Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after searching hi and low for a solution, I decided to purchase the TruXedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover for My Zr2. Thank you Chris at Real Truck for hooking me up!

Installation took me about 2.5 hours but mostly because I was working in 30 degree weather at 2200hrs. It is fairly straight forward however they could have engineered a few things a little better.

Firstly, the weather stripping they provide is too thin (thickness). They have you put two small pieces (provided) between the bed and the rear mount of the Sportbar which is fine but then they tell you to run the weatherstripping along the top bed rail... butting it up to the the mount. Here is where the problem comes in. That main mount sticks out further than the thickness of the weatherstrip so when you try to mount the side rail, there is a 1/8" gap for water to get through. To rectify this, I had to double up the weather stripping to fill the gap BUT they don't provide enough to do this. so I had to go get some. Not a biggie but annoying. This brings me to the next problem, the clamps. because I doubled up the weatherstripping, the bolt that holds the clamps on was too short. Not wanting to stop, I didn't put the rubber shim they recommend and this allowed enough clearance. After figuring this out it went on fairly easy.

Anyway, I am happy with the way it turned out, just was a little annoyed. Sorry for the crappy pics but it was night! I will be happy to answer any questions on the install......

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll be getting my GM OEM tonneau cover next week after I get my Linex sprayed in the bed. The forum members and the website state that it "should fit" and I am sure it will use the same filler type seal but I have yet to actually see it and how it fits around these massive mounts.
Looking forward to getting my bed done and covered with the OEM off-road lights installed.
If you get a chance, post some more pics.

·
Vendor
415 Posts
Hey Mran, thanks for the pics! I think you're the first (on the forum at least) to get one of these set up with the sport bar. Do you mind providing a few daylight pics? Especially of the rail interface with the sport bar? I'm also going to pass your feedback along to Truxedo just as an FYI to them. Please keep this thread updated as you start to deal with weather!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've had the LoPro QT on my first gen for about 5 years. I've been happy with it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...so today was the first day of rain and there was some seepage along both the bulkhead and both sides of the bed. Not a crazy amount but visible. The problem is how the sportbar mounts to the bed. It mounts with a "flange" bolted on the inside of the bed rail. The cover mounting rail cannot sit flush to the inside bed rail because of this. It sticks out about a .5inch and the thicker weather-stripping would even this out and provide a flush surface to mount to.

I will try to post some more pics today...standbye.

Mark

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ok...so today was the first day of rain and there was some seepage along both the bulkhead and both sides of the bed. Not a crazy amount but visible. The problem is how the sportbar mounts to the bed. It mounts with a "flange" bolted on the inside of the bed rail. The cover mounting rail cannot sit flush to the inside bed rail because of this. It sticks out about a .5inch and the thicker weather-stripping would even this out and provide a flush surface to mount to.

I will try to post some more pics today...standbye.

Mark
My cover leaks slightly around the corners, but that has not really been an issue for my usage.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are some better pics...and yes that is the water seepage I was referring too.

first and fourth pic is from the top of the bed rail, you can see the two layers of weatherstripping that is butting up to the Sport bar mounting flange.
Second pic is a shot of the cover from the tailgate looking underneath the cover right side
Third pic is the mounting flange of the sport bar that the rail sits on when you mount it to the bed of the truck. this is the flange that sticks out further than the actual bedrail so when you mount the track to the bedrail, it stops the rail from sitting flush.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Even without the sport bar, flexible roll-up covers are prone to seepage and I dont think a small leak is a major problem.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, not many things are waterproof and we find out soon enough..
I am ok with that and I think I'll be happy with a similar setup.
Thanks for the extra pictures, it looks good enough for me and I think eventually I could probably modify it to make it fit even better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so quick update....I put a slight bead of silicone where the covers weather stripping meets the sport Bar mount and viola....no more water seepage.

I am very happy with this product...the only issue I have is that when you are rolling it up, the ends of the cover hit the Sport bar mount and scrape ...its is really not that big a deal just annoying.

Good strong cover.......

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
21 Posts
Install pointer

Thanks for the thread OP your pics encouraged me to get one myself.

A couple pointers on the install though that Truxedo forgets to mention in the instructions, use clamps!

Using clamps gets rid of the need to double up on the weather stripping and makes it way easier to get level. When you unscrew the sport bar from the bed it contracts in some and needs a good bit of pressure to sit flush with the weather stripping. I'll throw some pics in for reference.

Oh and for the price of these covers Truxedo should throw in some alcohol wipes and a tube of thread locker!

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.