Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great discussion going yesterday in a thread where it didn't belong. I would like to continue the discussion as I to believe that there is a way around unlocking the TCM when the original stock file is no longer available.

@lqdchkn can you move the content of the discussion between @hacklerjason, you, and I to this thread?

For everyone just starting this read, hear is where I am.

On January 4th I ordered Duramaxtuner tunes for my brand new Colorado Diesel. The next day I drove down to their shop to pick it up. When I got there the tunes were already loaded on the AutoCal (Spade) and I was told I didn't need to read the stock file and they would send me the stock file. This isn't that uncommon in my tuning experience, less capable devices often don't have the ability to read and save the stock file in my experience. This obviously has its risks but we often accept them. Excited for the new tune I took their advice and flashed the truck. The very next day I was tinkering around with the EFI Live and wanted to datalog the stock tunes. When I attempted to flash the stock tune to the TCM it failed claiming it was locked ($0537). I called Duramaxtuner to send help me, they had me try several things and then threw their hands in the air and said they didn't know. I said I would drive down their again for them to try. I did, they tired with no lock. Said they were going to get with EFI Live and get back to me. Of course they never did and this set the stage for the rest of my communication with them and MotorOps. Often committing to do something with never following through until you've given them multiple prompts and reminders. I tried several times to work with them but got busy and put it to the side. Fast Forward to now, I am ditching DT and MotorOps for several reasons but the biggest is there lack of follow through. You are all now caught up with where I am at and what we are trying to solve.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Cant really move those posts unfortunately because a move/merge still keeps things ordered by post date/time so they would all be ordered above the description this threads post 1, lol crazy message board forced organization. :wink2:

Have you updated all the firmware on your AutoCal?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the firmware is up to date.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Then assuming the AutoCal has the same flash capabilities that the V2 does i dont htink there's anything more you can try.

Id be interested to know though if using a V2 would make a difference. You'd need to pay for a license to try it but if you know someone locally that has one, it may be worth a shot.

Also did you say you flashed through a "pass-through" device at any point? Ive heard that doing so can mess up the controller. So if that's ever been done that could be part of why your having an issue.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So, is it locked or do you just not have your actual stock tune to put back in it?

I bet the dealer can hard flash it back to stock. I think GM charges us like $100 for the file to do that though. Unless there's an updated tranny tune bulletin, in which case you could take advantage of that and have them "update it" ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
So, if he had a V2 and got a read on his OEM code, then archived it as a backup he would have a way out of a potential bricked situation? i.e. the Autocal is just a delivery device, dumb at best, but it does the job. A V2 has more power/options/hardware, complex tool vs. simple tool.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
So, if he had a V2 and got a read on his OEM code, then archived it as a backup he would have a way out of a potential bricked situation? i.e. the Autocal is just a delivery device, dumb at best, but it does the job. A V2 has more power/options/hardware, complex tool vs. simple tool.
Yes and no....
If DT changed the controller lock code, nothing will unlock that controller for read or write except that code. If the only lock on the controller was with efilocker patching, that can be overridden with any unlocked file that is full flashed over it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Lol. There is always another way to get into the controller. Surprised no one tried yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If the dealer can't do it, DT can't do it, and the rest of us haven't solid advise for him, I would think the only remaining way would be JTAG it, which is not feasible for low level guys like us

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then assuming the AutoCal has the same flash capabilities that the V2 does i dont htink there's anything more you can try.

Id be interested to know though if using a V2 would make a difference. You'd need to pay for a license to try it but if you know someone locally that has one, it may be worth a shot.

Also did you say you flashed through a "pass-through" device at any point? Ive heard that doing so can mess up the controller. So if that's ever been done that could be part of why your having an issue.
I've done a passthrough flash with my autocal and efi live. That is what DT suggested when it didn't work normally. That is also what is recommended on the efi live forums for this issue. I've just not had success.

If there was a chance I would look for a v2 and buy a license to try it

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, is it locked or do you just not have your actual stock tune to put back in it?

I bet the dealer can hard flash it back to stock. I think GM charges us like $100 for the file to do that though. Unless there's an updated tranny tune bulletin, in which case you could take advantage of that and have them "update it" ;)
I won't accept any flashing is what I am told. Even the dealer isn't supposed to be able to flash it. A other member has the same issue and ended up replacing the TCM. I'm not quite there yet but am bothered that it is locked.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I won't accept any flashing is what I am told. Even the dealer isn't supposed to be able to flash it. A other member has the same issue and ended up replacing the TCM. I'm not quite there yet but am bothered that it is locked.

Opening up a tranny because if a terrible tuner. It's not a horrible job, but dumb that you would have to. And another $400 for the part :(

I did go ask the service manager and he confirmed that if it's EFIlive locked they can't flash it. I wonder if someone like PCM of NC who I know can unlock PCMs could unlock it for you. The 6l50 is a little outside of their wheelhouse and may be different.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Of course not but I'm saying I guarantee you they wouldn't design a system without a way in that doesn't mean they'd ever share lol

They probably did design a back door, but it's not for standard use. It would likely only be needed in the even they needed into a controller than can't be read from im the even of catastrophic failure. But the dealers will use the Bosch MDI which is unable to do anything if the codes were changed or efilocker was applied

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yup!! I bet there is some magic pin or something you could pull to ground or raise to a voltage or something sneaky like that to get in. Or a communication back door. Always interesting stuff some sharp people out there that figure that stuff out

·
Registered
739 Posts
Of course not but I'm saying I guarantee you they wouldn't design a system without a way in that doesn't mean they'd ever share lol

I have no doubt they can get into any functioning stock ECU or even locked aftermarket tunes that are still stock OS. I think you're missing the fact that it's not even the stock operating system anymore. GM has backdoors into their own operating system, but when you completely remove that operating system and install the EFIlive custom operating system I have trouble imagining they would they ever plan so large as to be able to get into an ECU with a different OS.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's possible but there is usually hardware back doors. If not there is most definitely boot loader flaws and the like that can be found. Takes some sharp programmers or reverse software engineers to do though

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.