Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of purchasing an Extended cab WT and replacing tires/wheels. Reasons:
Dealers in Bay Area seem to have a lot of these
I don't need or want any of the stock packages
I like the way Colorados look with aftermarket rims and AT wrangler type tires.

So thinking the cheapest solution is to buy the WT trim and upgrade the rims/tires myself.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Well, not sure exactly what rims and tires you are looking for, but you will typically find either the stock Z71 or sometimes the ZR2 or Midnight editions in sets of 4 as take offs with next to zero mileage for around the $400-600 range on the forums here.

The 2nd Gen Collie/Canyons have a unique bolt pattern so, you dont have an unlimited amount of options as far as rims go.

Going the 'Im just gonna go out and buy new ones" will range you anywhere from $1200-2000+

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thinking of purchasing an Extended cab WT and replacing tires/wheels. Reasons:
Dealers in Bay Area seem to have a lot of these
I don't need or want any of the stock packages
I like the way Colorados look with aftermarket rims and AT wrangler type tires.

So thinking the cheapest solution is to buy the WT trim and upgrade the rims/tires myself.

Any thoughts on this?
Exactly what I did, none one the GM wheels look good unless you put spacers behind them to push them out, which is a cheeseball solution at best.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
915 Posts
... Any thoughts on this?
Why not? I have the WT and am completely satisfied. I don't want bells and whistles. The extended cab is better if you don't have a crew. You get the long box on the short wheelbase.

I got the WT because I wanted a stick, though. Not For everybody.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying an WT, save lots of money that way. guys on here bought the SLT's SLE's Z71's ZR2's etc and then upgrade about everything on them all though they already paid for higher end sound system. lighting, wheels, tires, shocks bumpers etc.. might as well start thousands of dollars less then they have.

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying an WT, save lots of money that way. guys on here bought the SLT's SLE's Z71's ZR2's etc and then upgrade about everything on them all though they already paid for higher end sound system. lighting, wheels, tires, shocks bumpers etc.. might as well start thousands of dollars less then they have.
Ya gotta make it your own, what can I say. :rofl

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
So why exactly do the dealerships have so many takeoff wheels?
Dealers have local aftermarket wheel dealers they deal with, and customers negotiate switching out wheels & tires at the time of sale, getting a credit for the factory wheels towards the aftermarket choice. I did it for my wife's 04 Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love my WT - it makes a great DD, I work it like a dog on the weekends (yardwork, dragging the boat around), and with the rubber floor liners and my added waterproof seat covers (same material as a Carhartt jacket) I don't feel bad using it like a truck.

I wanted a manual - so I did not have a lot of choice. I have the Convenience package and Mylink upgrade - so it has all of the necessary bells and whistles. I'm a bit of an audiophile, and in spite of that I prefer the stereo in the truck to the Harman Kardon in my Mercedes - I just think it sounds better over a better range of music when you are not pushing it to its limits.

I'm glad GM keeps the WT around and not just for fleet - there are those few of us out there who prefer Steel wheels and hard door panels. I just wish they would offer it with the DuraMax.

Reactions: 187482
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.