Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I received an update recently and I still see the speed limit. There is an option to turn this on or off. Maybe it somehow got switched off?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the 19 model. Never had the speed limit in mine originally. I was hoping to get it with my most recent update, but no dice. What year model do you have that it is available?

·
Registered
604 Posts
My '19 has had the speed limit in two places, one is the option of multiple specs (speed limit, current speed) on the menu with all the information screens (Off-road, tire pressure etc), it was an option in the menu to show. I also see it in the first menu (all the way to the left) where it just shows the speed limit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife has a 2018 GMC Terrain with the updated infotainment system. Hers also showed the speed limit until her OnStar free subscription expired...so I would suspect that might be what is going on for you guys also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To clarify, I'm lacking the posted speed limit for the road I'm on, which
shows in the main info page at all times, much like I have in both my 18 Enclave, as well as my 18 Terrain, which by the way has onstar deactivated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2019, I have the speed limit on the main page. In the settings section, you can select to display it or not. I has the 803 version of the software and updated to 805. It was there for both versions. I am still in the trial period of onstar, so not sure if it will be there when I cancel

·
Registered
694 Posts
On the 2017 it is part of the Nav system and supposedly the 2019 Canyon has the same setup as the 2019 Terrain (wife's vehicle) and that is also part of the Nav system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, is everyone saying that they have the posted speed limit have the built in Nav system? If that is the case, I suppose that is why I don't have it as I don't have the Nav.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Yes speed limit info only works with built in NAV systems. It has nothing to do with Onstar.

Also the 17 models only have it in the info screen. The 18 and later models have it in the info screen or it can be placed in the standard digital speedometer. The 17 lack the in speedo speed sign.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Yes speed limit info only works with built in NAV systems. It has nothing to do with Onstar.

Also the 17 models only have it in the info screen. The 18 and later models have it in the info screen or it can be placed in the standard digital speedometer. The 17 lack the in speedo speed sign.
Well we did have it with the speedometer then for some reason GM took it away and put it elsewhere, the gall of them...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
So, is everyone saying that they have the posted speed limit have the built in Nav system? If that is the case, I suppose that is why I don't have it as I don't have the Nav.
Several things have changed on the Driver Information Center even on the non Navigation trucks.
Since we bought our 2017 Colorado there have been several updates and a few features come and go.
Even on the Mylink, there originally was an included Weather app that did not require any WiFi subscription and that disappeared upon the first update.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I don’t have built in nav, I have had the speed limit posted on my dic for 2 years....but now it’s gone...it seems they moved it to its own page in the information pages, which is of no use since I leave my dic on the speedometer page more times than not

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Where did you get your information from...it’s like it’s all wrong and contradictory to everything about my 2017 zr2

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Where did you get your information from...it’s like it’s all wrong and contradictory to everything about my 2017 zr2
My info came from a story from GM on the GM authority web site.

It states
"In reality, the speed limit feature relies on a roadway database in the vehicle’s navigation system".

So it is a part of the NAV but the signal is still in play even without the NAV radio option. The same if you have no Onstar subscription. They have mulit tasked the sender. It makes sense as they would not have 3 seperate transponders in the vehicle to send a locastion for three systems.

So even if you do not have a NAV radio you still have the transponder in the vehicle feeing the GPS nav info to your computer. All GM cars for a good while have been GPS capable and have had NAV. Just not all have the radio.

There were some systems using a camera to read signs. But this is in GM trucks with no camera for collision so that eliminates the camera as being used.

Might note there are many things programed into the computer you can't see that are still there. Many 2017 trucks had the sign on the speedometer but the update GM sent out removed it. GM said it can not be put back? It stired some controversy.

Here is the original story I read on it back in 2016.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/gm-chevrolet-buick-gmc-cadillac-speed-limit-display-feature/#ixzz5zsx4NSdg

Here is the link to the controversal 2017 sign in the dash that vanished.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts