Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got in trouble for vaping and parents are selling my canyon. prob trading in for a 2015 jeep wrangler for my sister. i loved my truck and am still very upset but will be ok. I'm gonna try to track it back down and buy it back later but idk. thanks for yalls ideas. I'm gonna stay on the forum and browse to stay inspired. Love y'all.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Sorry to see ya go. Hope to see you back, but, yeah, vaping .. . not really a good thing as you probably know now. Stay healthy. If some buddies or "friends" were your encouragement to do things that risk you getting in trouble. . . . maybe not the best crowd to hang with.
Be your own person and adopt the attitude that the other guys are maybe not on a profitable path. The sooner I learned that, then I was able to scoff at their foolishness and hang with a better and limited circle of people. ::chevy::

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
“Be a leader, not a follower”! This will cause a lot less frustration and problems in life. You are young, whatever you do today, affects the rest of your life. Us old men, have a lot of wisdom that we learned the hard way. If you listen to us, we can help keep you from having to go thru that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to see ya go. Hope to see you back, but, yeah, vaping .. . not really a good thing as you probably know now. Stay healthy. If some buddies or "friends" were your encouragement to do things that risk you getting in trouble. . . . maybe not the best crowd to hang with.
Be your own person and adopt the attitude that the other guys are maybe not on a profitable path. The sooner I learned that, then I was able to scoff at their foolishness and hang with a better and limited circle of people. ::chevy::
“Be a leader, not a follower”! This will cause a lot less frustration and problems in life. You are young, whatever you do today, affects the rest of your life. Us old men, have a lot of wisdom that we learned the hard way. If you listen to us, we can help keep you from having to go thru that.
thank y'all so much

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can relate and feel your pain; in the ‘70’s I came outside the house to confront a guy who was in my 1968 Chevy Impala and about to put it on a trailer - my dad had sold it w/out even letting me know (not as discipline, but because I had just bought another Impala). Thing is I loved that ‘68 - had a 327 engine mated to a Turbohydramatic 400 transmission and was a fantastic car (I only lost 1 race out of 13 in that car).

You are very fortunate to have had such a nice truck at your age. See if you can have a sit down with your parents, own the mistake and see if some other avenue for discipline is possible. It’s worth a try and if you handle it right you may be able to keep the truck.

‘Learning and living’ is better than ‘living and learning’ <- - and often in life it is one thing to understand the words someone says, and yet another dimension to grasp the depth of implications of those words.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Life lessons. Learn from them or be consumed by them.

In my early twenties I was a party animal hanging out with my friends. I was having fun. Until one night I came home and was throwing up blood in the snow. I had become a drug addicted alcoholic. It was such a short road from fun to being lost.

Change your friends and be accountable. You can’t do this alone. Find new friends and seek out help. Find someone that has your best interest in mind. Me, I went to a rehab center. Got clean and turned my life around.

Just remember, that first high is the best! After that you’ll be consumed chasing that first time that will never come. You my think, “Hey old man that will never be me”. I once thought the same thing as I snorted that line up my nose.

Do the right things. Hold no bitterness about losing the truck. Life is too short.

Gus

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My parents took my 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4bbl, (that I paid for)away from me when they caught me smoking and gave me my sisters 1963 Rambler 4dr 330 Classic to drive to high school. I wrote a letter complaining to my brother, who was in Vietnam at the time, and he showed no compassion towards me. Looking back it was probably one of the best things that has happened to me. Never held a cigarette since.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
My parents took my 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4bbl, (that I paid for)away from me when they caught me smoking and gave me my sisters 1963 Rambler 4dr 330 Classic to drive to high school. I wrote a letter complaining to my brother, who was in Vietnam at the time, and he showed no compassion towards me. Looking back it was probably one of the best things that has happened to me. Never held a cigarette since.
Don’t sound like you were the lucky one!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
i got in trouble for vaping and parents are selling my canyon. prob trading in for a 2015 jeep wrangler for my sister. i loved my truck and am still very upset but will be ok. I'm gonna try to track it back down and buy it back later but idk. thanks for yalls ideas. I'm gonna stay on the forum and browse to stay inspired. Love y'all.
If selling your truck is what it takes to keep you from being addicted to nicotine for the rest of your life then so be it. A good thing in the long run. Smoking and vaping are stupid! I was addicted to those cancer sticks for 30 years, and quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it CAN be done.

Don't start!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh man, that's too bad! You'll never forget this for as long as you live. My Dad was always super tough as well, but the lessons he taught me have already been passed down generations. My first car was a big project rebuilding a '53 Studebaker from the ground up with him. I'll always appreciate the foresight he had starting me out like that with the reward at the end of having a cool car and all the mechanical knowledge learned. Seemed like it took forever making enough money for each step of the process. Little did I know I had more pocket change then than I ever have as an "old guy!" HA!

You'll get another truck some day, and appreciate it even more than this one. It just doesn't feel like it for now. Each lesson learned (especially the hard ones) make you more of the man you will be. Hang in there. We'll miss you around here and hope to see you back! It's been fun sharing your excitement. Best of luck with everything!

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I feel the same way as you. Dad taught us well, did not feel like it at the time, but when we look back, we see it. Wish he was still here to share more of the knowledge. I am old enough now to accept what he would say. Not young and dumb like before.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Yep. Miss my dad every day and it just kills when I can't call for advice when I know he's the only one who would know the answer. Makes you appreciate each day and all the lessons learned.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4
Them good old days are just memories now. Will never forget them! Lost my Dad when I was 23, too early.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Rules are rules...take it fm a military retiree - breaking them never results on good outcome. Also, my father died 1-month prior to my retirement ceremony, which was hard...smoked since he was 12-yrs-old & @ 71 his lungs were like raisins. Vaping is not a safe alternative to cigarettes/smoking as the long-term results are unknown. Either way, inhaling crap into your lungs isn't going to make them function in a healthy manner. Sux you lost your truck, but in the long run you'll be thanking your parents for the health lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
thank y'all so much

Great replies from all here . . .

Here's an idea. Maybe show your parents the replies in this thread so they can see that their own sentiments and life lessons are echoed and that you were in good company here.
Who knows. . . they will at least see you have been keeping some good company. ::chevy::

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Great idea GraniteBlue05. They will see their son is well taken care of.

jdmac9, you are one of the really nice young guys on the forum, and we wish you well, even though your parents got rid of your truck, it’s not the end of the world. Take care!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well, when you turn 18, you can move out, get a job, buy your own truck and vape away... In the meantime, do what your parents tell you and always love them because they (usually) just want what's best for you... Good luck, kid and do good...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
28 Participants
MV10
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing