Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to posting
05 Colorado Crew Cab
I 5 Auto Trans

I recently visited the dealer for CEL Random missfire. I had my letter from
GM that said to replace the head with that code. They say first thing they had
to do is install new updates. Well that got rid of that code, but with the new
update comes my next problem. Shift from 1st to 2nd gear is very soft, as
if it starts to shift then waits in between for a second then finishes into second.
brought it back and mechanic didn't notice what I was talking about. I brought
him for a ride and showed him. He claims tranny must be going out.
I argue with them till I was blue in the face. I came in shifting fine, you
updated it and now like a flip of a switch it shifts like this. They claim they
can't change it. So my question, anybody know of a chip programmer or a
plug into the truck programmer I could buy to be able to change the figures
in the shifting map to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.
Oh and by the way DON'T EVER GO TO BUBBA OUSTALET in Jennings, LA.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
676 Posts
yes Granatelli made a trans tuner, but is no longer available. i just picked up a used one from Jeremy (fixitman04) and am experimenting with it. still not sure if i want to keep it though...

next option is a pcm tune or find another dealer for a second opinion...Service Chevrolet in Lafayette or Ray Chevy in Abbeville. one of the service writers at Service has a Colorado, maybe ask for him specifically when you bring it in...

how many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another dealer would be nice, but this is a long story. I am a rural carrier for the US Postal Service. They sold me the extended warrenty when I bought the truck. At about 60K miles the service manager there got mad at me and called the LOS extended warrenty people and ratted me out. They don't cover Postal Carriers. So LOS dropped warrenty, I had a talk with dealership owner and explained somebody was covering warrenty work or refunding me my money cause you sold it to me knowing what I was doing with it. So dealership has been eating cost of warrenty repairs till 100K miles. And I have 85K ish on it now. Where are you located? If you decide you want to get rid of that thing let me know. I really don't want a complete tune, engine pulls most excellent for such a small motor. I mean from idle to well up in rpm. I have no problem pulling 16 ft. trailer with 30 hp Kubota. Great bottom end (pulls as good as wifes Taho on bottom but can't touch it on top.) But like I said for such a small motor it pulls great.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The MailMan 2 said:
I really don't want a complete tune, engine pulls most excellent for such a small motor. I mean from idle to well up in rpm. I have no problem pulling 16 ft. trailer with 30 hp Kubota. Great bottom end (pulls as good as wifes Taho on bottom but can't touch it on top.) But like I said for such a small motor it pulls great.
My suggestion would be to use HP Tuners software (non intrusive) yourself or buy the service from a provider. It is an odd request but just get the transmission shift firmness improved. That can be done with out modifying the rest of the PCM programming.

·
Vendor
356 Posts
The MailMan 2 said:
Hello, new to posting
05 Colorado Crew Cab
I 5 Auto Trans

I recently visited the dealer for CEL Random missfire. I had my letter from
GM that said to replace the head with that code. They say first thing they had
to do is install new updates. Well that got rid of that code, but with the new
update comes my next problem. Shift from 1st to 2nd gear is very soft, as
if it starts to shift then waits in between for a second then finishes into second.
brought it back and mechanic didn't notice what I was talking about. I brought
him for a ride and showed him. He claims tranny must be going out.
I argue with them till I was blue in the face. I came in shifting fine, you
updated it and now like a flip of a switch it shifts like this. They claim they
can't change it. So my question, anybody know of a chip programmer or a
plug into the truck programmer I could buy to be able to change the figures
in the shifting map to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.
Oh and by the way DON'T EVER GO TO BUBBA OUSTALET in Jennings, LA.
Thanks again.
The dealership can't specifically fix shift firmness, they basically have an entire flash from GM that gets uploaded, and that's that. Sorry to hear about your issues, a lot of times GM does updates to try and please the masses, and then you have a few people who are disappointed with the changes after it's reflashed.

You can however have the shifting changed with HPtuners, that sounds like your best bet for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kelly I have a question for you.
I got my HPTuners in the mail friday and got it up and going. My question is, I don't have the desired shift time option in the trans/shift properties tab. Is this because it isn't an option on the colorado? I have messed around with the pressure and got it shifting pretty good again. I am new to this end of mechanics so if you wanted to see what I did let me know. I may have signed a death warrent for my tranny and don't know it.
Thanks for the info.
Oh and by the way the HPTuners is AWSOME!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts