Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a New 2017 Colorado Z71 from John Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs Georgia about 3 weeks ago. This is my 3rd Purchase of Chevrolet Vehicles in the past 25 years.
I always felt I could trust them until my US Mail was delivered today.

At the time of me doing the Final Paper work, as I was writing my Check.
The Representative started telling me about all the Electronics in this Vehicles and the Future Cost of Repairs after my 3 Year, 36,000 Mile Warranty Expires.

My last Chevrolet purchase came with the 100,000 mile warranty back in 2007, so I asked what are my options. The Representative told me he could sell me a GM Extended Warranty to 6 Years, 75,000 for this additional price. I questioned... This is a GM Warranty, not some Third Party Correct.
He said this a a GM Warranty...
I bought it.

Today in the US Mail, I get this letter Welcoming me to this Extended Warranty Plan that was not GM.
I lost it ! I was very Angry that I was Lied too...
I called the Dealer and they said... Oh we can cancel it if you want...
I said no, this is done...
But I wanted to let someone know, that I was lied too, and I don't even know what coverage I have with what I purchased.

So New Buyers beware...
I don't know if I should go ahead and cancel it or not.
But typically I know you never get your money back, it has penalties for cancellation.

Keith
Marietta, GA

·
Registered
850 Posts
I got the ally warranty master guard I think it was called with similar terms and a windsheild warranty for an extra 5 bucks a month. Idk what you paid for yours

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you're mad then cancel, get your money back, and order it from another dealer. Search the boards, some dealerships sell GM warranties for a great price.

Reactions: Brayan Rosales

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine was an additional $1400.00 added to the purchase of the Vehicle to push out to 6 Years, 75,000 Miles.
But since they told me it was extending the existing GM Warranty, and it was GM, I was good with that.
Now that I know it's not GM, I called the Dealer and asked them to Mail me what I got for my Money!
I asked for a letter of Apology from the John Thornton himself.
That was my way of knowing he knew that his employees was doing a Bait and Switch to Customers.
I clearly sold the Seller, I didn't want a Third Party Extended Warranty, I would only accept a GM Warranty.
They Lied !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told GM does not offer any additional Warranty for Purchase.
Only what comes with the Vehicle New which is 3 Years, 36,000 Miles.
Yes, I can cancel... But they don't give all your money back.
It's a Gimmick, and I fell for it.
I was very Clear, I would only be interested in a GM Extension.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What is the plan you got called? What name is on the paperwork?

I believe the "GM" extended warranty plan is called GMEPP now, it used to be called GMPP but that turned into an Ally Financial warranty plan a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ID Card says...
"First Extended Service Corporation"
It has my name, vin number, and expiration date of 6 years, or 75,000 Miles.
Clearly it is not GM, that is why I called the Dealer Ranting.
What I found interesting, I called the 800 number.
Closed today of course, and the first option to select is How to Cancel this Contract.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you cancel the plan within 30 days or 60 days in some states they refund the entire purchase. The catch is, they'll send it to the lender if you financed the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid cash for the truck, no lender...
I just found a huge write up by Consumer Affairs Website.
OMG, these guys are Crooks...
How in the Hell would my Dealer sell this to me for an Extended GM Warranty.
Based on the stories I have read, they want every little detail.
So if I change my own oil, for example... they would be cause to not cover an engine problem.
It looks like it is not worth the Risk, and go ahead and Cancel.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
They pulled that crap on my 15 Colorado. I wondered why the finance guy sprawled across the big digital document board to dicuss it with a pamphlet. I got my money back 3 days later, after discovering it when organizing my documents when I got home. Also explains why they wanted the wife as the primary signer, and kept handing me stuff, but directing all the spiels toward her.

Reactions: mexica

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need to check with my dealer and my paperwork tomorrow. They told me it was through GM, not a 3rd party. I asked if my warranty work would be done at the dealership and they said yes. Now you've got me wondering.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
First I never buy the extended warranty. But that is another argument.

If this is not a GM warranty you have time to cancel this and I would recommend this if you have no info on this warranty company.

Some warranties are ok but some are only toilet paper.

Dealer can be very dishonest and you have to really watch the bait and switch. Hell the sales pitch on the warranty is most times just a scare tactic.

Most times you set that $1400 aside for repairs 90% of the time you will have it for a down payment 10 years from now.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if it's ally, it should be a quick fix, i cancelled mine after the papers came in, it runs CONCURRENT with the manufacturer warranty, so if you bought 48k/4 years , then you really just purchased 12k/1 year of extra(bumper to bumper) warranty, since were covered for 3/36k.

pretty dumb, it's a scheme.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I purchased a New 2017 Colorado Z71 from John Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs Georgia about 3 weeks ago. This is my 3rd Purchase of Chevrolet Vehicles in the past 25 years.
I always felt I could trust them until my US Mail was delivered today.

At the time of me doing the Final Paper work, as I was writing my Check.
The Representative started telling me about all the Electronics in this Vehicles and the Future Cost of Repairs after my 3 Year, 36,000 Mile Warranty Expires.

My last Chevrolet purchase came with the 100,000 mile warranty back in 2007, so I asked what are my options. The Representative told me he could sell me a GM Extended Warranty to 6 Years, 75,000 for this additional price. I questioned... This is a GM Warranty, not some Third Party Correct.
He said this a a GM Warranty...
I bought it.

Today in the US Mail, I get this letter Welcoming me to this Extended Warranty Plan that was not GM.
I lost it ! I was very Angry that I was Lied too...
I called the Dealer and they said... Oh we can cancel it if you want...
I said no, this is done...
But I wanted to let someone know, that I was lied too, and I don't even know what coverage I have with what I purchased.

So New Buyers beware...
I don't know if I should go ahead and cancel it or not.
But typically I know you never get your money back, it has penalties for cancellation.

Keith
Marietta, GA
I would cancel it so that jackass doesn't get his commission. I think you can buy those warranties anytime, like in about 36K miles.........

·
Registered
458 Posts
Now I'll have to look at my paperwork. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been there. Lying bastards tried to get me hooked on it. I declined the first offer. Then he pitched a slightly lower option, and so on and so forth through about 5 different options and 5 different times I had to decline before finally getting through everything. Luckily I had already been through this gimmick and already knew all the details from when I bought my Cruze in 2015. Best advice if you're unsure, a quick google search will yield enough info to assist your decision to decline. Just tell Mr. Finance guy/salesman to pause while you do some research of your own. Or better yet, ask him to google it for ya Lol.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The sale of extended warranties are often one of the most underhanded things.

The spend hours telling you how great and reliable the truck is and how good the warranty is then end up telling you how short your warranty is and how much the truck is going to be to fix.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
If they sold you a warranty service, it will be able to be used at any GM dealership. So even tho it wasn't technically a "GM" warranty....it will work wherever you go.
You do not need to buy this today. You have full coverage for 3 or more years.

Do your home work and find the best plan just as you did Finding a truck.

I still get plan offers on my 9 year old car.

You may also find out that the truck is reliable enough you may not need it.

Too many buy on a split second decision while hearing a scare tactic speach. Do you home work and take you time as the plans can be bought years later. You also have full coverage for 3 or more years

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.