Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months the transmission has made a metallic buzzing noise when I come to a stop and then for a few seconds while stopped. During this time the idle will be normal but the truck will vibrate.
While sitting still when I shift from Park to Reverse, there will be a buzz for a few seconds. From Neutral to either Drive or Reverse produces the same noise.
Drive-ability doesn't seem affected apart from the vibration as soon as you come to a stop.
The noise seems to be coming from the driver's side of the transmission.
Has anyone experienced this?
Is this something that can be fixed easy?
Does it mean a new transmission?
The tranny shop wasn't familiar with it and wants it for 3 hours to diagnose at $105/hr.

·
Premium Member
8,870 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattling.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it is the left side of the transmission while you are seated in the driver seat. Sounds easily radiate through the vehicle.

I would check the exhaust heat shield for a busted weld.

I have nothing about the vibration you say you feel, aside from it being a coincidence.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I came to that conclusion because after years of wrenching, I listen, had my wife in the truck shifting gears and listen to both sides of the vehicle and narrowed it down to the transmission.

The shudder is caused by whatever is happening in the transmission lot letting the pressure in it not release, what is causing this is what I don't know.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Just a long shot, but check the engine/transmission mounts. Worn mounts wouldn't account for the sound, but could contribute to the vibration at idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts