Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Truxedo Titanium when I purchased my 2017 CCSB. It was a great cover for the last 3 years, kept the elements out and worked as advertised, without any issues, and I really liked it. Unfortunately, the adhesive that bonds the vinyl to the aluminum slats underneath has totally failed starting on the tailgate end and around the edges, causing the interlocking slats to come apart and the cover will no longer close. Of course, I am about 6 months out of warranty. I see others have had the same problem with this cover.

The only way to fix this would be to totally deconstruct the cover, remove all old adhesive, and re-bond with something (looks like they used some kind of rubbery contact cement previously). Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for that kind of job. Contacted Truxedo directly and they don't have any replacement parts or repair services, and recommended using some 3M double-sided pressure sensitive tape... sounds like a temporary band-aid to me, and to get it to really work well, I would need to remove all the old adhesive still.

I'm not trying to flame Truxedo too much here, I live in Michigan, we have weather extremes, and I think it's fair to say that kind of climate will abuse a tonneau more than others. Still, I paid almost a grand for a nice cover, did not use it excessively by any means, keep my truck in the garage when home, and now 3 years later I have a useless pile of aluminum and vinyl. The truth is, I just don't know that the "hard rolling" tonneau concept is able to stand up to the stress of rolling and unrolling and weather. I was perfectly understanding of some small cracks and wear in the vinyl and rubber seal over the tailgate, but a total failure of an expensive cover just out of warranty with very average use is a real bummer. I would be understanding if I needed to pay $200-300 for replacement parts or repair, given the aforementioned, but I basically have to buy a whole new cover now.

Truxedo now brands their very similar cover as the Sentry, it looks an awful lot like the Titanium to me, in fact identical with the exception of black slats rather than plain aluminum. I suspect they may have changed the name to obscure the many failures of Titanium covers. Still, I'm not trying to come down horribly on them, I just hope to save any potential buyers the same fate as me. They probably make other covers that do very well over time, it's just that "hard rolling" thing is asking a lot of the materials.

As for me, I'm going for a Bakflip MX4 this time, because it seems to have fewer potential failure points, and a longer warranty.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wow... Those things are $850 on Amazon... That is a lot of money for three years of use. The OEM Soft Tri-Fold was $549 brand new. I sold it well after three years of ownership and it was still like new... Sorry to hear about that... Hopefully, this helps people make their decisions before they spend their hard-earned money on what amount to be disposable accessories...

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
My $200 soft roll cover is a little faded, and the logo has wore off after 5 years, 100K miles or so. Worth every dollar I paid for it.

Hard for me to justify that kind of costs, although I probably have gotten more use from my truck's flexibility with a bed cover than I ever could have imagined.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My $200 soft roll cover is a little faded, and the logo has wore off after 5 years, 100K miles or so. Worth every dollar I paid for it.

Hard for me to justify that kind of costs, although I probably have gotten more use from my truck's flexibility with a bed cover than I ever could have imagined.
Yeah, if I didn’t have the kind of cargo that I do, I would’ve just gone for a soft rolling cover, and that probably would’ve lasted a long time. Unfortunately (at least for the sake of cover prices) I fairly regularly haul high end instruments and sound equipment, so I need something that offers some security!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going through the exact same thing with my tuxedo titanium. I loved the cover! When i need to have an open bed, it rolls up out of the way. I found it to be way better than the undercover flex i had on my f!50. Unfortunately, same as you, right after 3 year warranty expired so did the cover. i called them and already tried the 3M tape to no avail. i just tried today squeezing some Lexel clear caulk in between vinyl and slats. Hoping it lasts. It kills me to have to get rid of such an expensive cover

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

Some stainless machine screws, washers, grommets and nylocks into some equidistant predrilled holes and you could make that work and look a lot better than this guy did.

I recommend Diamonback for tonneaus, yet again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts