Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just left school going less than 20 mph to get to the first stop light. As i got there And came to a complete stop . Then the light turned green. I gave the car some gas and it wasnt going. The happened for a about 30 sec me trying yo give more gas and still stayed the same spot. I put the car in park and then the car jumped forward really hard. So i turned the car off and on again.. then everything was fine. I wonder if i accidently put the car in Manual instead of drive?

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
I had just left school going less than 20 mph to get to the first stop light. As i got there And came to a complete stop . Then the light turned green. I gave the car some gas and it wasnt going. The happened for a about 30 sec me trying yo give more gas and still stayed the same spot. I put the car in park and then the car jumped forward really hard. So i turned the car off and on again.. then everything was fine. I wonder if i accidently put the car in Manual instead of drive?
Need lots more information:

- Did any idiot lights or warnings from DIC show up?
- When you gave it "gas" did you hear engine racing or any noise?
- Model/trim/engine information. Assume it is a gasser since you gave it gas. (year too since the 2015-2016 have a different engine than 2017-2018.)
- Were you on a hill or incline for vehicle to jump forward?

There are a lot of things that should have been noticeable if you had a failure of some sort. Manual mode should not have resulted in a "seizure" but rather just locked you in a lower gear. Be more likely to have knocked it into NEUTRAL, but then you would have heard the engine racing.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Also . . .. is it 4WD and maybe was driving on dry pavement with it engaged and locked.?

Put a truck description like below in your profile "Signature" - - -

2017 Cyber Gray 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB- (Z71 Tires & Wheels), Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Also . . .. is it 4WD and maybe was driving on dry pavement with it engaged and locked.?
Good point.

I guess also, could have knocked the transfer case into neutral, or somehow it went into neutral, and on re-start, corrected itself into a gear.

Or, the engine simply stalled like a few others have mentioned, and just needed to re-start engine. However, that should have resulted in an instrument panel that looked like a Christmas celebration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 2015 slt gmc canyon. And it has 4wd. I was on a flat road. And i wasnt paying attention to the lights on the dashboard. Since there was a whole lot of beeping behind me. It felt like the truck was out of gear. Thats why im assuming i was in some sort of manual mode

·
Registered
478 Posts
This happened to me way back when my truck only had about 4k miles on it. The difference was that it would never re-engage. I did have reverse though. Had it towed to the dealer. A retaining clip had come loose on the shift piston inside the transmission, which caused the piston to go too far forward and lose pressure. It was repaired quickly under warranty, but it left me stranded. I have since put and additional 40k trouble free miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.