Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Pretty cool vid.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, thanks for that!
Makes me wonder if the level in my tranny is OK since they overfilled the SS at the factory. Have to check if my Ultragauge shows the trans fluid temp.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 16 has Transmission Temp. in the DIC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great video, when I was a young man I spent years rebuilding transmissions and gm creating this method is so far over the top.

So, a customer walks in the door, please check my fluid level.. get it on the lift, 22 minutes after that, you can check it provided the ambient temperature is around 84*, maybe longer in the winter, then if it needs fluid, add more, let it drain, replace the plug, take it off the lift. Potentially a 1 hour job, just to check the fluid.

Pretty astounding.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
Who comes up with this stuff! I just want to check my fluid level at the house. This is stupid GM.
Agreed, this is beyond dumb. Great video though.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
yup yup yup, my trans is fine... keep my fingers crossed lol.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Who comes up with this stuff! I just want to check my fluid level at the house. This is stupid GM.

Agreed, the engineering clown(s) that came up with the idea of not having a dipstick to check your fluid level in your tranny should be shot. I guess GM is trying to save money on dipsticks, but if that was the case they'd have to get rid of all the dipsticks that work for them....Another Moron award for GM..

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
trans fluid in the past would never have to be topped off unless there was a leak. so why not? if there was a leak you would know it by the spots on the ground

For the simple fact that you can spot potential transmission problems by inspecting the condition of the fluid on the end of the dipstick.

Maybe you towed a heavy load against a strong headwind in the desert & overheated you transmission. If you had a dipstick you could have a quick look at it's condition, if it's looking brownish or smells burnt you might be able to save or prolong the life of a transmission by servicing it, pretty hard to do this simple procedure without a dipstick.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Interesting...but it still left the question of how to get ALL of the fluid out if you want to do a drain and refill, other than the dealer pump n flush.

I would hate to have remove the pan just to get the oil out.

Most of us have garages or shops but hell will freeze over before we can afford a sophisticated pumping system that the GM dealers use and accomplish the same chore at home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I drain mine by pull the front wheels up on a ramps on an incline ( be carful to have back wheels blocked and parking brake on) I drain from fill check plug into a bucket & then pour into a large measuring cup, I get 5 quarts out(5x32fluid oz).
Then I put the exact same amount in. Works well. I hand pump new transmission fluid in.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.