Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
:roll: Those guys are idiots.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is one person's opinion and over all I didn't think he was too harsh.

Can't comment on his critique of the auto trans, I have a manual.

I didn't agree with his impression of the 355's fuel economy. I'm consistently getting low twenties around town and almost 25 highway in my I4 4x4. Others on this board report similar or even better mileage. Yeah ... a full size might get close to 20 highway with a V6.... but that's still a 20-25% diff and to some, that's significant. And for those of us who put a premium on fuel economy, Toyota and GM are the only manufacturers offering a 4 cylinder in a small truck and GM does it with about 20 extra horses.

I thought he was off on the price comparison as well. With the supplier’s discount and the special sales offer, I paid just under 19k out the door for a realtively bare bones, extended cab, I4 4x4. A similarly configured/equipped Toyota was easily $3k-$5k more …if I could get one.

When I test drove the Tacoma, it had all the refinements and doo-dads you'd expect and while that’s nice, they're not free and my thinking was, I was buying a truck ....not a luxury car....I'll take the cash.

I read through about half the follow up comments. Same stuff you usually read on these sites. Some want more take off, more power, more towing, some want more utility and efficiency. Some GM bigots, some GM zealots. I'm not an engineer but I don't like the idea of a unibody truck.

For me, the jury is still out and will be for at least several more years on how the Chevy experience compares to the Toyota (I've owned several Toyotas, this is my first Chevy). But all in all, so far so good.

I’m not going to miss the fancy doo-dads too much and I'm anticipating a few more little annoyances out of the Chevy as it grows old. (hey, at 51, I'm begining to relate to that). If things work out, I’ll get a decent truck, I’ll get to keep some cash and I’ll be supporting a domestic manufacturer.

Not a bad deal IMO if I can get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts