Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really loved this truck on paper but when I went for a test drive yesterday the seats were the most uncomfortable i think I've ever sat in. I was prepared to purchase based on all the online research I did and I really love the both the exterior and interior but couldn't get beyond the seats. I think I saw a post that some larger folks don't like the seats but i'm not large (5'10" 165 lbs). I went back to my 2012 frontier I was ready to trade in and it was night and day sitting in the seat (frontier much better fit). Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi and welcome. Yes, the seats aren't the best. There are other threads regarding this, just search for them or go to interior section on the forum.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes the seats are awful to me and still not good enough after 3 years of break in and mine are leather ones. I can see how it can be a deal breaker. They stopped my brother from buying one. The only reason I put up with these seats is because the truck is absolutely perfect and unbeatable in every other way. Many here feel the same way. Some though actually love the seats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did a solo trip from West Virginia to Colorado in my 2016 wt Colorado and did ten hour days driving and felt seats were great. I never got tired. 63 yr old 5’8”. Had a 2018 Tacoma as a loaner for two weeks while my 2003 Tacoma was getting a free frame change. It still has the terrible seating position that they have always had. Was ready to get out after a two to three hour trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lack of adjustment in the seats is a daily on these trucks. I came from a Sierra SLT with tons of adjustment, so just about anything was going to be disappointing.

I also didn't care for the Z71 seat covers (half vinyl and half stiff textile material), I replaced them with aftermarket leather and I am at least happy with the feel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Lack of adjustment in the seats is a daily on these trucks. I came from a Sierra SLT with tons of adjustment, so just about anything was going to be disappointing.

I also didn't care for the Z71 seat covers (half vinyl and half stiff textile material), I replaced them with aftermarket leather and I am at least happy with the feel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
At least they added seat base tilt on the 19's. The Z71 seats are more a sit on, rather than sit in. But after 3 years of using them, I don't find them annoying on the long haul.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Shannosa, what model of truck did you try out? plus Cloth or Leather? I too am 5'10" and 170lbs and old

I'm with applewood, my seats are really comfortable, and my wife agrees. I drive 7-10 hours for hunting trips and no problems. Now when I sold my 2011 Canyon with 150,000 miles, the drivers seat in it was really comfortable after the first few thousand miles, when the seat formed to my butt(can I say that?)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
At first I was not a big fan on the seats but it was not to the point of a deal breaker. Now I am fine with them.

I have the leather and they need to break in a bit or I just adapted to them more.

The only thing I wish for is more side bolster but on the other hand if it had more side bolster then they would be more difficult to get out of and possibly have more side bolster damage. A car you clime out of truck seats you slide off of.

I have noted many of the cars today are all very unique seating and you kind of have to adapt to most of them. It is not like the old days where they all had an over stuffed bench that was nearly the same no matter the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The cloth seats in my 2018 Canyon were horribly uncomfortable for the first 2 months mostly due to the lack of seat bottom tilt which put too much pressure on the back of my right leg above the knee. A tilt function like they have on the 2019s would have made a huge difference in comfort. After a few months the seats softened up and most of the time I do not notice any discomfort unless my seat gets adjusted and I don't have it in the right position for me. The "leather" seats in my 2016 Canyon All-Terrain were a little more comfortable and I never had the "OMG these seats suck" feeling like I did with the new truck.

So IMO the seats get better with break-in. Leather is better than cloth. The seat bottom tilt feature on 2019s make a big difference in comfort.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The cloth seats in my 2018 Canyon were horribly uncomfortable for the first 2 months mostly due to the lack of seat bottom tilt which put too much pressure on the back of my right leg above the knee. A tilt function like they have on the 2019s would have made a huge difference in comfort. After a few months the seats softened up and most of the time I do not notice any discomfort unless my seat gets adjusted and I don't have it in the right position for me. The "leather" seats in my 2016 Canyon All-Terrain were a little more comfortable and I never had the "OMG these seats suck" feeling like I did with the new truck.

So IMO the seats get better with break-in. Leather is better than cloth. The seat bottom tilt feature on 2019s make a big difference in comfort.
Pretty much the same experience with me as well, the seats were so firm that the pressure on the back side of my thigh made it hurt after a while, but with time and miles they broke in and are perfectly fine. They are still more firm than the leather seats in my wife's Pilot, but they aren't uncomfortable. We drove 5,700 miles over the course of 3 weeks (Really was something like 10 driving days) this past summer, didn't have a problem.

But, I can understand the OP's concern. What if they don't break in, what if they don't get more comfortable? That's a big risk and I totally get not wanting to take an expensive risk like that.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
But, I can understand the OP's concern. What if they don't break in, what if they don't get more comfortable? That's a big risk and I totally get not wanting to take an expensive risk like that.
Me too and I agree. Although if the rest of the truck is perfect then you can always have the seat modified by an auto upholstery shop quite easily and shouldn't cost that much, especially for 1 seat.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
We have the leather seats in our 2017 Colorado LT with the Luxury package.

The seats did seem firm for awhile the first year, but after a few (660 mile) summer trips and adjusting to our like they are fine.

I do think the seats in my 2010 Colorado LT with leather were a bit wider and more comfortable. Then again, they had the 8-way power seats verses the 4 way that was the best you could get in 2017.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
...couldn't get beyond the seats.

Anyone else have this experience?

Yes actually. I really wanted a second gen Canyon to replace my first gen Canyon. I had no issue with the seats, but, my wife was not comfortable in them. Our truck needs to keep us both comfortable for 8+ hour drives, and if she was not comfortable that was indeed a deal breaker.

We ended up with a 2018 Sierra instead, and even though it is only a base trim, with the front bench seat, my wife frequently comments on how comfortable the truck is.

Happy wife (and a V8 under the hood), happy life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I really loved this truck on paper but when I went for a test drive yesterday the seats were the most uncomfortable i think I've ever sat in. I was prepared to purchase based on all the online research I did and I really love the both the exterior and interior but couldn't get beyond the seats. I think I saw a post that some larger folks don't like the seats but i'm not large (5'10" 165 lbs). I went back to my 2012 frontier I was ready to trade in and it was night and day sitting in the seat (frontier much better fit). Anyone else have this experience?

I purchased a new 2016 Canyon SLE with cloth seats and was super excited about it until I started really driving it a lot ! It became obvious that since the seats have what I call the Wrap around bolster that wraps around the front of the seat and the fact that the 4-way power seat option doesn't allow you to adjust the front of the seat up and down, I really did not like driving the truck especially on long trips.
I loved the way the truck looked and the layout of it but then after I started experiencing the transmission problems I decided that it was time to move on and sell it.
A friend of mine then ordered a new 2017 with leather interior and after he took delivery he couldn't understand why I had a problem with mine as he thought his seats were comfortable. I did find that his seats seemed to sit a little different almost as if they didn't have as much foam padding or maybe the padding was softer than what I had with my cloth seats, but I still didn't think they were too much of an improvement.

Then when I read that the 2019's were offering a 6-way power seat that would allow up and down adjustment of the seat fronts I decided to take a test drive of a new one just as soon as my dealer received their first 2019's. I was pleasantly surprised that the new power seat option made so much difference and with the newer updated transmissions I decided to order a new truck !
I ordered a Z71cc with leather interior and I'm very happy with the seats at this point although I still don't understand GM's seat design for these trucks since most vehicles just have side bolsters that don't wrap around the front. I still think the seats could be even better with a slight modification to the front foam and if I can find a good quality interior shop I may have them worked on, but the 6-way power seat option does make a Big difference !! XR

·
Registered
939 Posts
Same for me I didn’t like the seats at all but after having it for a year and a half I find they have gotten a lot better far from perfect but a lot better I do wish they had base tilt.

·
Banned
281 Posts
2016... Seat was real hard and at an angle that cut off blood flow behind knee. I went to Walmart (gawd help me) and bought a seat cushion... I took out the foam and cut it thick in back tapered to the front at zero. Then I bought cheap seat auto zone cover as I sometimes get in with my work clothes. I had to adjust the seat to its lowest position for this 2" boost but it was great... super comfortable... I drove 12,000 miles to AK and back and was fine. I did make an arm rest booster cushion on the door so that I could be level to the wheel in a resting position for long rides. You'd think they'd hire me to make a seat right....
go figure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 and on the test drive I never gave it a thought they seemed fine. Took some dealing and ended up buying it and on the way home I noticed the further into my 4 1/2 hour drive home the more uncomfortable it got. About an hour and a half into the drive I stopped at a rest stop for a bathroom break and looked and noticed they were only 4 way. My Camaro I traded off was a 1LT package and had 8 way seats but no lumbar and they were comfortable, this is a 4LT package and cheap seats. With up and down there is no reason for the seats to be as high as they are and tilt so far back when lowered. It is such a goofy adjustment the way they move. I would love to hack out about 2 to 3 inches of height off the front of the frame in the lowest position and I think they would be comfortable. The reason I sold the Camaro was because I was having a hard time with bending my head and neck getting into the car. If I put the seat up high where it is comfortable I run into the same problem. The seat is the major gripe I have about this truck. Other than that after putting 3500 miles on it I do like it outside the seats. I did try and cut a tapered block and screwed it to the underside of the floor mat on the left side foot rest but I made it too high so I took it out but haven't cut a shallower tapered block. Bad thing it it would fix my left leg but won't help the right. I am a larger guy and the seat motor has to work hard and would likely wear it out if I lowered it to get out and raised it after I got in. Oh well I getting more used to it and if they come back with the Dakota I will maybe look at trading it off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
6'2" and 190# here and wife is 5'2" and 110# and neither of us find the seats uncomfortable at all. Currently have a 2015 Canyon All Terrain with a 2019 Canyon All Terrain on order.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
6'1 & 185#, and the Mrs is 5'1 and maybe 100# soaking wet, and the seats in my 16 suit us just fine. Yes they are a little stiff but, not to the point of annoyance. After a minute, its just like any other seat to us.

If it was an issue though, as a couple of people have already mentioned, I wouldnt pass on the truck just because of the seat feelings, Id bring it to a seat guy and let him handle it. The truck is just too nice for me to let my butt be the deciding factor. >:)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
About this Discussion
131 Replies
90 Participants
htusa31
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing