Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Not sure if this is a problem in the making but over the last week or so I've noticed a faint knocking feel/sound when I turn my wheels.

Its inconsistent/random. Feels like its been happening more when I straighten the truck out and the wheels swing back after making a sharp left turn. Cant say for sure. It also seems to go away after driving for a while vs when I first startup the truck and start driving around/turning.

It also feels like when I hit a bump in the road I can feel/hear that same knock, but its hard to distinguish from the rest of the sound the truck makes when going over a bump. Hard to say for sure.

I can kind of feel this small knock in the wheel/hear the faintest sound inside the cabin when it happens. You wouldnt notice it if you weren't listening for it.

Any ideas? Something I should get the dealer to take a look at? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
Make sure you do not have anything rolling around in a cuby hole like a tube of chapstick. That's is what I usually find

·
Registered
238 Posts
Might crawl under the front end and make sure you have not lost one of your jounce bumpers.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Ok thanks. Man I wouldnt even know where to look/start, but I will Google it and see what I can find.
I have a 2016 CC / WT 4 banger.

I know EXACTLY what sound you're talking about. It's minimal and random and doesnt come that often but I hear it. To be honest, I have no idea what it is and don't even know what to tell the service department when I bring it in for my oil change in December lol...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I heard this on my 16 & my 17 too, mostly coming from the passenger side. I have no clue as to what it is, just another quirk these trucks have. :frown2:

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heard it again this morning on the way to work. Was more of a soft clunk when turning the wheels.

As you said, how do I describe this to a dealer or ask them to replicate it hahaha? I just wanted to know if this is something that could be serious.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same sound and, as stated, it appears to come from the passenger side. It is not a harsh clunk. I get the sound only when backing into a parking spot. The motion of driving forward while turned to one lock, then reversing while simultaneously turning to the other lock. If it every bothers me I may throw my GoPro on the sway bar and replicate it to see what's going on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heard it again this morning while turning the wheels while stationary. I'll ask the dealer the next time Im there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm curious to know if anyone finds the source. Walking into my dealer with my Bajakit setup and asking them to check out a clunk might not be so easy....or under warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have this noise as well.

The truck also makes a lot of similar noise when I go down rough roads or over some speed bumps. Hard to tell if they're related, or coming from the same source, but it's very disappointing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Bajakit included the upper control arm and coilover. Install involved removing tierods end from knuckle, all strut bolts, complete upper control arm, and swaybar from frame. I also removed my swaybar endlinks. Every one of those components had there bolts torqued then re-torqued back to spec. I feel confident to say it's not coming from the UCA, strut, or their associated hardware.

·
Registered
285 Posts
TSB PIT5489B - I just had my 2015 Canyon sorted out. If you have knocking sound/feeling from the front end, have it checked out and mention this service bulletin (your dealership should immediately search TSB's for the symptoms you're reporting).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So this is a steering issue? BTW guys, for the last 2 days, the sound disappeared. Go figure....... Truck goes in the dealer next Saturday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.