Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has tried to change a tire with the included Jack. It is basically useless and wondering what people who are going to be a little more out there carry. We are going to be doing a long road trip over christmas and want to be able to change a tire if needed.

thanks

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Have never tried it, but I carry a 4”x6” block with me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used mine on the side of the road on a rear tire. Worked fine to jack up the axle and get the wheel up. The bigger problem I had was the tire iron bending. Seems like it wasn't rated for the 140 ft/lb torque spec.

·
Registered
48 Posts
At a minimum buy a socket breaker bar and a deep well socket to fit your lugs and carry a small block of wood to put under the jack. Decent breaker bars are worth their weight in gold for less strain on the back etc.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Bought one of these awesome lug wrenches for each of my 3 vehicles. Great compact, will fit most sizes, had to buy a 13/16” Deep Socket to add to one to fit my travel trailer lugs. Very nice lug wrench even for the complainers of 4 way lug wrenches. Worth a try! I have back trouble and they work well.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have had a flat, stock jack etc sucks. I have a telescopic lug wrench, ( think its called a gorilla bar ) closed, its about 12"+, opens to about 18", enough leverage.
I hate wood, (find it smells if it gets wet and weakens over time) so I picked up a plastic stair tread, cut it into 3 equal lengths and have one in each of my cars/trucks. Doesn't absorb water, stiff and doesn't crack, gives me about a 10 x 10 x 1½ board.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Have not had any problems with the 4”x6” treated block getting wet and smelling under the Tonneau cover yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I carry a small 3 ton floor jack in my tool box and a 4 way lug wrench along with my off road recovery gear as well as two jack stands for safety. I still need to add a piece of 2 x 12 to put under the jack for off road conditions along with a bottle jack. Haven't even looked at the stock jack. I just know from experience that they have a habit of not being the best option.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Tractor Supply has a nice bottle jack/jack stand for about $55. Large enough base to be stable in most situations and not overly large.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
madcratebuilder
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing