Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has tried to change a tire with the included Jack. It is basically useless and wondering what people who are going to be a little more out there carry. We are going to be doing a long road trip over christmas and want to be able to change a tire if needed.

thanks

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Have never tried it, but I carry a 4”x6” block with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used mine on the side of the road on a rear tire. Worked fine to jack up the axle and get the wheel up. The bigger problem I had was the tire iron bending. Seems like it wasn't rated for the 140 ft/lb torque spec.

·
Registered
126 Posts
At a minimum buy a socket breaker bar and a deep well socket to fit your lugs and carry a small block of wood to put under the jack. Decent breaker bars are worth their weight in gold for less strain on the back etc.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Bought one of these awesome lug wrenches for each of my 3 vehicles. Great compact, will fit most sizes, had to buy a 13/16” Deep Socket to add to one to fit my travel trailer lugs. Very nice lug wrench even for the complainers of 4 way lug wrenches. Worth a try! I have back trouble and they work well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have had a flat, stock jack etc sucks. I have a telescopic lug wrench, ( think its called a gorilla bar ) closed, its about 12"+, opens to about 18", enough leverage.
I hate wood, (find it smells if it gets wet and weakens over time) so I picked up a plastic stair tread, cut it into 3 equal lengths and have one in each of my cars/trucks. Doesn't absorb water, stiff and doesn't crack, gives me about a 10 x 10 x 1½ board.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Have not had any problems with the 4”x6” treated block getting wet and smelling under the Tonneau cover yet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I carry a small 3 ton floor jack in my tool box and a 4 way lug wrench along with my off road recovery gear as well as two jack stands for safety. I still need to add a piece of 2 x 12 to put under the jack for off road conditions along with a bottle jack. Haven't even looked at the stock jack. I just know from experience that they have a habit of not being the best option.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I carry one of these when I tow the travel trailer, but now will be putting it back in the truck for all time, now that the OP mentioned the jack problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I carry one of these when I tow the travel trailer, but now will be putting it back in the truck for all time, now that the OP mentioned the jack problem.

I really want 6 of these jacks! 4 for the travel trailer to replace the flimsy stabilizer jacks and two for the truck! I'd leave the floor jack at home.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
They are really nice jacks and I like the idea of it being a jack stand and hydraulic operation. They run about $55.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Tractor Supply has a nice bottle jack/jack stand for about $55. Large enough base to be stable in most situations and not overly large.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yea, this one.! Sorry cannot get it to copy over. It’s the Powerbuilt hydraulic bottle jack stand.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yea, this one.! Sorry cannot get it to copy over. It’s the Powerbuilt hydraulic bottle jack stand.

That's it, real happy with mine, good safety factor if you need to go under the truck when off road. I keep it in a small milk crate with my chain, strapped to the front corner of the bed.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Thoughts regarding this bottle jack from Harbor Freight? Need it for a trip, including off road
4 ton and 15 1/8” lift height
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-hydraulic-heavy-duty-bottle-jack-69472.html

Like the jack/jack stand combo WhiteColly16 linked above, but need one very soon and Harbor Freight is about 15 min away.
It's a bottle jack. If the closed and extended dimensions work, you should be fine. I don't consider a bottle jack to be a fine piece of mechanical equipment. With offroad needs, I would make sure I have a few sections of 2x6 lumber to use as a platform so you don't just shove it down in the mud. I might worry that if you are in the mud, with a flat tire, truck may be too low to get this underneath at 7 5/8" tall.

I would love to see something I could put at the top of the jack that gave a wider base to lift the vehicle, and maybe even a u-shaped attachment to cup the axle in while raising the vehicle.

Someone should design something, probably out of aluminum, that has a u-shape on one side and a flat/serrated shape on the flip side with a round hole on each side to mount to the top of the bottle jack to make the interface with the truck more stable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts