Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to put 65w headlights in the low beam spot and wanted to make sure it will hold it before I go ahead and get them. Basically putting high beam bulbs in the low beam spot. :) Better to be safe than sorry!

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
It may burn and melt the plugs. I had 65 watt xenon bulbs in place of my stock H11 55w fog light bulbs and noticed the passenger side flickering. When I unplugged the bulb I noticed the contacts were black and the plastic plug had melted.

Most local auto parts stores have plug upgrades with a little heavier gauge wiring.

·
Registered
317 Posts
DBNissan said:
It may burn and melt the plugs. I had 65 watt xenon bulbs in place of my stock H11 55w fog light bulbs and noticed the passenger side flickering. When I unplugged the bulb I noticed the contacts were black and the plastic plug had melted.

Most local auto parts stores have plug upgrades with a little heavier gauge wiring.
That's a pretty small space in a fog light for a hotter bulb, which increases the temperatures inside the light housing, and running a larger gauge wire to the plugs will only exasperate the heat build up. The high beams are 65 watt from the factory, and I'd bet money that GM doesn't run two different gauge wires to each light.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
The fog light bulb harnesses are also out in the open and not close to the engine compartment where ambient temps are much higher. The plug I am talking about that is sold at most FLAPS has a high temp resistant plug with heavier gauge wiring. the wiring in our trucks may handle the 10 extra watts, it's the plug that may melt.

·
Registered
317 Posts
DBNissan said:
The fog light bulb harnesses are also out in the open and not close to the engine compartment where ambient temps are much higher. The plug I am talking about that is sold at most FLAPS has a high temp resistant plug with heavier gauge wiring. the wiring in our trucks may handle the 10 extra watts, it's the plug that may melt.
Was your plug melted on the back, or where the bulb goes into the plug? The temperatures I was meaning was inside the light assembly itself. Fog lights get hot because the housing is so small around the bulb, and starts cooking plastic pieces.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i have 70 watt bulbs and no problems but mines a 2005 so my drls are usually on more than my headlights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts