Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some input regarding the Anderson WDH. I have a 2018 Colorado CCSB 3.6 LT 4x4, and am currently pulling a 22ft Bullet Crossfire 1700 BH (Keystone) with a 4700 lb GVWR using a Husky Centerline hitch.
When ready for camping, the truck is pretty close to max I think, with a tongue weight around 550 - 600 lbs.

I like the hitch itself except for the weight. I am not getting any younger! It seems to be a good hitch for both weight transfer & sway control.

I have read/heard a few comments about the Anderson hitch not really transferring the TT weight very effectively to the front wheels. I am considering getting the Anderson, but am wondering if the weight transfer would be okay with this arrangement on this truck?

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
I have the Andersen towing a 26ft, 7500 GVWR. My tongue weight is closer to 750 when I'm ready to go. What you've read is correct, it doesn't transfer weight as effectively to the front wheels. My unhitched front axle comes in at 2750#, hitched with the andersen, it only returns to 2580#. If your truck is stock / without a levelling kit, you shouldn't be too bad with the stock rake, and your weights using the Andersen. I borrowed the husky centerline and also a equal-i-zer, I liked the equalizer best overall, but it is heavy. The andersen to me outperforms the husky in terms of sway control and bounce.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4, CCSB, V6, leather, tow package, Bakflip MX4
81 Posts
We have used an Andersen towing our 17' Casita for over 12,000 miles in the past 1.5 years, first with a 2017 JKU Rubicon and our present 2021 Canyon AT4. I like it a lot, no sway even with passing semis and strong cross winds. No bucking or porpoising, almost forget it is back there at times. The Andersen is lighter than the conventional spring bar WDH and no messy grease. It is easy to hook up and adjust. Hoitzed is correct on it not transferring weight as effectively as the conventional WDH and in my opinion are at their best with trailers of 5000# or less. I think the Andersen would be a good match for your rig.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I used the Andersen WDH for a while, switched to it because the Fastway e2 was quite heavy. I'd definitely use the Andersen again, between the much lighter weight and the ease of adjustment it was a pleasure to use.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Midnight Edition
100 Posts
We have the equalizer with out 23' camper. Sees to work well. It is heavy though. And can be a pain to take to take the load bars on and off. Overall really lie it though. Does what it needs to do

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I use the Curt square trunnion bar 5,000# Hitch and it does a great job at transferring weight to the front wheels and eliminating any squat. 5 years and like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a BlueOx 10,000 lb, and the hitch is heavy. the only problem is I still have sway, aggravating, so I am installing a anti-sway device on the trailer frame as well, see how that goes..4800lb trailer, and it feels like your flying a kite behind the truck...

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
I have a BlueOx 10,000 lb, and the hitch is heavy. the only problem is I still have sway, aggravating, so I am installing a anti-sway device on the trailer frame as well, see how that goes..4800lb trailer, and it feels like your flying a kite behind the truck...
Do you have the regular blueox or the blueox sway pro? Also, what's your tongue weight measured at? I'm towing just above that at 5200 lbs, and running close to 750lbs of tongue for it to feel solid. I've backed it up to 600 before and I could definitely feel the difference.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I have read/heard a few comments about the Anderson hitch not really transferring the TT weight very effectively to the front wheels.
I've often wondered how you'd get a consistent load from time to time with the Anderson. As I recall their video they advise turning the nut X number of times, but where the nut first makes contact would vary depending on the attitude of the trailer. Is that a concern?

With a bar and chain it should be consistent from time to time if you use the same link.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
I've often wondered how you'd get a consistent load from time to time with the Anderson. As I recall their video they advise turning the nut X number of times, but where the nut first makes contact would vary depending on the attitude of the trailer. Is that a concern?

With a bar and chain it should be consistent from time to time if you use the same link.
It's not much of a concern, I'd say it's half feeling and half managed by the urethane bushing. The "spring" which helps control bounce, also (unfortunately) limits the weight transfer. I've counted threads, and it's fairly consistent, but also just tightening and looking at the 'bulge' is also pretty equivalent. I've done 6 scale weights this season, and they've all been within 75lbs of each other.. good enough for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not much of a concern, I'd say it's half feeling and half managed by the urethane bushing. The "spring" which helps control bounce, also (unfortunately) limits the weight transfer. I've counted threads, and it's fairly consistent, but also just tightening and looking at the 'bulge' is also pretty equivalent. I've done 6 scale weights this season, and they've all been within 75lbs of each other.. good enough for me.
Thanks for all the input.
I have talked to a guy who has installed the Andersen for his TT.
Granted, his trailer is MUCH bigger & heavier than mine, but he says that the weight distribution changes according to how many threads are actually showing past the red bushing.
He has his set at around 5 links (I think) and the actual installer told him that if he needs more weight at the front of the truck, he can increase the thread count to around 10 threads showing.
I am definitely leaning toward the Andersen hitch (mainly because of the weight of the others), but do want be ensure that the weight can effectively put back on the front axle for steering & control purposes.
I think that with a 4700 lb GVWR on the trailer, this SHOULD work well.
Comments or opinions?

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
Granted, his trailer is MUCH bigger & heavier than mine, but he says that the weight distribution changes according to how many threads are actually showing past the red bushing.
He has his set at around 5 links (I think) and the actual installer told him that if he needs more weight at the front of the truck, he can increase the thread count to around 10 threads showing.
I am definitely leaning toward the Andersen hitch (mainly because of the weight of the others), but do want be ensure that the weight can effectively put back on the front axle for steering & control purposes.
Comments or opinions?
It does change, but not as much as you'd think. I think Andersen recommends 4 turns past "snug" in their manual - would have to read it again. The links don't make a difference, the bushing has to be snug to do any work at all. I measured the difference between 7 threads and 11 threads, and the difference I could muster was about 70 lbs of weight restoration to the front wheels. On 7 threads I came in at 2574lbs front axle, and 11 threads came in at 2508lbs, front axle. But the stability (bounce / sway) of the trailer was definitely noticeable.

fyi. my trailer is 7500 GVWR, but weighs in around 5200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Comments or opinions?
I’ve read a lot of good things about Andersen hitch products and will be installing a Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch on my Canyon.

the people on the same towing subforum that likes the Andersen Ultimate sing a lot of praises for the WDH

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
I’ve read a lot of good things about Andersen hitch products and will be installing a Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch on my Canyon.

the people on the same towing subforum that likes the Andersen Ultimate sing a lot of praises for the WDH
I love my Andersen too, but like any product it has limitations. It's nice that you can install that hitch on your long box.. there was no way I could fit it into the shorty..

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I've always thought the BlueOx claim of sway control to be suspect, but rather than looking for another hitch I'd look at increasing tongue weight and if that doesn't work maybe stiffer trailer tire sidewalls. My tandem axle trailer at 4,600 has no sway with just a simple cheap WDH (Eaz Lift). Goodyear Endurance tires.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
We have the equalizer with out 23' camper. Sees to work well. It is heavy though. And can be a pain to take to take the load bars on and off. Overall really lie it though. Does what it needs to do
I realize this is an older post, and since Midnight mentions taking them off this comment probably doesn't apply to them. But it reminds me of a post where someone didn't realize that it's easier to put the bars on if you jack up the tongue. I'm not even sure my dad realized that back in the day, although with a hand crank tongue jack maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It does change, but not as much as you'd think. I think Andersen recommends 4 turns past "snug" in their manual - would have to read it again. The links don't make a difference, the bushing has to be snug to do any work at all. I measured the difference between 7 threads and 11 threads, and the difference I could muster was about 70 lbs of weight restoration to the front wheels. On 7 threads I came in at 2574lbs front axle, and 11 threads came in at 2508lbs, front axle. But the stability (bounce / sway) of the trailer was definitely noticeable.

fyi. my trailer is 7500 GVWR, but weighs in around 5200.
Thanks Hoitzed.

Just to be sure I understand....You mentioned that the bounce/sway was definitely noticeable with your trailer.
Does that mean that you noticed increased bounce/sway when increasing the thread count on the red bushing, or do you meant that the bounce/sway was noticeable when using the WDH itself, regardless of thread count on the bolt?
If that is the case, then would you prefer to use some other brand of WDH to better control stability (bounce/sway)?

·
Registered
2017 Canyon SLT CCSB
97 Posts
Thanks Hoitzed.

Just to be sure I understand....You mentioned that the bounce/sway was definitely noticeable with your trailer.
Does that mean that you noticed increased bounce/sway when increasing the thread count on the red bushing, or do you meant that the bounce/sway was noticeable when using the WDH itself, regardless of thread count on the bolt?
If that is the case, then would you prefer to use some other brand of WDH to better control stability (bounce/sway)?
Sorry, wasn't being clear. Reducing the thread count caused more sway. I'm perfectly happy with it tensioned properly.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
It occurred to me that once you set it up on level and do a weigh your comfortable with, at that point you can count the threads to get back to the same point in future connections.

I'm a bit concerned that people say it doesn't transfer as much weight, because my bar and chains do that rather well with only moderate force. They are a bit oversized though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts