Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago i discovered underground soap box racing, a basically lawless downhill sport, sounds like fun.

Anyway i went and got a shopping cart from the aisian food market and started to build my cart.

If you missed the first thread this should clue you in

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ljOcB7Si5dw

this is the view you will get of my impending doom while I tape the races

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sweet! i just watched that video! Much respect. How did they isolate the road like that? How long is the road?

I want more details! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! i just watched that video! Much respect. How did they isolate the road like that? How long is the road?
They don't shut the road down, they have someone at the bottom warning cars not to go. plus in front of and behind the gruop of cars is a chase car. The roads vary in distance, from .5 to 3 miles

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That's cool as hell. Looks like it would be a blast.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You inspired me. I checked out to see if there's a local soap box derby near me. Come to find out there's one just across the bridge in Portland. They only have it once a year though. The cool thing is you can use water weapons and beer drinking for the participants is encouraged.

So me and my buddy already have plans in the works for a two person soap box. One person is the driver, the other is the gunner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xtreme, redbull also does their sop box race in your area too, I dont have the website but google red bull soap box. I think they run it in seattle around september october timeframe. They are a little more into showmanship but still a cool experience.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Damn that looks like fun.
Only hills in Houston are the highway overpasses. Not a great idea to try it on those at any time of day.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
derf said:
Xtreme, redbull also does their sop box race in your area too, I dont have the website but google red bull soap box. I think they run it in seattle around september october timeframe. They are a little more into showmanship but still a cool experience.
I saw that they had one in 2007, but don't see evidence that they are running one this year. Hopefully though. I see what you're saying though w/ the Red Bull one. It's pretty artsy and you're graded on presentation and ability to entertain the crowd rather than speed. You even have to choreograph a song with your soapbox.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are 4 groups activley doing this on a monthly basis, and another dozen or so that do the irregularrly, either ebery few months or once a year.

San Fernado Valey Illegal Soap Box Federation - S.F.V.I.S.B.F.
New Jersey Underground Soap Box Federation - N.J.U.S.B.F.
Australian Illegal Gravity Racers Federation - A.I.G.R.F.
Pittsburg Illegal Soapbox Society - P.I.S.S.

NJUSBF is racing on sunday, should be shitty weather, 26 degrees and snow, which means that my brakes won't work too good, however it will make for some real good video.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ESB said:
/forum/images/smiles/censored.gif that looks like fun.
Only hills in Houston are the highway overpasses. Not a great idea to try it on those at any time of day.
yeah SE texas sucks for no hills...

looks awesome as hell!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So we raced this morning, it was bad ass. i stayed up all night drinking with my brother and his friends at rugters university, at 4 am we left to go get some coffee and food. we met the group and headed to the first hill, everyone parked at teh bottom of the hill and threw their cars in the dump truck and drove them to the top of the hill. Within 30 seconds of parking we were sitting in teh cars waiting for the all clear from the folks that blocked traffic. The all clear was given and we were off. My car was very fast compared to evey one elses, in fact they wern't even close to as fast as i was. i mounted a bike speedo and at least according to that I hit a top speed of 42 mph. I also discovered that my brakes did not work nearly as well as I had hoped, they stopped me just not good. Anyway it was a good time to be had by all, and no major issues except one guy that lost his 2 rear wheels just as i passed him, all i see is his rear end drop and he spins then there were 2 wheels bouncing down the road next to me.

The whole group at the start of the race

you can see his wheels on the right, the camera is on the left side of my car and in reality we are only about 2 feet apart from eachother

This is the exact moment he lost his rear wheels. i turn around and see him sliding backwards down teh hill, and his rear wheels bouncing down the street

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sweet stuff bro! I checked out hte youtube video. Very cool.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
HARDCORE! Where's the Rob Zombie music?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
izzkidioto said:
HARDCORE! Where's the Rob Zombie music?

Funny coincidence, I started Let the Bodies hit the Floor just as I opened up the video :lol:

Actually fit pretty good :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just finished transfreing my videos to the guy who is editing them into one better one that uses video taken from each car racing. Hopefully he said that within a week or so it should be edited and up on youtube

anyway here are some of the photos he gave me that he took as screen shots from the videos his camera took

·
Registered
27 Posts
holy crap, i thought putting a motor on a barstool was crazy, but this looks frickin insane. looks like a full roll cage may be needed (maybe thats just for old farts like me that heal real slow). That looks like a great time!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts