Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went from an iPhone to a android about 4 months ago and have been pretty happy UNTIL, 4 days ago. i tried to call my wife from the voice prompt in the truck and it said something about destination. so i tried again saying..... phone...... CALL KRISTA.... then it asked me destination again.... thinking it was something i did i kept trying still no work.. then i unpaired and then repaired my phone still nothing says the same thing every time. i don't know if anyone else has a galaxy S8 and is having the same issue. maybe it was a update on the phone that just happen and the infotainment isn't liking it.. FYI phone is hooked up VIA bluetooth and not to the usb plug

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had something similar happen a while back. Voice activation for my USB music stopped working. It would say "Command Not Understood" when I attempted to play an specific song or album. If I just said "Play Albium", it would prompt me to give the album name, but would still fail. I could do navigation just fine so I knew the microphone was working and it could tell what I was saying. Then I tried calling someone using my bluetoothed phone and got the same problem. It just wouldnt detect my contact names. I could see all of the contacts and music listed in the infotainment screen as well so I knew it was picking everything up, but there seemed to be some disconnect with the voice system.

I wound up going into the menu and doing a factory reset and clear of personal settings. I'm not sure both were necessary, and it did wipe out my favorites and pairings, but after I reconnected my phone and USB drive, everything was working again.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I think my problem is not the same as yours but my truck has a horrible time understanding what I say. My Iphone and other car don't have a problem understanding me at all. I have all but given up on the voice stuff with this thing... "is that correct".....no..."is that correct".....no....rinse and repeat........

Reactions: Janster

·
Registered
968 Posts
Are you talking about "OK Google" commands (Android) or truck voice commands (GM)? For Android, you'd say "OK Google," and when it bloops at you, then say "Call Krista". No need for the word "phone" in there anywhere. It'll respond with something like, "Ok, calling Krista on mobile" or whatever the default phone profile is. You could alter that with, "Call Krista Office" if there are other numbers stored.

Prior to Google voice commands, I found the GM voice recognition to be pretty bad, but I've been surprised, "OK Google" is always recognized even if the music is loud, window is down, etc. ... I do have problems with "OK Google" navigation commands but that's Waze beta + Android Auto teething pains.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On another note. You will have to have your system update all your contacts again from your phone. It will delete everything as far as the contact go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can also long hold the voice button on your steering wheel and avoid the "ok google" bit.
Thank you so much for posting this! It was driving me crazy not being able to just hit the button.

Reactions: Hal 9000

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
You can also long hold the voice button on your steering wheel and avoid the "ok google" bit.
I need to play with this - sometimes my Canyon cannot understand me or find my wife's phone number no matter how hard I try. Then, the next day, I have a cold, laryngitis, can hardly croak out a "call wife" and it understands me perfectly.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think my problem is not the same as yours but my truck has a horrible time understanding what I say. My Iphone and other car don't have a problem understanding me at all. I have all but given up on the voice stuff with this thing... "is that correct".....no..."is that correct".....no....rinse and repeat........
Yea...she doesn’t understand me either sometimes. I either #1) give up or #2) talk slowly and pronounce everything.

For the most part - I can get the basic first commands OK (Navigation, Call, mymedia, etc). After that - I can select from the DIC.

I think there’s a distinct set of words she’ll understand and respond to initially. But outside of that...she doesn’t care. You drill down using specific words/phrases to get to what you need.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Yea...she doesn’t understand me either sometimes. I either #1) give up or #2) talk slowly and pronounce everything.

For the most part - I can get the basic first commands OK (Navigation, Call, mymedia, etc). After that - I can select from the DIC.

I think there’s a distinct set of words she’ll understand and respond to initially. But outside of that...she doesn’t care. You drill down using specific words/phrases to get to what you need.
My biggest problem is with telling her street names. Some of them it is impossible for her to understand. I mean not even freaking close! And some, no problem. My car understands me very well. It's strange.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My biggest problem is with telling her street names. Some of them it is impossible for her to understand. I mean not even freaking close! And some, no problem. My car understands me very well. It's strange.
LOL .... I usually always ask her to search for ‘Points of Interest’ -

There’s one location that she NEVER understands when I ask.....and although I know where this place is, I always search for it when I’m ‘off the beaten path’ and need a direct route.

She must be a recovering alcoholic or is trying to tell me something......

“Wheatland Beer Distributors”.

LOL I got so pissed off that I ended up adding it as a Contact in my phone!! She finds it easier when its in my phone!

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
LOL .... I usually always ask her to search for ‘Points of Interest’ -

There’s one location that she NEVER understands when I ask.....and although I know where this place is, I always search for it when I’m ‘off the beaten path’ and need a direct route.

She must be a recovering alcoholic or is trying to tell me something......

“Wheatland Beer Distributors”.

LOL I got so pissed off that I ended up adding it as a Contact in my phone!! She finds it easier when its in my phone!
ahahahaha!! Maybe someone at the Betty Ford clinic programmed it?? I am finding it curious that you always need the fastest route to the big beer store....lol

Reactions: Janster

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue- tell it to call some one and it takes me to destination prompts. I use the arrows on the steering wheel to go back to phone commands then say "call -----" and it tells me "command not understood." Just happened this morning. Deleted my phone and reconnected and it still had the problem. Interesting though- I tried saying "dial xxx-xxxx" and it understood that command just fine. May have to do the reset but not a fan of that. It takes up to two weeks to get an appointment at my local dealer to update the software on the infotainment system.

By the way- I cannot speak for Android phones but GM voice recognition is usually far better than Siri. Trying to talk to Siri with any kind of background or wind noise is useless.

Reactions: Michael Manning

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same issue- tell it to call some one and it takes me to destination prompts. I use the arrows on the steering wheel to go back to phone commands then say "call -----" and it tells me "command not understood." Just happened this morning. Deleted my phone and reconnected and it still had the problem. Interesting though- I tried saying "dial xxx-xxxx" and it understood that command just fine. May have to do the reset but not a fan of that. It takes up to two weeks to get an appointment at my local dealer to update the software on the infotainment system.

By the way- I cannot speak for Android phones but GM voice recognition is usually far better than Siri. Trying to talk to Siri with any kind of background or wind noise is useless.
Here's your solution. You have take it in the dealer and they will do an update at no charge for you. I had same issue for weeks and just took it to them and told them what was happening and in about an hour, it was done.

Hope they do your right for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
For OK Google problems, try erasing your voice profile and setting it up again. The two times I had problems being recognized, after re-training (which is just repeating Ok Google three or four times) the problems went away. I kind of suspect they changed something in a Google Assistant update (I let everything auto-update these days, just a guess).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar happen a while back. Voice activation for my USB music stopped working. It would say "Command Not Understood" when I attempted to play an specific song or album. If I just said "Play Albium", it would prompt me to give the album name, but would still fail. I could do navigation just fine so I knew the microphone was working and it could tell what I was saying. Then I tried calling someone using my bluetoothed phone and got the same problem. It just wouldnt detect my contact names. I could see all of the contacts and music listed in the infotainment screen as well so I knew it was picking everything up, but there seemed to be some disconnect with the voice system.

I wound up going into the menu and doing a factory reset and clear of personal settings. I'm not sure both were necessary, and it did wipe out my favorites and pairings, but after I reconnected my phone and USB drive, everything was working again.
Similar issue, but mine states voice commands is having trouble hearing but I am screaming at it lol do u think it would work to factory reset?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.