as he can. As many as he can fit in his mouth wrapped with tape, and handcuffed . He can have all he wants till he pukes. I'd make sure he enjoyed his big man's delicacy. I may end up in jail, but he won't end up in the iron lung.
Uh... :-o :? That got weird in a hurry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My grandfather started smoking when he was 12. By the time he was in his 50's, he was tearing off the filters or rolling them himself.

When his lungs finally failed and he had a lung transplant, his doctor kept his lungs, encased them in clear plastic and put it on his desk as a reminder to people of what smoking can do to you. There was only a small bit of pink left, the rest was black.

The lung transplant didn't help and my grandfather still died a year later. Never even made it to 60. I was 2 when he died so I have no memory of him.

Don't take up smoking. You're only on this earth once. Spend that time enjoying life to the fullest and not taking that time for granted.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had a '15 JKUR, put on just over 30k miles in about a year (Relocation, long road trip, commuting, playing, etc). Only problem I had was the radiator cap failed just after I pulled into the garage coming back from a day at the lake. Puked a bit of coolant on my garage floor.

Replaced the rad cap and all was well. Never had any cylinder head issues (only an issue with 2011-2012, AFAIK) and never had any oil cooler issues. The oil cooler is really the biggest problem to watch out for for that year. Steering/Suspension wear issues are a piece of cake.

Oh, and watch out for water intrusion into the front swaybar disconnect motor/housing. They have a habit of failing due to bad seals.
Yeah definitely seems to be "200,000 trouble-free miles" or weekly disaster stories. Supposedly the head problem was fixed late 2012 (still hitting a lot of MY 2013s) but the Cherokees using the same engine have been popping up with suspiciously similar issues well into MY 2015 so far. However, only a handful of "looks the same" issues on the Wrangler side, that I've seen. I haven't worried about that one much with a 2017, but it can't hurt to keep it in mind.

I thought my Colorado aftermarket spending was crazy, but Wranglers... ouch!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
28 Participants
MV10
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing