Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main complaint is the transmission. Should I get a tune or just drive in Tow/haul like I have been doing. It fixes 90% of the tranny issues. Has anybody compared Tow/Haul to a full tune and noticed much difference? One is free.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Just curious, what year is your truck and what engine do you have? What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
A tune will certainly improve the driving characteristics, and will probably improve fuel mileage. IMO, a computer tune is one of the best things you can do to improve drivability of a newer vehicle. But, it's not free. And it will invalidate your drive train warranty. Life's full of trade offs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A tune will certainly improve the driving characteristics, and will probably improve fuel mileage. IMO, a computer tune is one of the best things you can do to improve drivability of a newer vehicle. But, it's not free. And it will invalidate your drive train warranty. Life's full of trade offs.
I mentioned getting a tune to the dealer on the last oil change and asked about the warranty. They said not a problem with warranty. GM cared about high performance vehicles and even more the Duramax diesels. They have not seen any damage related to the tune that would void warranty.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I mentioned getting a tune to the dealer on the last oil change and asked about the warranty. They said not a problem with warranty. GM cared about high performance vehicles and even more the Duramax diesels. They have not seen any damage related to the tune that would void warranty.
........and you should never believe anyone at the dealership unless they can give you written proof of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2016 Canyon V6 6 speed. Pedal Commander and 91 Octane have all but eliminated my shifting issues.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
........and you should never believe anyone at the dealership unless they can give you written proof of it.

This is the truth. And I don't blame the dealership one bit.

GM sells you a truck that makes 400 ft/lbs of torque (for example). The drive line all the way back to the rear tires is built for that, and it's no problem, and there's a warranty to cover all those parts. The buyer then re-tunes the truck and manages to get 550 ft/lbs, and goes drag racing. How long do you think the transmission will last? Why should GM be responsible for that?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My main complaint is the transmission. Should I get a tune or just drive in Tow/haul like I have been doing. It fixes 90% of the tranny issues. Has anybody compared Tow/Haul to a full tune and noticed much difference? One is free.
91 octane + Pedal Commander cured the shifting problems for me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I tried both. Tow/haul mode down shifts a bit hard when coming to a stop, might just be my truck.
It also adjusted eventually for the tune and got the chugging back. The closest fix for me was 91+ octane and PC also. Still chugges here and there sometime. I must have the most stubborn tcm of all. Does anyone know how to do a true reset of tcm? Cleared the adaptives with trifecta software but it's still not taking the tune adjusted shift points.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Tow/Haul basically just keeps the torque converter locked longer or lock up sooner which reduces the slip between the engine and trans., making shifting feel firmer and can reduce trans. temps when hauling.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I drove in tow/haul mode for a while it works but what I didn't like is how it downshifts for hauling loads. I bought a PC and there is no looking back my 15 3.6L performs great. I am very happy with it. I am not a K and N guy but after doing a lot of research I decided to try one. In the past, I have had trouble with them. I am thinking it might have been user error. As my truck sets right now I have to be careful accelerating from a stop not to crack the tires loose. Yesterday my son in law did twelve updates to the engine and transmission control modules. Next week I will find out if they make any difference.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I drove in tow/haul mode for a while it works but what I didn't like is how it downshifts for hauling loads. I bought a PC and there is no looking back my 15 3.6L performs great. I am very happy with it. I am not a K and N guy but after doing a lot of research I decided to try one. In the past, I have had trouble with them. I am thinking it might have been user error. As my truck sets right now I have to be careful accelerating from a stop not to crack the tires loose. Yesterday my son in law did twelve updates to the engine and transmission control modules. Next week I will find out if they make any difference.
I too have the pedal Commander and I would refuse to drive my truck without it.

How does your truck perform after the updates? Would you be able to let me know the updates date release? I had my truck in 2 weeks ago and the service guy told me that there is no update since August of 2016. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.