Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Colorado LT Extended Cab 4x4 (Deepwood Green Metallic)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2018 LT came with the manual climate control temperate dial, and not the one where you can set it to a specific thermostat type temperature that regulates itself. After having automatic temperature on my last vehicle, I notice that I am constantly adjusting the manual knob for temperature comfort.

Does anyone know a way to upgrade from the basic temp dial to the dial with the temperature thermostat? Is it simply all built into the switch or does a climate control system with the manual dial not have the extra mechanics behind the dash for the auto thermostat adjustment like example shown?

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
See this link. Believe the short answer is NO.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
542 Posts
The long answer is yes. But tbh more people probably want to downgrade as the auto temperature control is really hit or miss.

The control modules are the same but they have different part numbers for some reason. And of course different programming. You would need at min the module and the switch panel which you can source from a donor vehicle. I do not believe there are any other extra sensors one has but not the other.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
My wife's Subaru has automatic climate and I hate it because I like to control the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. That's difficult, impossible to do with auto climate. Unfortunately these are things you don't learn during even an extended test drive, and also something that may be forced on you if you want some other feature (e.g. leather seats).

But I'm surprised by the OP's post. During this time of year for me it's more about controlling the fan speed and whether AC is on or off rather than the temperature dial, because the temperature is always down at cold/min/none. Also, I like the Colorado because it has really good airflow and I don't even need to change the vent settings from dash/feet even on the hottest days (but I don't live in Phoenix). So basically just fan and AC on/off over 6 months of the year.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
The long answer is yes. But tbh more people probably want to downgrade as the auto temperature control is really hit or miss.

The control modules are the same but they have different part numbers for some reason. And of course different programming. You would need at min the module and the switch panel which you can source from a donor vehicle. I do not believe there are any other extra sensors one has but not the other.
So, on a non-auto HVAC system, they have installed all of the sensors & wiring for humidity sensors and temperature sensors to control the system?

I would think it would be easier for GM to just install the auto HVAC system in all of the trucks if the sensors are already installed.

I do agree that the auto temp is not the greatest system in the world. If the outside temp is close to the desired temperature, it seems to hunt to control. A 1 deg change in setting can change from cold air to hot air blowing out, and vice versa. I don't mind the auto HVAC, but I don't find it as a gret selling feature either.

When I have built a truck on line and tried to build something I could live with, I will tell myself, I don't need the auto HVAC. However, in order to get other items I really do want, I end up with the auto HVAC in order to get other options I want. Basically, I end up with a leather LT trim or a Z71 in the Colorado, and similar in the Canyon.

Reactions: Rand1

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
This thread popped active today too--apparently the auto systems will turn on the AC automatically even in manual mode. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with the manual systems.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This thread popped active today too--apparently the auto systems will turn on the AC automatically even in manual mode. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with the manual systems.

The compressor engages periodically to help dry the air at certain humidity and temps. It’s kind of an undocumented feature. It does it even if the a/c button is not on. Usually it will only do it in Auto or any defrost mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Vaughn98394,
Careful what you wish for because the digital climate control is a POS too. The display is deceiving with the integer degree settings. While in practice (on my 2018 Canyon Denali) I am always f-ing around for a comfortable temperature. If the temp is too hot, I click down a few degrees and then the system blows cold air at me for 5 seconds and then warms up to some arbitrary temperature. By then I'm too cold and lost my relationship to the too warm temp and crank it back up. Even if I leave it after blowing cold the heater temperature doesn't follow the digits and is always in some non-linear "twilight zone" temperature.

Having owned this POS for a few years now, I've come to the conclusion that really the climate control provides either hot or cold air, nothing at all close to the digital indicator. There's no sweet spot. I've taken it to the dealer, talked with the GM 1-800 monkeys and all they can tell me is "it's operating the way it's designed". The dealer actually convinced me when he brought out a brand new 2020 and it operated the same way by blowing cold air at us when changing just a couple degrees down on the knob. The mechanic there said he just uses the heater on/off button to modulate the heater. So, all that fancy digital read out crap is just for show and not really functional.

Other things I don't like (since you got me on the subject):

1) The delay in the fan speed when adjusting the fan speed knob. I don't know if this was in "the design" for some type of "this is cool" factor or if the microprocessor is just so slow it can't handle real-time input. Whatever the case it provides the operator with very poor feedback that he/she has changed the fan speed by taking a few seconds for the fan speed to change. Needless to say, I'm always spinning the heater and fan speed encoder knobs around and around and never know where they're at. (needs firmware fix or at least a mechanical stop)
2) The aforementioned blowing cold air when changing temperature and then not even maintaining a relative temperature to the knob's temperature display setting. (needs firmware fix)
3) Also, the dash light dimmer switch is inoperable when the headlights are in "manual mode" resulting in the dash lights being left to full brightness. That sucks at night. Why would "the design" cut out the dimmer switch, ever? Doesn't make any sense taking functionality away from the operator. (needs firmware fix)
4) No separate brightness adjustment on the center display. Why not have a separate software setting for an adjustment. Originally, mine (along with other's) complaint was the screen was too bright at night while in reverse. There was a fix issued, but it did not provide the user with an adjustment for brightness, but just a static dimness to the display type of hack. (needs firmware fix)
5) No side collision detection, Dang, I had a 2016 Acadia Denali I traded in for this Denali Canyon truck that the dash worked great, on top of having backup sensors, side collision detect and the forward radar thing. Paid the same money too. (Alright, I knew this when I bought the truck, but why not? They know how to do it.)

It's funny to me because the dash is what sold me on this truck. It just looked so clean and symmetrical. But the dash is where all the problems lie for me and those problems lie in the firmware controlling all the creature comforts that firmware is suppose to provide. Otherwise, I like the mechanics of the truck so far. (Sorry for the long rant, but I'd rather go back to a slider lever and cable to control the temperature) Best of luck to you and yours.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I've taken it to the dealer, talked with the GM 1-800 monkeys and all they can tell me is "it's operating the way it's designed".
That's the problem with all automatic climate controls as far as I'm concerned. They operate the way someone else designed it to operate, not the way you want it to operate. The analogy I've used is picking up a hitchhiker who you then let adjust the HVAC settings the way they want them. It's unlikely to be the way you want them set.

Besides the "wrong" temperature coming out of the vents my bigger complaints are turning on the A/C and recirculating the air at the times I want neither.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts