Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet colorado 2015 2.5L Extended Cab automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does anyone kniw the exact oil quantity in liters for the 6L50 transmission including filter change?

·
Registered
2016 Colorado
59 Posts
9.5 liters of fluid. According to gm total weight is 9.1kg with the tc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Pan drop is 6 - 6 1/2 quarts. You do the conversion.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just did mine this past week-end on my 2016, 6.5 quarts came out, I also emptied the filter. I had very little fluid drop out outside the oil pan while draining, so it was quite accurate.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I just did mine this past week-end on my 2016, 6.5 quarts came out, I also emptied the filter. I had very little fluid drop out outside the oil pan while draining, so it was quite accurate.
Can you provide some details? Drain the trans filter? How did you drain the trans fluid from the trans pan when there's no drain plug?

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
If you remove the check plug without the truck running, alot of the fluid will drain, enough to lower the pan, or you can use an extractor.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
If you remove the check plug without the truck running, alot of the fluid will drain, enough to lower the pan, or you can use an extractor.
Yes, I know. I'm asking the person I quoted for a reason, though. Not because I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Yes, I know. I'm asking the person I quoted for a reason, though. Not because I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Sure sounds like he just slowly dropped the pan 'draining' as he went to me.
He said 'outside' the pan too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I dropped the tranny pan I had very little fluid spillage. To be as accurate as possible on how much fluid I needed to put back in I also removed the filter and drained it, it had about a cup of fluid in it. I re-used it because I plan on doing this one more time in about 7-10K miles, I'll put a new filter and pan gasket on at that time (at about 100K miles).

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
When I dropped the tranny pan I had very little fluid spillage. To be as accurate as possible on how much fluid I needed to put back in I also removed the filter and drained it, it had about a cup of fluid in it. I re-used it because I plan on doing this one more time in about 7-10K miles, I'll put a new filter and pan gasket on at that time (at about 100K miles).
Right on. Did you end up using a hand pump to refill via the fill hole from under the truck or use some other method? A couple of drain and fills with a filter change over that span of miles is probably the best way to get mostly-fresh fluid in there without doing a fluid exchange. As I get older (I'm not "old" but my oldest daughter is 20! Oof.) I find I'm less willing to do messy or involved jobs that a shop can do for a couple hundred bucks or so. $300 for a fluid exchange and filter replacement every 45k miles is worth me not having to deal with it, but I happily do oil changes and service the diffs and t-cases with my truck and my wife's Jeep. I've recently just started having my daughter spend the $20 to have the local dealer do her oil changes because I don't want to deal with putting her car up on ramps and then deal with having even more oil to drop off for recycling. :D

Anyway, if the refilling of the trans weren't such a pain then I'd get a PML pan and do the maintenance myself since those have a drain plug and make the job even easier. Looks like they're working on making a stock capacity pan for the 6L50 that should be available later this year. They already have the deep pan, but stock capacity would be nice if there are ground clearance concerns.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
98 Posts
The first time I attempted the tranny flush I installed a Lokar fill tube/dipstick. It made filing up a snap. I believe I did a write up on it here, you can search on my user name. But I screwed up 3 of the 6 exhaust flange nuts and could not drop the pan, so I only drained about 3.5 quarts of fluid that time. I cut the nuts off off the damn exhaust flange (no pun intended) and put anti-seize on the bolts so the new hardware will be easier to remove next time.

Reactions: DieselDrax

·
Registered
6,287 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts