Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I’ve been experiencing this trouble for a couple weeks:
  • when coming to full stop (e.g. at a traffic light), right before the wheels stop, I feel a “thump” or a slight “jolt” forward
  • Another way to describe the feel would be like the brakes “let go” just a bit, or like if a heavy item in the cargo bed would hit the back of the box
  • This appears to be happening when the transmission is engaged (truck has a manual transmission)
  • Coming to a stop in neutral appears to be a workaround
  • There are no other obvious signs of transmission issues: no smell, grinding noises, gear shifting issues, clutch pedal course is normal and feels exactly the same as before
I’ve read in some forums I might have to change the transmission fluid, but I’m not yet sure this is even a transmission problem.

Would appreciate any help!

Best

·
Registered
734 Posts
You are pushing the clutch in before this happens, correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello @S2H,

Had to think about it for a second, but yes, indeed correct. This would happen with the gears engaged, so clutch pedal depressed.

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was going to say that is normal to happen in the 17 and up 8 speeds but then I saw you had a manual trans.
I have no clue about manual transmissions and I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of active members on here who have them in their trucks.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,593 Posts
I’d climb under the truck and visually and physically check for anything unusual.

My buddy has a 2005 and he kept talking about a thud when driving a certain stretch of roadway. I crawled underneath his truck and found the transmission crossmember was completely rusted in two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d climb under the truck and visually and physically check for anything unusual.

My buddy has a 2005 and he kept talking about a thud when driving a certain stretch of roadway. I crawled underneath his truck and found the transmission crossmember was completely rusted in two.
Thanks @WV NATIVE,

I’m due for changing over to winter tires, will check that as soon as the truck is on my brother’s lift.

Best

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Thanks @WV NATIVE,

I’m due for changing over to winter tires, will check that as soon as the truck is on my brother’s lift.

Best
check the front end parts too. Like a wiped out a arm bushing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,

So I put on the winter tires over the weekend and took a good look underneath the truck. Cross brace in perfect shape.

I found the cardan joint rubber boots are damaged and this will need to be changed. Ball joints were OK. Any idea if a damaged cardan can produce that thud?

Best,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts