Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Based on your testimony and some internet research, the Andersen seems like the way to go. I'll pick one up this week when I get the trailer. Thanks for your feedback.
I hope you like it as much as I do! While the lighter weight was what drew me to the Andersen, the ease of getting the WDH dialed in is a great bonus. The biggest learning curve is getting it lined up so the chains mount to the triangle plate without having to re-adjust where you're parked. The videos and manual tell you to hitch up at the same angle as you unhitched and if the angle is off to connect one chain and then pull straight forward to even them out to attach the other chain. That's a bit much. Two alternatives that have worked well for me...

- Back up to the trailer and use a rubber mallet to tap the triangle plate so that it is perpendicular to trailer for equal chain length, then hitch up.
or
- Back up, get the angle as close as possible, hitch up, and then loosen/tighten the chains as needed to attach them to the plate, then tighten the chains to the correct tension based on front fender height. Don't want the triangle plate angle to be way off but it doesn't need to be 100% exact either.

After some practice you'll find what works best for you.

One thing I will highly suggest is an electric tongue jack if you don't have one already. I have a Husky Brute that works great and makes raising and lowering the trailer/truck to get the WDH chains in place a breeze. Manually cranking the trailer/truck up and down for the WDH gets real old real fast, especially if it's super hot or raining.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hope you like it as much as I do! While the lighter weight was what drew me to the Andersen, the ease of getting the WDH dialed in is a great bonus. The biggest learning curve is getting it lined up so the chains mount to the triangle plate without having to re-adjust where you're parked.
Well I lied. I ended up going with the E2, since I could find it locally and in a hurry. Below is a photo of what the idiot RV dealer sent me home with (luckily very close by) and then again with the WDH (that I bought somewhere else).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Well I lied. I ended up going with the E2, since I could find it locally and in a hurry. Below is a photo of what the idiot RV dealer sent me home with (luckily very close by) and then again with the WDH (that I bought somewhere else).
Looks much better now, can't believe the dealer sent you on your way with it set so horribly wrong! The e2 hitch will do great, looks like you have the trunnion bar version, I had the round bar version. Great hitch for the money.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have made that comment many times about WD Hitches. When you buy a trailer, the dealer just wants you out the door, and do not take time to set them up correctly. It is not uncommon to tweek one a couple of times before you find the sweet spot. Once it is set, it is set. You will know, how it tows. I have never seen one off as far as the way the dealer set yours.

Watch this video:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The Hensley WD Hitch is the best you can buy, if money is no problem, because they are very expensive, but the design is awesome.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
16WhiteColly
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing