Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Canyon and use CarPlay in it. Recently while traveling for business I was given a 2018 Colorado rental, also with CarPlay.
While most of it was the same I liked the fresher looking icons when in the "home" area of the infotainment and most importantly I was able to hit the "Rear Camera" button while driving to get a look behind me. That feature interests me most, I trailer a small sailboat often and being able to take a look it while moving forward would be great.
Does anyone know if I can upgrade my truck to have the "new" software? The hardware has to be the same, I would think it's just a software thing.
My truck was in for service last month, they didn't have any required software updates, just recalls...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have a 2016 Canyon and use CarPlay in it. Recently while traveling for business I was given a 2018 Colorado rental, also with CarPlay.
While most of it was the same I liked the fresher looking icons when in the "home" area of the infotainment and most importantly I was able to hit the "Rear Camera" button while driving to get a look behind me. That feature interests me most, I trailer a small sailboat often and being able to take a look it while moving forward would be great.
Does anyone know if I can upgrade my truck to have the "new" software? The hardware has to be the same, I would think it's just a software thing.
My truck was in for service last month, they didn't have any required software updates, just recalls...
Wow....folllowing..... I’d like to look in the rear view camer while driving also - for the same reason.

My prediction - If I had to guess, they’ll probably say....”Your truck isnt’ compatible with the new system’ because of some hardware bit that we don’t have.

But, I’m interested and curious to know!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Enabling the Rear Cam while moving forward is great. But it is time limited to 8 seconds and has a graphic countdown. It can be repeated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know on my old ford they could update the DIC display to look like and have the commands the newer cars had. Heck, they allowed drivers to download updates for the stereo unit on their own using a flash drive. Hopefully GM will allow for such a thing.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enabling the Rear Cam while moving forward is great. But it is time limited to 8 seconds and has a graphic countdown. It can be repeated.
That's what I saw on the 18', was a perfect option.

I guess I'll call my local dealer as see what they have to say, if anyone who's interested could do the same that would be great... one service advisers answer doesn't mean it's gospel right?
Was hoping to hear about someone already doing it so I had ammo for the phone call, I too expect some excuse as to why it can't be done even though logic would say otherwise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the answer from a service adviser was " it's not necessarily just a software change, functionality is built into the control module assigned to your VIN, I wish it was that easy"

I asked him if that was something he was certain of, and to double check, including buying a different control module, though like expected even the control module just has different software/firmware that should be able to be loaded up.

He's checking with a shop foreman.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
So the answer from a service adviser was " it's not necessarily just a software change, functionality is built into the control module assigned to your VIN, I wish it was that easy"

I asked him if that was something he was certain of, and to double check, including buying a different control module, though like expected even the control module just has different software/firmware that should be able to be loaded up.

He's checking with a shop foreman.
At the end of the day, it may be cheaper to trade in your truck for a 2018.

We truly are a throw away society. Manufacturers have learned that they can entice you into buying the latest gadget so you can get that updated feature.

Thank you Apple and the Iphone for this syndrome.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
At the end of the day, it may be cheaper to trade in your truck for a 2018.

We truly are a throw away society. Manufacturers have learned that they can entice you into buying the latest gadget so you can get that updated feature.

Exactly! My Motorola flip phone works perfectly fine! Damn Apple!

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
754 Posts
Technology evolves. Have you shopped UHD 4K LED or OLED TVs lately?
Bottom line it is our economic system...Capitalism.
It drives the incentive to discard and buy as CaryBosse posted above.

Given the firmware updates available online for virtually all electronic gear such as printers, routers, smartphones, laptops etc. there seems to be little reason why GM can't offer the same. But then if you can easily upgrade your purchased technology why would you re-purchase again?

Ironically, when it is a recall or safety issue that needs a firmware update it is provided and even coerced. Liability exposure again raises its head.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I asked a service advisor in my area this week about an update to the head unit as well and he said there could be an update but the only way they would look into it was if you were having serious issues with the unit or if I received a letter from GM .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
I upgraded my hud with digital dash for the nav option and I still had the older look. I think it's a different module that controls the newer look.

If you're serious about it, you probably have better luck asking one of the third party vendors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Don’t necessarily blame Apple for it..... Everything that involved technology and computers gets ‘outdated’. Hell, even desktop computers are outdated after a couple years. And the firmware/software that drives everything changes constantly.

With the newer trucks -comes the latest and greatest technology. Just another method of enticing you to buy again/new.

Heck, I had a perfectly good working 9 year old truck with only 80k miles on it and I had to trade it in for a new one just so I could get all the updated gizmos and technology.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.