Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
My observation is that the seats are too narrow and are set too close to the center console. If you make an effort to land your butt closer to the console when you sit, you will find them to be much more comfortable. (I wonder if the full size Silverado seat would fit?)

·
Registered
972 Posts
My observation is that the seats are too narrow and are set too close to the center console. If you make an effort to land your butt closer to the console when you sit, you will find them to be much more comfortable. (I wonder if the full size Silverado seat would fit?)
Too narrow? I find them too wide, or at least not enough side support. They almost feel like bench seats and are apparently designed for overweight Americans.

Not sure if I've commented on this thread before, but I like the seats, except for the side support. Just the right firmness, although being able to adjust the seat angle is probably important.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Everyone bashes the Nissan frontier but I just test drove a 19 and the seats were 8 way power and bigger more comfortable. Heck had sunroof and duel climate. I had no idea. In many ways it has more than new twins

I had a '19 Nissan Frontier SV for 15 days as a rental and the seats were better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh wow, I never even considered the Nissan Frontier. Mostly because I'm not a fan of the looks that much and riding my buddy's Rogue made me shy away from Nissan.

And it looks like they come in a long box version like Colorado's! Hmmmmm

·
Registered
172 Posts
AutoBlog just posted a new story on their website just yesterday comparing the Colorado, Ranger, Gladiator, and Tacoma. In their words, the reason they didn't give the overall win to the Colorado was because of the seats, and the outdated interior, but they really liked the truck otherwise.

I can't say I disagree. The seats in the 2019 ARE better than the seats in my 2015 (I do not care for them much at all, as the 2019s have slightly less left side bottom seat bolstering on the drivers side, as well as 6 way instead of 4 way power. That said, the seats are just too narrow on the bottom (that coming from a guy whom is skinny...me!) My issue, is that the bolstering on the left is a little under my thigh constantly, which is annoying and uncomfortable. If I try to slide right (which there really isn't much room) to avoid it, well then I feel like I'm not centered with the pedals and steering wheel (a common Chevy complaint). Also, I'd kill for a decent dead pedal, but nope...there isn't one. The seat backs could use a bit more side bolstering but I'm OK with them.

I drove a 2018 for a few days while mine was in the shop and it felt more comfortable, but not perfect. If GM would either widen the seat bottoms a bit, or shift the drivers seat left a hair it would help. Also....dead pedal!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i listened to their podcast for that comparison, and definitely agree. the interior and the seats are the biggest drawback to the colorado.
longer road trips in our '18 are fairly uncomfortable, the bottoms of the front seats are really awkward. and somehow have been getting worse as they age and wear in (35k on our '18)

would be interested to sit in a '19 and see how it feels, and wonder if those seats could be swapped in if theyre better....

·
Registered
172 Posts
i listened to their podcast for that comparison, and definitely agree. the interior and the seats are the biggest drawback to the colorado.
longer road trips in our '18 are fairly uncomfortable, the bottoms of the front seats are really awkward. and somehow have been getting worse as they age and wear in (35k on our '18)

would be interested to sit in a '19 and see how it feels, and wonder if those seats could be swapped in if theyre better....
I would almost guarantee they could be swapped. I just don't know if it's worth it. Yeah, you'd get the tilt function, but otherwise the same seat. Like I said above, they apparently removed a bit of the left side bolstering on the driver's side seat bottom too, but not sure if it makes a difference in comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a Nissan / Honda dealer close to my work so I test drove a Frontier and Ridgeline over lunch.

Ridgeline
Seat: Awesome! So comfy. Wider than the Colorado.
Inside: Feels quite roomy.
Ride: Super smooth on the road.
Exterior: Butt ugly. I do think the dual tailgate open, bed lights, and under bed compartment is nifty.

Frontier
Seat: Pretty good. Not as good as Ridgeline and better than the Colorado. Accessing seat adjusters while the door is closed is super tight.
Inside: Seemed a bit more cramped. Especially in the back.
Ride: Pretty good. Would need to compare with the Colorado but seemed pretty close.
Exterior: Not as ugly as the Ridgline but not great. Far from Colorado / Canyon looks. All Frontiers come standard with spray in bed liner and bed tracks which is a nice feature.

Our local GMC dealer doesn't have a Canyon Denali and have been dealing on one in another state. I did ask the dealer about the seats in the Denali and he said that he "knows for a fact they use different leather seats in the Denali than the other Colorado's and Canyons". Not sure what that means.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh wow, I never even considered the Nissan Frontier. Mostly because I'm not a fan of the looks that much and riding my buddy's Rogue made me shy away from Nissan.

And it looks like they come in a long box version like Colorado's! Hmmmmm

It has zero technology and the infotainment LCD screen completely blurs out with glare in daylight making the backup camera useless during the day. Doesn't even tell you your mpg or miles to empty.

The engine/trans are a good combo, however I tended to break the tires loose from a stop a lot more in the Frontier. The turning radius of the tiny Frontier is about as large as the one needed for a large oil tanker (eventually, it turns).

Ergonomics are meh. No center armrest and the center console is too low to rest an elbow on it.

The short box was near useless for larger items and has a very low amount of weight it can hold. I compressed the suspension with ~20 pavers. I put the same amount of those pavers in my Canyon and it barely noticed it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a Nissan / Honda dealer close to my work so I test drove a Frontier and Ridgeline over lunch.

Ridgeline
Seat: Awesome! So comfy. Wider than the Colorado.
Inside: Feels quite roomy.
Ride: Super smooth on the road.
Exterior: Butt ugly. I do think the dual tailgate open, bed lights, and under bed compartment is nifty.

Frontier
Seat: Pretty good. Not as good as Ridgeline and better than the Colorado. Accessing seat adjusters while the door is closed is super tight.
Inside: Seemed a bit more cramped. Especially in the back.
Ride: Pretty good. Would need to compare with the Colorado but seemed pretty close.
Exterior: Not as ugly as the Ridgline but not great. Far from Colorado / Canyon looks. All Frontiers come standard with spray in bed liner and bed tracks which is a nice feature.

Our local GMC dealer doesn't have a Canyon Denali and have been dealing on one in another state. I did ask the dealer about the seats in the Denali and he said that he "knows for a fact they use different leather seats in the Denali than the other Colorado's and Canyons". Not sure what that means.
My buddy just got a new leftover ‘18 Canyon SLT... Yes, my Denali has a bit nicer leather it is a different material too. I wouldn’t make that my deciding factor between the SLT and Denali though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
6'3" 240lbs and the seats are great for me. I have done several 10-12 hour drives and never have any issues. Coming from a 2017 Camaro SS and those seats were great too. My wife's F150? Not so good...

·
Registered
7 Posts
6'3" 240lbs and the seats are great for me. I have done several 10-12 hour drives and never have any issues. Coming from a 2017 Camaro SS and those seats were great too. My wife's F150? Not so good...
I have a '16 Camaro 2SS and a '19 ZR2. I wish I agreed with you, but I don't. The Camaro seats (non-Recaro, because they unfortunately weren't available on the '16) are extremely comfortable. The ZR2 though is pretty stiff. My ass is numb after 2-3 hours on the highway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
These seats definitely aren't the best. In my short time with this truck, I've found that they really punish you for poor posture.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
These seats definitely aren't the best. In my short time with this truck, I've found that they really punish you for poor posture.

I have had a bad back now for 40 years so I make sure my posture is good and I love these seats.

Autoblog mentioned dated interior, 3 months ago, all the on-line magazine's were saying that about the Ranger. Now autoblog comes along and says just the opposite, Ranger sales must be down..

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have had a bad back now for 40 years so I make sure my posture is good and I love these seats.

Autoblog mentioned dated interior, 3 months ago, all the on-line magazine's were saying that about the Ranger. Now autoblog comes along and says just the opposite, Ranger sales must be down..
I have a bad back too, and the Z71 seats are just great for me on long trips. I love how stiff they are, and the material is tough enough that it shows no wear at all after almost 4 years. I just happen to like a stiff seat with a lumbar support. It does keep your posture good. It did take a while at first to find the right position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really loved this truck on paper but when I went for a test drive yesterday the seats were the most uncomfortable i think I've ever sat in. I was prepared to purchase based on all the online research I did and I really love the both the exterior and interior but couldn't get beyond the seats. I think I saw a post that some larger folks don't like the seats but i'm not large (5'10" 165 lbs). I went back to my 2012 frontier I was ready to trade in and it was night and day sitting in the seat (frontier much better fit). Anyone else have this experience?
I drove 700 miles round trip and I hated every ******* minute of the drive while in my 19 Colorado the seats are absolutely horrible! Driving to work isn’t a big deal long trips next time I take the wife’s luxury car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 Duramax CCSB. bought used in summer of 2017 with 16k miles on it. within the first 3 weeks took a 2000 mile round trip with a couple of 10 hour days with the family of 4 including 2 grown sons. then within the next 8 months a round trip to Orlando FL and back with 15 hour days of driving. I'm 6' about 210 pounds and can't complain about the seats at all. Now whenever my wife or family wants to go on a trip more than a few miles they all want to go in my truck.

That despite the other vehicles in the family. A couple of Subaru's and a Toyota Tacoma.

The only seats that I have ever liked better were in my former ride a Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. But those seats wore out pretty fast getting in and out of that vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
The seats are trash. Granted, my Denali seats are attractive, but the complete lack of support is inexcusable. They are firm as others have noted, and that's ok with me, I like firm seats. It is the lack of support and any kind of bolstering whatsoever that is really pitiful. Taking even a gradual turn at a moderate speed and I literally feel like my ass is going to slide into the door.

Very unfortunate, to say the least. Crafting an adequate seat isn't rocket science. It takes just as much work to build a bad seat as it does to make a decent one.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts
About this Discussion
131 Replies
90 Participants
htusa31
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing