Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I was driving to work, just cruising on the highway at 70mph. Then, I hear a loud thunk that sounded like it came from the transmission/transfer case area, and the check engine light came on. The truck went into Limp-Home mode, and the "D" on the DIC and the shifter started blinking. Well, crap! I pulled over on the side of the road, turned the truck off, turned it back on, and still in Limp mode. I was close-ish to the GMC dealer I bought it from so I took all the side roads I could to get there.
OnStar emails me this:

OnStar Email said:
An issue with the engine and transmission system in your 2017 GMC Canyon Crew Cab has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 1 day.
The dealership is taking a look at it today to figure out what is going on with it. I bought it at the end of February (6 or so months ago), and I've got just over 16k miles on it, so I am still well within warranty, but I am annoyed that I have to deal with this. I am hoping that the dealership can figure it out on the first try, but I'll be leery of the truck for a little while afterward.

Anyone have something like this happen to them? If so, what was the culprit? The facebook group has a guy with a similar problem that turned out to be the ignition switch it seems. The symptoms don't seem to make sense for that, but we will see what the dealership finds.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That sucks... Good Luck and keep pushing the dealer until they fix it!!

These trucks are data heavy...with lots of sensors & data feedback to the computer. The computer is constantly reading the data as to whether its 'within parameters'. That data is processed and ...data comes out to run your truck. Everything is affected by the computer these days.

Many years ago, we had a Grand Cherokee that went into LIMP mode - and from what I remember..... it was a bad Throttle position sensor (or something to that affect). Basically, the vehicle didn't know where the throttle was. That's one of the data points that it needs to keep things running, along with probably a million other things.

It's probably a faulty sensor somewhere...and it could be anything.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had the exact situation as Janster but with a Ford Explorer. Driving on the highway a/c on and suddenly the truck went into limp mode. It was also the throttle position sensor.
But, as said, it could be any number of things with these electronically dependant vehicles.
Make sure you post back and let us know exactly what it was.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I am just worried that since there was clearly a mechanical noise that it is more than software. It could have just been the transmission fail-safe forcing into neutral until speed was reduced, but not a good sound either way.
They put me in a Tahoe for the loaner (since they didn't have a loaner available, and had to have enterprise rent me a car, that was the closest GM product to the Canyon they had.)
A few things I noticed about the Tahoe compared to the Canyon:

The dead pedal is worse than the Canyon.
It is definitely slower than the Canyon, and I miss the Canyon already for this.
There is no 4x4 indicator, and the knob is hidden behind the steering wheel, just like the Canyon. (And this one doesn't have the 4LO option, but did have Auto and 4HI)
I am glad I didn't pay extra for the Nav, it said my commute would be 20 mins quicker than it was with the same route. (Basically, it didn't download traffic data for morning rush hour.) Google maps still wins by a huge margin.
The seat has 8-way power, which was nice, but didn't seem as comfortable as the Canyon.
Fitting a baby seat in the back is a little easier in the Tahoe, but that makes sense given its size.

Now, I play the waiting game to see what the dealership has to say.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called to get an update on my truck. What I was worried about: they would reset the computer and it would seem fine. That seems to be the case right now. They cleared the few codes that were in the system, and reset it, and have been test driving it throughout the day to see if it does it again, and so far, it's been fine.
They were saying it may have been something electrical that caused it, like a voltage spike, and tried to say that my LED lights on my sport bar may have been the cause.
Well, they couldn't be, I haven't wired them yet... :serious: Even if they were, they would be installed directly to the battery through a switch and a relay, not connected to the truck system, and highly unlikely to cause an issue like this.

I guess I will have to just hope the issue doesn't come back, but nothing makes me feel confident it won't happen again... ugh.
Overall, the thing I am most worried about is my wife is due in less than 2 weeks with our second baby, and really don't want this to happen while we are on the way to the hospital... fingers crossed for now.

When I go get the truck, I will see what codes come up and report back here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@monkeyracer, the transfer case does have a neutral position. The next you get in your truck, and look at the 4WD knob right when you first start it up. It will give an amber indication next to the Neutral sign, and if you listen for it or feel for it, you'll hear and/or feel a slight clunk. Imagine the transfer case going into neutral at higher speeds, and it could very well make an audible clunk. Hopefully it's just a queertron issue that solves itself. Uh, wait. Am I allowed to use that term anymore? How about a "confused electron?"

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@monkeyracer, the transfer case does have a neutral position. The next you get in your truck, and look at the 4WD knob right when you first start it up. It will give an amber indication next to the Neutral sign, and if you listen for it or feel for it, you'll hear and/or feel a slight clunk. Imagine the transfer case going into neutral at higher speeds, and it could very well make an audible clunk. Hopefully it's just a queertron issue that solves itself. Uh, wait. Am I allowed to use that term anymore? How about a "confused electron?"
I am aware of the transfer case modes:

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...ential-new-product-4x4-indicator-display.html

And, I am aware of the clunk it makes when shifting. It was in rear wheel drive the whole time though. When the clunk happened, it seemed the transmission went into neutral until I slowed down below the 30mph limit. Once I was under 30, I could drive the truck. If the t-case was in neutral, I wouldn't have been able to.

Seems to be some confused electrons, at least that's the best guess so far.

·
Registered
126 Posts

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...ential-new-product-4x4-indicator-display.html

It was in rear wheel drive the whole time though.

When the clunk happened, it seemed the transmission went into neutral until I slowed down below the 30mph limit. Once I was under 30, I could drive the truck. If the t-case was in neutral, I wouldn't have been able to.

As someone who deals with sophisticated electronic systems daily, I would rephrase that sentence that I put in bold. "Rear wheel drive was SELECTED the whole time." When electrons go bad, you only know what you've selected; the computer can give you something else. And, no, I'm not nitpicking. There's a big difference between a mode selection, and a mode activation (and I'm talking in very broad terms here, not just 4WD systems on trucks).

Hopefully your clunk was just an overzealous method GM devised to slow the truck to the 30mph limp home speed, like you suggested, where the transmission temporarily disengaged from Drive mode, and went into neutral. I hope the dealer can find a cause other than "Whoops." Those sorts of resolutions (rebooting the computer, or reseting a system) tend to annoy me because I'm always thinking it could happen again. Good luck!!

Reactions: GraniteBlue05

·
Registered
660 Posts
and tried to say that my LED lights on my sport bar may have been the cause.
Well, they couldn't be, I haven't wired them yet... :serious: E
BS!!! Tell them you had a guy with the same lights but they WERE wired pass you at the same moment the truck went into limp mode and they will blame that guy!!! Dealers SUCK. They will say anything to pass the buck and avoid taking care of the problem.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It was in rear wheel drive the whole time though.

When the clunk happened, it seemed the transmission went into neutral until I slowed down below the 30mph limit. Once I was under 30, I could drive the truck. If the t-case was in neutral, I wouldn't have been able to.

As someone who deals with sophisticated electronic systems daily, I would rephrase that sentence that I put in bold. "Rear wheel drive was SELECTED the whole time." When electrons go bad, you only know what you've selected; the computer can give you something else. And, no, I'm not nitpicking. There's a big difference between a mode selection, and a mode activation (and I'm talking in very broad terms here, not just 4WD systems on trucks).

Hopefully your clunk was just an overzealous method GM devised to slow the truck to the 30mph limp home speed, like you suggested, where the transmission temporarily disengaged from Drive mode, and went into neutral. I hope the dealer can find a cause other than "Whoops." Those sorts of resolutions (rebooting the computer, or reseting a system) tend to annoy me because I'm always thinking it could happen again. Good luck!!
I say that it was in rear drive the whole time based on how the truck drives. I'm a mechanical engineer, I know the difference between 'selected' and 'activated'. No electrons needed to tell me that.

I agree that I hate this result the most. The whole 'turn it off and back on' trick. Doesn't fix the underlying problem, but is also hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Just asking did you get the recall on the controller switch for a the transfer case?

I have a 17 built in Dec and the dealer fixed it right when I got it. I tell it can either lock you up or se a code.

The real issue anymore is new vehicles are do electrical and that increases the diagnosis factor x100.

Mechanical was not always easy o find but at least you can see the issue or hear it.

I am not sure of the parts name but it was a switch on the case that would shift the transfer. They had the same recall even on the full size trucks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wow that sucks! Let us know if it does it again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is why I bought my truck local instead of buying far away and saving money..THESE TRUCKS BREAK....Wonder why Toyotas are better ..Chevys are not built good anymore ..
Toyo's aren't perfect, but my 02 Tacoma was a great truck except for the frame rot/rust. I'd still have it if it weren't for that. The new Taco's certainly have had their problems too. IMO the mid-size truck with the least issues is the Frontier. Only because it's hardly changed since 05, and they got the major bugs out after the 12's. I had a 2010, and I'll consider a 17 PRO-4X if this truck of mine doesn't behave it'self.

Reactions: GraniteBlue05

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just asking did you get the recall on the controller switch for the transfer case?

I have a 17 built in Dec and the dealer fixed it right when I got it. I tell it can either lock you up or see a code.

The real issue anymore is new vehicles are so electrical and that increases the diagnosis factor x100.

Mechanical was not always easy o find but at least you can see the issue or hear it.

I am not sure of the parts name but it was a switch on the case that would shift the transfer. They had the same recall even on the full-size trucks.
My truck was built 02/06/17, and I purchased it from the dealer 02/24/17. I didn't have any recalls come up for it. I really don't think it had anything to do with the transfer case, at all.

This is why I bought my truck local instead of buying far away and saving money..THESE TRUCKS BREAK....Wonder why Toyotas are better ..Chevys are not built good anymore ..
I bought my truck local, but that doesn't matter, if you buy your truck from far away, your local dealer will still work on it. What if you buy a truck, then move to another state? GM build quality is better than it had been in the past, and every manufacturer can have problems like this.

Here's what the tech listed on my service sheet:

Dealership Tech Notes said:
Verified customer's concern. Found code P16F3 for TCM performance. Followed diagnostics and inspected wiring and connectors. No problem found.
Cleared code and test drove vehicle. Light did not reset and everything checks good at this time.
If you search that code this is what I find:

P16F3 - Control Module Redundant Memory Performance
The code is common in 2015 6.2L equipped GM cars and trucks, and an updated software calibration was implemented to solve the issue. Typical after cold start situations.
Also seems to be an issue for the 2.5L Manual transmission Colorado/Canyon, typically after "lugging" the engine (inadequate throttle in low RPM going up an incline).

Basically, it is a memory failure in the TCM. This type of thing could happen in a similar situation, or randomly at any time, or it could even never happen again.

So, since I picked it back up yesterday, it's been driving fine, but it was driving fine for 16k miles before that. This is literally the only hiccup I have had with the truck.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Todays cars are like a computer and just need a hard reset to get them back in sync.

Resetting the computer fixes most things long term and is not the easy way out. Often it is the first thing that solves most cases.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts

They have issues too. Just had a friend dump a year old one for issues. The leak in the roof was the final straw.

In production there will always be issues and the complaints will always be seen on the web though the majority never start a Gee I have never had an issue thread.

Another buddy has a Taco that broke in half at 8 years old. Rust was the issue and he was one year out of the buy back. Sorry about your luck is all he got.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Toyo's aren't perfect, but my 02 Tacoma was a great truck except for the frame rot/rust. I'd still have it if it weren't for that. The new Taco's certainly have had their problems too. IMO the mid-size truck with the least issues is the Frontier. Only because it's hardly changed since 05, and they got the major bugs out after the 12's. I had a 2010, and I'll consider a 17 PRO-4X if this truck of mine doesn't behave it'self.
Agree.. .. We looked at the Frontier also. Liked the "legacy" of having been around a long time. Seats and a few other things were issues for us.

But the new Colorado/Canyon is a winner all around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here's what the tech listed on my service sheet:

If you search that code this is what I find:

Also seems to be an issue for the 2.5L Manual transmission Colorado/Canyon, typically after "lugging" the engine (inadequate throttle in low RPM going up an incline).
Outstanding - I'll use this to further support my aggressive driving style!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.