Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s hear some ideas of tools that all truck owners should have and carry with them. I would like to start with this one. In my 54 years of driving I have never had one, but bought one about 6 months ago, and lucky that I had it, I needed it and used it two months after buying it. I got a puncture in a tire, a pretty fast leak and needed to get to Discount Tire about 6 miles away. This little compressor came in handy and did a fast, awesome job of filling the flat tire. Had a spare but could not get it out from under the truck because it had a lock and the key was not with me. Let me give high reviews on this compressor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OBD II scanner
Metric/Standard Deep/Shallow socket set, 1/4 inch drive. (All the way from 4-15mm or so, you need the small ones especially!)
Voltmeter/Multimeter
12v power probe, or something to test fuses (has a little light in the handle)
Electrical tape
4in1 screwdriver

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always carry the OBD II scanner and multimeter. Have a Power Probe, need to add it to the collection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also like to carry a machete in my truck. Survival situation, while super unlikely, could come about. I also carry waterproof gloves, safety glasses, and even some first aid stuff.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I am typically carrying:

Jumper Cables
Socket set (1/4 & 3/8 sizes) with a breaker bar and various extensions
Adjustable Wrench (Metric & SAE):D
Pliers, slip-joint and Channel Lock style
Torx - mine are for a socket set.
Screwdrivers (also have one of those 4 in 1 jobs)
digital multi-meter
knife
tarp - to lay on to crawl under, to cover stuff, etc.
Allen/Hex wrenches - although I am not sure there is any fasteners that use this anymore.
Electrical tape
Rope, elastic cords and other devices to secure things, zip ties
Fuses/spare bulbs - since most bulbs come in packages of two.
Bluetooth OBD Scanner
mini-air compressor
flashlight
Tool to turn water of at residence (don't ask, mine is home made, it can double as a cheater pipe. )

And most importantly, my PHONE. With it, I can use the flashlight mode, I can find a u-tube video or ask you guys a question, and as a last resort, call a tow truck.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Duct tape. Baling wire. Zip ties.

You'd be amazed at what you can use these things for.
Just an example of what those things might come in handy for, years ago I had the exhaust pipe break off, just behind the cat. converter if I recall correctly. I needed to tie the front of the rear portion up so that it wouldn't drag on the ground. I don't remember what I used, but any of those three would have worked.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Just an example of what those things might come in handy for, years ago I had the exhaust pipe break off, just behind the cat. converter if I recall correctly. I needed to tie the front of the rear portion up so that it wouldn't drag on the ground. I don't remember what I used, but any of those three would have worked.
I hope you used baling wire. The zip ties would have melted and the duct tape burned on the exhaust system I would imagine.

But, you made it work. I once had a battery clamp bolt on a lead clamp snap in two from corrosion. I used a pair of vice grips to secure the clamp while I went to the parts store to get a replacement. Some tools are more valuable than others.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I hope you used baling wire. The zip ties would have melted and the duct tape burned on the exhaust system I would imagine.
If fell off right when I was leaving work, so nothing was terribly warm. And because that portion was no longer connected up to the rest of the exhaust it stayed cold. The portion of the exhaust still connected to the engine was still suspended. Actually I think that portion forward is still original--on an 1989!

But that brings up another thing--something to lay down on. I wasn't exactly dressed well for working under a truck, but fortunately I carried a moving blanket with me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have always carried:
Flashlight,Air Compressor/ Tire Inflater, Tire Plug Kit, Jumper Cables, recovery strap and Basic Tool Kit (screwdrivers, wrenches and ratchet set).

I have added things since like:
Harbor Freight moving blanket, full size bath towel, work gloves, knife, 4X4 block (lifted truck problems, place under trailer jack, wheel chock, etc) and a slew of other things.

Let's just say I feel lost when I travel in someone else's vehicle, I'm so adjusted to being able to run out to my truck and find something to improvise for any situation.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Im still looking for a better jack, but I found a 1/2" breaker bar and deep socket for the lug nuts is much better than what comes with the truck.
I still carry a folding 4-way to help someone else. Also keep a set of jumper cables, booster battery (questionable), rubber tire chalks, OBD tool (yes, it came in handy when I got a timing code), mini 12V air pump, pressure gage, and some zombie SHTF tools.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also carry a lot of the things you are mentioning, but I had to really highlight the small compressor, because it was so helpful in a bad situation. If you don’t have one, I will say it is the best $70 I have ever spent. Towing a travel trailer often, it’s is a must.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im still looking for a better jack, but I found a 1/2" breaker bar and deep socket for the lug nuts is much better than what comes with the truck.
I still carry a folding 4-way to help someone else. Also keep a set of rubber tire chalks, OBD tool (yes, it came in handy when I got a timing code), mini 12V air pump, and some zombie SHTF tools.
Carry this too. This is the one for you.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Works great for a trailer jack, but it’s a little bulky.

·
Registered
104 Posts
AAA card,
Micro Jumper
Jumper cables
Full socket set (3/8"& 1/2") Metric and Standard
Small (1/4") socket set, all Metric.
24" 1/2" breaker bar, actually have one in every vehicle with the appropriate lug socket
Extra hitch receivers( 1 7/8", 2", 2 5/16")
Extra belt,
Windshield washer fluid, Orange
gloves,
Beanie
Multi function knife
TP
Zip ties,
Load straps
Flashlight
Collapsible fly fishing rod and gear
Cell phone charging cable.

All this fit underneath and behind the back seats of my 2500HD, some of those have made it into the ZR2 and still working on adding more. I drove and still do drive the 2500. Those are just thing in the years I needed and thus just ended up staying in the truck.

·
Registered
189 Posts

1. I also carry a lot of the things you are mentioning, but I had to really highlight the small compressor, because it was so helpful in a bad situation. If you don’t have one, I will say it is the best $70 I have ever spent. Towing a travel trailer often, it’s is a must.
    Where do you store this in your Colorado?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I carry a fully equipped tool case plus socket set.
Tow strap & chain
4 ton bottle jack
Breaker bar
Small shovel
Ice scrapper
Air compressor
Booster pack & cables
Ratchet staps for securing loads
etc.....

Mostly for helping others......

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1. Where do you store this in your Colorado?
The compressor, I store inside, I have a cargo floor where I removed the fold down seats from the extended cab. I will say though, the little compressor layer real comfy in the extended battery tray in front of the battery behind the headlight, when I was driving to Discount Tire with my bad tire. Left it hooked up with the hose rolled up, because I thought I would need it on the way, since the tire was leaking fast.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts