Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened:

Watch "Ford Raptor vs Supercharged GMC Canyon Drag Race: Which V6 is Faster?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/P555cieaYtY

I need to figure out the best way to launch, I could have used more brake torque. I didn't even think about shutting off my traction control, I'm not sure if that system hurting or helping me.

I had fun doing it and the TFL guys are good guys. I really don't mind getting beat by a $70,000 truck. In a true 1/4 mile I think I would have passed him. >:)

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
doesnt the ripp sc make more power high into the powerband? around 4-5k rpms? that raptor has all that grunt down low around 2k-ish so no wonder you lost, but still give you more time im sure you'd pass him. good video guy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Too bad GM didn’t think of that on the ZR2...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the share! You're right a 1/4 mile run would have been more meaningful.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the zr2 should have come with either a twin turbo 3.6 or and 5.3 v8. Then we would be talking fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol at 5.3 v8. Seems aggressive when your trying to shave weight for a desert runner. And a twin turbo? What do you think this truck is a drag strip whip? It's a damn rock crawler. Do a swap and let me know how it goes..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ask the Rubicon guys how much $$$$$$$$ they have spent making their “high end Jeep with lockers” into a rock crawler...when their factory EVERYTHING broke...

GM should have offered a performance upgrade option for the non rock crawler crowd...

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Centrifugal just doesnt produce the low end power and without a higher stall converter you are handicapped in a drag race. Good showing though!

Reactions: Joedude

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Cool video!

I imagine towing your trailer up IKE was a chore before the mods. It is a chore just to drive a naturally aspirated car that is not towing anything up that hill. It is long and steep, and the air is thin. One really has to actually drive that hill to know. Not being ambitious like you, but living just south of you in Parker, I chose the diesel in large part because it is turbocharged. Colorado is rough on naturally aspirated vehicles once you really start going up the hill. It is funny, my diesel is admittedly a bit pokey in Denver compared to traffic, but up at really high elevations, it feels just the same, and become a comparative rocket ship, blowing past normal cars with ease. Can't wait to get the GDE tune on it :laugh:

While it rips down the hill, your truck has to an animal up on the high passes where most vehicles around you are losing half their power. Nice work and well done!

Reactions: UnlimitedMatt

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I say if GM make an Undersquared (Stroker) motor for the V6 it will be awesome. On a truck, bottom end torque is more apreciated it than High RPM HPs. Anyway, that is what you get with a 1 size fits all.

Nice video though, no shame on getting beat by a factory engineered high performance vehicle.

If there is any comfort, the lost was not by much.

Now, what about cost factor? After adding the supercharger and all the plumbing plus the cost of the truck Vs the Raptor?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Great job Matt!

BTW Did you hold down your traction control button for 10 seconds to disable traction control and stabilitrak?
Thanks James!

Honestly I didn't do anything with the traction control, and I only torque braked it to 1500 rpm on the second race. I have had zero practice in drag racing this truck. Heck, this race was set up on Wednesday and we raced on Friday.

Do you know if disabling the tc would let me take advantage of more torque?

But there has been a fascinating turn of events with my situation. Ross from RIPP reached out to Roman with TFL in order to get in touch with me after seeing that video. I had a great conversation with him. He said I should be using the high altitude pulley.

So a smaller pulley and shorter belt is in the mail. As soon as I get it installed, I will have my truck re-tuned.

Roman has promised me a rematch! Stay tuned!

P.S. Thanks for fixing the thread title.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Matt what temps are you towing at. trans and motor. just curious will like to compare to my stock Canyon
Sorry for slow response, I didn't see your question.

The hottest I ever saw the transmission temp was 239°, this was before the transmission cooler install. With the cooler, the hottest I ever saw was 221°.

My engine only went over 210° one time, it got to approximately 237° (halfway between the 210° mark and the 260° mark). This happened in September while I was towing my 5200# camper eastbound on I-70, up to the Eisenhower tunnel (the Ike Gauntlet). The ambient temperature was about 70° and I was pushing my truck hard, doing about 65 mph. I did have my a.c. off and the heater on to try to help cool it down. I didn't get any warning lights, but I didn't like it being that hot.

I'm hoping next summer will better since I will have more help from the supercharger and I also reversed the airflow on the transmission cooler to help remove some under hood heat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.