Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 19 Canyon for two months now and hardly ever see the V6 indicator on the driver information screen change to V4. Going down slight grades, off the gas coasting to a traffic light, cruise control set on flat stretches of smooth interstate and can count on one hand the times I've noticed the system switch to V4 and only for a moment. What have you seen?

·
Registered
2019 Colorado Z71 Black, factory steps and rollup tonneau, pop and lock tailgate lock, S-V4 LEDs
43 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have only had my 19 Colorado a week and only has 800 miles. I have been watching for the V4 to come on but have not ever seen it. Thinking maybe it needs a break in period before the computer allows it to activate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a 19 Colorado and have had it 5 months now and just over 5,000 miles. What I've noticed with mine is you see it go to V4 consistently if you're going downhill or a flat surface and you are only slightly pushing the gas (usually not even hard enough to maintain speed). If you let go of the gas it will instantly switch back to V6 or if you push the gas just a little more it'll also switch back.

Anyone seen something different?

·
Registered
222 Posts
It will only switch to V4 when torque demand is at its lowest and either in a downhill or level situation, under acceleration or uphill it will always go V6, if you feather the accelerator just right while cruising, barely pressing the accelerator, it will switch V4 because if your off the accelerator completely the engine management will assume you want engine braking, if you go cruise control you will notice the V4 pop up often because it will assume you want economy over acceleration or torque. It take a little bit to master but when you do you can get between 28-32 highway MPG and 24 combined MPG.....I've mastered it pretty much and my driving mostly is level very few hills do I ever need to traverse.....

·
Registered
656 Posts
As noted, I see V4 fairly often on flat roads or slight downhills when holding a very steady accelerator. It doesn't switch on downhills if you are off the pedal, because it assumes engine braking.
If you drive this thing with a light foot, it gets great mileage. I have a ZR2 that is rated at 16/18 MPG. I haven't reset the trip odometer since I bought the truck and it shows an average of 20.1 MPG over 16,000 miles. That includes a good bit of off road and sand driving where the MPG sucks.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
For two years it's been when downhill, extremely light throttle load. After installing 4.10 gears I get V4 more often on flat ground with light throttle. Gears gave me 2mpg in town and took it away on the freeway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm almost never on the particular DIC screen that shows that info. :)

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
The V4 is only for very light throttle and torque conditions. GM only does it to earn off cycle credits on emission. The added MPG really little if any.

Read up on Off Cycle Credits as they can be in many forms and the automakers are using them more and more to meet numbers.

They apply to things that there are no standard test to check and the government applies a set credit to be gained for having a specific item on the vehicles. Auto Stop. Some reflective glass. low resistance alternators etc can all gain credits that help the MFG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my 19 Canyon for two months now and hardly ever see the V6 indicator on the driver information screen change to V4. Going down slight grades, off the gas coasting to a traffic light, cruise control set on flat stretches of smooth interstate and can count on one hand the times I've noticed the system switch to V4 and only for a moment. What have you seen?
It only comes on coasting down hill. Never with any amount of acceleration.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have also found that driving in "M" mode will see V-4 more than just the regular conditions stated above. I can get it to do it almost daily, now that I know what sets it off.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado Z71 Black, factory steps and rollup tonneau, pop and lock tailgate lock, S-V4 LEDs
43 Posts
Driving around with a really light foot, I have been able to jump into V4 mode several times. I think that during the first 500 or so miles, the engine computer won't let it go into V4 mode for break in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What I've been trying to figure out is, do the WT's even have V4 mode? There no V6-V4 indicator on the dash (that I've found), but I've gotten MPG estimates as high as 32.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What I've been trying to figure out is, do the WT's even have V4 mode? There no V6-V4 indicator on the dash (that I've found), but I've gotten MPG estimates as high as 32.
That would depend on your truck. Unless you optioned the V6, or bought a Crew Cab 4x4 or Crew Cab Long Box 2WD where the V6 is Standard, the WT has a V4.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That would depend on your truck. Unless you optioned the V6, or bought a Crew Cab 4x4 or Crew Cab Long Box 2WD where the V6 is Standard, the WT has a V4.
I definitely have a V6. I can see it underneath the giant piece of plastic that says "V6" on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I definitely have a V6. I can see it underneath the giant piece of plastic that says "V6" on it.
LOL. Anyhow, you can try looking at the Trip 1/Trip 2 DIC pages for the V6/V4 operation mode, that's where it is on my Z71, but I believe the WT DIC is different than the Z71 DIC. So, may or may not be on the Trip pages.

If you ask me, the Trip pages are a dumb place to put it. Personally, I only switch to / look at the Trip pages after filling up with gas to do my MPG calcuations... and when done reset the pages and switch back to my desired page.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had 2019 Colorado Z71 for about 3 1/2 months, at first the V4 mode would rarely turn on, mostly on interstates going down hill, now I see more regularly, mostly on level roads less than 50mph, maybe it's just learning my driving style

·
Registered
288 Posts
My understanding is the the WT trim package DIC does not indicate V4/V6.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Technically speaking, the truck is supposed to switch to V4 while "coasting", and I've only seen it a few more times. Not sure if it really makes much of a difference at all lol.

I kind of stopped paying attention to it (the curiosity of it faded after a few months :LOL:) but I feel it did it more before than now. When I used to look for it on the gauge screen, I noticed it did it briefly when I stopped before a traffic light, and laying off the gas getting off a highway exit.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
the WT has a V4.
Minor correction, it's an I-4. The V and I refer to the cylinder configuration, are they inline (I) or in a V? Then there are Porsche and Subaru engines that are "flat" with opposing cylinders.

Anyway, not nitpicking just explaining the differences between V, inline, and flat engines.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Technically speaking, the truck is supposed to switch to V4 while "coasting", and I've only seen it a few more times. Not sure if it really makes much of a difference at all lol.
While it may switch to V4 mode while coasting, that is not where it can make any difference and isn't what it was meant for. It's supposed to switch to V4 while under low-load steady cruising to help with fuel economy. When coasting there is literally zero fuel being injected into the engine so while the engine may switch to V4 mode it has no affect on fuel economy by doing so.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts