Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GMC Canyon SL with the 3.7L 5 cylinder, 26000 miles. I just ordered a Volant CAI for my truck two days ago and it should be here in a week. I have been reading on here (though all older posts and not 08s) about issues people have installing this intake and wanted to get some input. Did Volant fix the issue with the air pump intake or do you still have to modify the box? Do many people experience the "lean" code after installing this box and/or is this code thrown due to their not disconnecting the neg battery terminal to allow for a computer reset? Does anyone know of any actual instructions (not the BS parts included diagram that Volant calls instructions) for install? Yes, I know it is not the most complicated thing in the world to do but I like to have something to fall back on if I hit a snag.

Now before you say use the search function I have and nothing I have found answers the questions I have. I have also been searching the net and youtube and have found nothing that gives insight into my truck year. Seems that everyone has done this to the 07 with my engine but none to the 08 (all the 08 information I found is the 4 cylinder).

Thanks in advance. :grin:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Your thread title was interesting, but once I read your post I realized I could not help since I have an 06 and ordered a GM Performance Air Intake :neutral:.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the Volant intake for the 08 3.7L model 155376. It's PIA to install. The only thing thing that fit properly was the airbox. The rest is junk (well mostly). It looks like they updated this product because Volant's website only lists a 150376 for the 355's now and the picture it shows is a different design.
But I'll tell you what problems I was having with mine and how I rectified them.
-The airduct to the TB was too long so had to chop about 6" off with a hack saw.
-The supplied vent hose to the valve cover was too short so I just supplied my own.
-The rubber sleeve that is supposed to fit around the TB and airduct was impossible to fit on the TB. So I had to buy a 3"x3" rubber coupling. (you can get one at any plumbing or hardware store).
- The airbox does not have an attachment for the smogpump hose. So cut your own hole in the box accordingly. I used a 1 1/4" plastic elbow (one end is male threaded and the other is hose barb.)
- As for the filter, if you ordered the "powercore" They should also have supplied you with Pro-5 cotton filter as well. (atleast mine did anyway) I gave up using the powercore filter from constantly getting a lean code. If that happens just use the cotton gauze filter supplied. (you will have to buy a cleaning and oiling kit, I just bought a K&N kit because I could buy it locally and its the exact same sh!t).
- Another concern I had is placement of the MAF is so high up the wires are barely long enough to mount it.
- As for a tip to keep bugs and leafs from getting into the air box, I installed bugscreen around the 3 intake holes on the air box. I highly recommend doing this, it saves you the hassle of digging bugs out of the filter when you clean it.
So I hope this information comes in helpful to you.
This intake works fine once you fix all design flaws
GOOD LUCK!:smile:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks stock

Not the answer i hoped for but it is what i expected. Guess its too much to hope that a 280 "bolt on" would actually bolt on.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
if you can get a tune after install. you should not have any problems. i know a few changes were made between 07 and 08.

the 07 you can use an 06 tube(with ssk maf adapter plate) and your golden.

but will not work without throwing too lean code on 08 model same motor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you can get a tune after install. you should not have any problems. i know a few changes were made between 07 and 08.

the 07 you can use an 06 tube(with ssk maf adapter plate) and your golden.

but will not work without throwing too lean code on 08 model same motor.
I just do not get why they would list something as "direct bolt on" "easy install" "wont void factory warranty" if it is not a direct bolt on, requires moderate modification, and (based on it causing a lean code on your sensors) will likely void the warranty. I basically feel cheated at this point. Should have went with the K&N but I always heard that Volant was a better product. Guess that was bullshit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called Volant with the purpose of complaining but did not start out the convo that way. After about 15 minutes on the phone with a Technical Assistance Rep I have found out the issues here. Apparently there was a stock of 45 of these intakes that were incorrect. Some issue with the design where they did not include the air pump intake insert and the throttle body connection was not sized correctly. This issue was rectified "supposedly" and they recalled as many as they could (can't do anything for the ones that were already modified to be made to work). The Tech Rep also informed me that there is a standing policy that if someone purchases one with the "defect" that all they have to do is contact volant and the unit will be replaced on their dime (short of shipping I am certain). We will see how it goes and I will keep you all informed. When push comes to shove I guess it is always best to call the manufacturer haha.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Thanks for this post. I am going to purchase the volant intake for my 07 CC with the 3.7L real soon and its good to know that the MGF is standing behind their product.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for this post. I am going to purchase the volant intake for my 07 CC with the 3.7L real soon and its good to know that the MGF is standing behind their product.
Dont get excited just yet. The intake will be here tomorrow. If it does not have the air pump intake connection Ill be calling volant and testing the support they claim they will give.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K so an update.

My intake came today. First it is missing the part for the air pump intake. There is a threaded hole behind the rectangular opening that can be used with Volants ram air connection. This threaded hole is where a elbow would thread into that the air pump intake hose would connect directly into. Volant's Tech rep will be shipping one out to me today as it is a part that is supposed to be with the kit. So problem number one most people have solved. Call the manufacturer.

Now problem number two. The Tech said something about the 08 Canyon being a split year truck and that the straight throttle body works with the 155376 but if it is angled it is the other half of the production year and will not work with this model. It needs the 150376. I didnt think about it until I went downstairs to check out my intake placement and what not to get a mental picture for this weekends project. Well turns out I have the model with the angled throttle body. So the intake I have currently wont work. Based off of the pictures I believe it is the same in every way minus the intake to throttle body pipe. So, when tech support comes back I am going to ask if they will mail me out the correct tube and me mail in the incorrect one if everything else is the same. Wish me luck. If they wont do it Ill have to return this one, pay shipping, and a 15% restocking fee so I will get fuked in this deal.

Hoping for the best. We shall see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well volant is sending me a hole new intake and a free shipping label to send the incorrect one back to them. Now thats customer service considering i got the obe i currently have off a ebay retailer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got confirmation from volant. The new intake with appropriate air pump intake connection will be here friday. Ill let yall know after i put it on this weekend

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Volant intake 150376 came via fedex this evening. I partially assembled it indoors and will be putting it on the truck tomorrow. Pics will follow. Looks like itll fit just fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First let me apologize as I have no pictures. I couldnt find my camera as it is apparently packed in a box somewere (still havent fully unpacked from our move). The intake went in like cake. The only issues I ran into was the hose clamps sent with the kit to be used on the end that mated with the throttle body were too small. This was easily fixed by simply reusing the stock hose clamps that originally connected the resonator box to the throttle body. The other issue was the stock air pump hose connected fine to the elbow fitting that came with the kit (the piece that a number of the 07-08 kits are missing) but there was no hose clamp to seal the seating so I had to run out and purchase a 1 1/2" hose clamp to seal up this fitting. NOw I need to find a small filter to cover this intake spot as the kit does not come with a filter for it.

Overall simple install took about 35-40 minutes. No code thrown. Put about 30 miles on it today with no issues or problems. Love the sound it gives when under acceleration and it seems to idle smoother. I'll let yall know if I notice any significant gas mileage increases. Deffinately takes off better and has better acceleration.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The obes with 6 on the end is the power core model vs oil filter model. With yours being an 07 the 15537/155376 models are right for your truck. Just make sure if the inlet for the air intake pump is not there that you call volant before you modify it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts