Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen threads on here from time to time about a snorkel for the intake on our Collys. I know that some members are also making their own 'ram air' systems.
I went to the Safari snorkels website and found that they still don't make snorkels to fit any Chevys, let alone the Colorado.
Here is where things get interesting though. We all know that the Colly shares the same design as the Isuzu I-290, I-370, DMax, and the new Holden Rodeo. Safari is going to release a snorkel for the new Holden Rodeo with the Diesel engine. Although the Colly doesn't have a diesel yet, this snorkel fits on the right side of the Rodeo. The truck is shown at the following link.
[/url]http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss165hf/ss165hf.htm

The Crew Cab Rodeo has the same identical cab and doors as the Crew Cab Colorado. Even though there are some minor differences in the fenders and grille, these two trucks are very similar. I'm thinking that this snorkel (with a few modifications) might work on the Colorado.

ARB is the US distributor for Safari snorkels.
http://www.arbusa.com I sent them an email asking why Safari doesn't make snorkels for Chevys and the Colly in particular. Since they already have a model for the new Rodeo I would think they could easily adapt it to work on our Colorados. I also told them that there is probably a huge market here in the US for snorkels. If you want a snorkel for your Colly, let them know. If they see some interest from us, maybe the almighty profit dollar will wake up and take notice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
p.s. they also can equip that truck with a snorkel stock in australia so maybe that would be something worth looking into? i dunno it goes further down the fender but its an idea

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been looking at the same thing, but I'm thinking it won't work with the Z71 flares, there is approx. 5 inches from the top of the fender tothe top of the flare. If you followed an imaginary line from the bottom of the mirror mount to the crease in our fender, and kind of super imposed it over the Aussie flare, it looks like we'd have to cut a large hole right through the Z71 flare. It look pretty crappy IMO. hoping this one would fit, but it doesn't look good. 4WOR mag took a Land Cruiser snorkel and mounted it on a Ranger, same side install as us. Looked good to. It wold be nice to find a shop with several models on display to test fit. When I had my Jeep I used PVC, It kind of fit the look I was trying to acheive. But it would look pretty butvh on the clean lines of the

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fmrjpr said:
I've been looking at the same thing, but I'm thinking it won't work with the Z71 flares, there is approx. 5 inches from the top of the fender tothe top of the flare. If you followed an imaginary line from the bottom of the mirror mount to the crease in our fender, and kind of super imposed it over the Aussie flare, it looks like we'd have to cut a large hole right through the Z71 flare. It look pretty crappy IMO. hoping this one would fit, but it doesn't look good. 4WOR mag took a Land Cruiser snorkel and mounted it on a Ranger, same side install as us. Looked good to. It wold be nice to find a shop with several models on display to test fit. When I had my Jeep I used PVC, It kind of fit the look I was trying to acheive. But it would look pretty butvh on the clean lines of the
I noticed the same thing. I think I could make this work by taking the Z71 flares off the front and install the smaller flares used on the non Z71 4X4s.
I don't think it would hurt the Collys looks. It might make the rear appear wider (almost like a dually pickup). :twisted:

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a email back from the folks at ARB in Washington State.

Thanks for your observations. Safari will not make a snorkel unless they actually have the vehicle at their location in Australia. GM does not sell the USA model trucks there. We would be happy to give you an SS160HF to do a test fit if you will coordinate with our tech department here and supply us with digital photos. We have the SS160HF in stock. I could bring in a SS165HF as well if you want to check it out.

Jim Jackson
President
ARB-USA
720 SW 34th Street
Renton, WA 98057-4814
Tel: 425-264-1391
Fax: 425-264-1392
Email: [email protected]
http://www.arbusa.com

I want to take them up on their offer and see if I can make this work on our Collys but I can't start this project before mid April. I know that some of the members on here are real good with mods and using digital cameras. If anyone wants to take a shot at this now, let me know. Otherwise, I will try in April. ARB is willing to give me (you) the parts to do a test fit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bummer I dont have a Coly/Canyon, my dad works in Renton, WA and I could get one test fitted same day. Oh well, sorry I cant help guys. :(

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ssgjurista, you think they might be willing to ship one to me? i could get it fit on my truck (with z71 flares) within a week of recieving it. i know i could, i have a plan 8)

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gettingspeedy said:
ssgjurista, you think they might be willing to ship one to me? i could get it fit on my truck (with z71 flares) within a week of recieving it. i know i could, i have a plan 8)
Awesome! Because of my job in the Army I can't start on this project until mid April. I emailed the president of ARB (Jim Jackson) here in the US. He said he would ship both the SS165HF and SS160HF kits to me. The only thing he asked for in return was digital pics of the install/test fit. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't send the kits to you if you can start right away.
Email me at [email protected] and I will send you the email I got from Jim Jackson. Or you can email him direct and mention my name (Scott)and our interest in the snorkel. His email is [email protected]

I'm thinking that if the Z71 flare was "notched" it would fit right over the bottom of the snorkel and look ok.

If you get this project going now, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gettingspeedy said:
i just emailed him, would you mind emailing him also and letting him know that i will do this.

thanks
Done. :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
well i got the snorkel kit, let me tell you about a close fit

the mid pipe from the air box to the snorel could be just a little more tailered for the colorado and you wouldnt have to trim the flare. if you remove your pass side inner fender there is a hole from the engine compartment to the fender, the radio wire goes through there. anyway if the mid pipe were made to run into that compartment it would be an exact fit for our trucks. the only other problem i see other than that is the snorkel brace on the a-piller.

its hard to describe in words. ill post pictures later

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
never mind, apperantly i needed one more minute of deleberation to realize i was trying to mount it upside down....doah!

dont tell the guys from arb....lol

i truly know what im doing...(bfh, check, duct tape, check)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts