Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a voltage reader plugged into my cigarette lighter. At different times, letting off the gas, turning sharp when going slow, and other times, voltage drops as low as 11.7. My remotes quit working about the same time this started. I'd there any connection and how can I fix it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not an expert. Service Manual remarks include:
-- A dash Charge warning will occur if the generator output is below 11V or above 16V
-- Battery Charging is variable controlled by ECM; if battery is low generator output is higher voltage
if battery is high (charge state) generator output is lower with as low as 11.0 volts possible.
-- Headlights On will force ECM to set generator output to 13.9 - 14.5 V

So sounds like your battery is fully charged, ECM 'sees' a low current load, ECM sets generator output to a low voltage. Believe this is done to provide a very slight MPG increase by reducing 'load' of generator on engine.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
So sounds like your battery is fully charged, ECM 'sees' a low current load, ECM sets generator output to a low voltage. Believe this is done to provide a very slight MPG increase by reducing 'load' of generator on engine.
But if it's going down to 11.7 I think that likely means the battery is old and on it's last legs. The OP really didn't provide any information.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I feel like the 1st gen doesn't have the smart charging system that our 2nd gen trucks have, but not sure. This thread is in the 1st gen section, not sure if you caught that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I feel like the 1st gen doesn't have the smart charging system that our 2nd gen trucks have, but not sure.
Not sure either, but I suspect that might be a year built thing assuming some don't. That's not such a major change that it would be more likely to appear in a new generation--such as is the case with adaptive cruise control, etc. AFAIK it might only require a different alternator, and I could see GM making that change just to slightly improve fuel economy numbers, particularly if that engine was used in other vehicles too (another thing I don't know).

As I noted, the OP didn't provide any information. I wouldn't even necessarily assume it's a 1st gen just because of the forum a first time poster picked.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
@Pitman18
Yes, they have a charging module connected to the PCM.
Who knows if that gizmo is accurate?
Take her to Autozone and let the kid put their little tester on it. Better than nothing.
As for remotes, if both died at the same time it must be the truck, IDK anything about that system.
Check out Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a voltage reader plugged into my cigarette lighter. At different times, letting off the gas, turning sharp when going slow, and other times, voltage drops as low as 11.7. My remotes quit working about the same time this started. I'd there any connection and how can I fix it?
Wonder if its not more of ground issue with the times its happening !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts