Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Here is a picture of the deep pan on a Colorado. Will give you an idea of the ground clearance with respect to the crossover exhaust pipe.

I saw a good picture before where someone had actually took a scale from pan to ground, but I cannot find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem like kayakerdon is intent on persuading everyone into thinking adding a bypass filter is the best decision you could ever make? That combined with the short amount of time he has been a member of this forum makes me think he is trying "sell", either figuratively or literally, on this. Smells a bit fishy to me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem like kayakerdon is intent on persuading everyone into thinking adding a bypass filter is the best decision you could ever make? That combined with the short amount of time he has been a member of this forum makes me think he is trying "sell", either figuratively or literally, on this. Smells a bit fishy to me...
He's done the same on one of the other forums as well. It doesn't get the same amount of traffic so no one responded.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
The OP has 26 total post count and 25 of the 63 in this thread so far are his. I believe he is trying to sell the idea, but no one is falling for it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's a fringe idea in this context for sure, but it's absolutely sound. He's probably not coming from the "new car, trust the manufacturer" perspective like most people on forums for new cars do. I've put aftermarket filtration on a few cars, and it's great. I've had cars that didn't come with engine oil filtration from the factory, had 1500 mile oil change intervals, and 60K rebuild intervals. Aftermarket filtration (inline or bypass) helps things last longer. You can't be thinking in terms of 150K miles "lifetime" like the OEMs or many new car owners do. My personal goal with my truck is 500K minimum, and transmission filtration takes at least one, and probably more like two transmissions out of that interval.

Now, the transmission that comes with the diesels seems to be much more robust than the one that comes with the gassers, and installing bypass filtration seems like exactly the sort of thing that would engender a serious fight with a service department for any warranty claims, so tempering the plan with some practicality, I'd be very likely to install a bypass filtration system on my transmission the second the warranty is up. I'll be doing the same with my engine. I'm the sort that cashes in on my dealer oil change at 500 miles so I'm not running the break in fines any longer than necessary though, so consider my take with a grain of salt.

In the end, if the OP wants to do it, GREAT! Document well! Convince someone to sell a kit! Take lots of photos! Follow up every so often with UOA. The new car crowd may not bite, but 15 years from now, when people are much more concerned with maintenance and wear, the reception will be far better. That said, OP, I wouldn't bother countering each critical response. This is the internet. It's not worth the brain damage. I'm with you. I want to see this happen. I'll be right behind you once I'm not worried about the warranty (through time, miles, or confidence). Let's see it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Friend, you could not be more incorrect. Please reread my original post. I posted here hoping to find informed opinions on bypass filtration related to the GM 6L50 transmission. I was met mostly with uninformed and largely baseless rebuttals to points I was not even trying to make. I would not waste a moment of my time trying to sell you or anyone anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
It's a fringe idea in this context for sure, but it's absolutely sound. He's probably not coming from the "new car, trust the manufacturer" perspective like most people on forums for new cars do. I've put aftermarket filtration on a few cars, and it's great. I've had cars that didn't come with engine oil filtration from the factory, had 1500 mile oil change intervals, and 60K rebuild intervals. Aftermarket filtration (inline or bypass) helps things last longer. You can't be thinking in terms of 150K miles "lifetime" like the OEMs or many new car owners do. My personal goal with my truck is 500K minimum, and transmission filtration takes at least one, and probably more like two transmissions out of that interval.

Now, the transmission that comes with the diesels seems to be much more robust than the one that comes with the gassers, and installing bypass filtration seems like exactly the sort of thing that would engender a serious fight with a service department for any warranty claims, so tempering the plan with some practicality, I'd be very likely to install a bypass filtration system on my transmission the second the warranty is up. I'll be doing the same with my engine. I'm the sort that cashes in on my dealer oil change at 500 miles so I'm not running the break in fines any longer than necessary though, so consider my take with a grain of salt.

In the end, if the OP wants to do it, GREAT! Document well! Convince someone to sell a kit! Take lots of photos! Follow up every so often with UOA. The new car crowd may not bite, but 15 years from now, when people are much more concerned with maintenance and wear, the reception will be far better. That said, OP, I wouldn't bother countering each critical response. This is the internet. It's not worth the brain damage. I'm with you. I want to see this happen. I'll be right behind you once I'm not worried about the warranty (through time, miles, or confidence). Let's see it!
<<<<THANKS>>>> And thank you especially for taking the time to provide a detailed, even, well-reasoned, and logical approach. I have and I am giving thorough consideration to everything you have said in your post. Interestingly, the bypass filter manufacturer with whom I am working is trying to develop just such a kit so that anyone that wants such a kit could have one. I just happened to be calling them for a custom return oil cap for my engine oil bypass system when I got a rep that was lead on developing a kit for bypass filtering transmission fluid. I wished I had a manual transmission in my Colorado so that I would only need implement bypass filtration for my engine and not for the transmission too. Since I have an automatic and by all rights it seems to be a very good transmission, I am proceeding very carefully and also working with a tranny shop to ensure I do not damage the transmission. I found a tranny shop that comes well recommended by other local custom shops (off readers mostly) to ensure that the bypass system does not take the transmission line pressures out of spec or even boarder line. If the before/after line pressures at the test port look off in any significant way by spec or in the opinion of the tranny shop, the system will be removed immediately and returned to the vendor for recalibration with the test data from the tranny shop. Again, many thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The OP has 26 total post count and 25 of the 63 in this thread so far are his. I believe he is trying to sell the idea, but no one is falling for it.
You are wrong friend. Reread the original post. I was not looking to sell anyone anything. Total BS to sell or believe that. Like i said in a recent post, this was clearly the wrong location to post a query for informed knowledge or experience on this topic. Feel free to spend your time harassing or falsely accusing other posters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
He's done the same on one of the other forums as well. It doesn't get the same amount of traffic so no one responded.
On WHAT other forums? I went looking for informed opinions and not religious wars. Reread the original post. If you do not have knowledge that is pertinent to it, you NEVER had any obligation or invitation to replay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
While it is not additional filtration, it is easy enough to add an aftermarket higher capacity transmission pan with a drain plug while doing a fluid change and gain at least a good part of the sought after benefits of an add on filter, as the aftermarket pan would add capacity and make future fluid changes simple. Me being of the somewhat lazy persuasion, if fluid changes are simple, I would be inclined to do them more often, resulting in cleaner fresher trans oil. The maker claims a 10 to 15F reduction in fluid temps too.

Side note #1 - from my casual observations via the DIC, I realized a 15F reduction in trans fluid temps by simply removing the plastic pieces blocking the lower radiator where the trans coolant lines plumb in. The combo of the deeper higher capacity finnned pan and unblocked radiator should go a long way toward keeping fluid temps down. Removing the plastic pieces is easy - just reach through the grille with a long needle nose pliers, pinch the clips to detach, then push them out the bottom past the soft rubber gasket. The whole procedure took me 10 minutes tops. These are on the diesels only I believe - my understanding is the gas trucks have a separate trans cooler, which I am quite jealous of. ;)

Back to the pan, I am considering one of these pans, planning on changing my truck's fluid and filter this Spring at around 45K miles.

Side note #2 - with the tuning tweaks, the my truck transmission's function is awesome - smooth and yet firm, and earlier shift points which align with the diesel's bottom heavy power curve. I wonder if a lot of the problem transmissions we hear about are at least contributed to if not caused by bad programming vs. bad hardware, as the settings in the TCM matter a great deal.

The stock settings that came with my diesel were sloppy as Hell with lots of unnecessary slipping / flaring. A lot of the diesel's solid grunty goodness was blunted and lost in a sea of torque converter mush. With 369 lb ft of torque, the diesel does not need any extra "help" from it's transmission to punt the truck down the road. Over time I could see all that slipping polluting and breaking down the fluid, and wearing on the trans parts.
<<<THANKS>>> I really appreciate the insight. It sounds like you have a really nice setup! I’m truly just looking to extend the life of the automatic in my diesel Colorado to the life I have gotten in the better part of a million miles of driving manual transmission. What you did sounds like a really solid step in that direction. When I posted, I had hoped to receive more posts like yours. Again, many thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I say kudo's to you for trying this. If you can make this work, good for you.

I also tow. I do not baby my truck but I do maintain it. For me personally, changing the fluid & filter/s every 30k or so is worth it. They sure do make it difficult to do yourself though.
Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
What’s really more to say at this point other than to try it and report back.
If the system installation proves to be beneficial and the shops with whom I am working agre it is safe to leave it in place, I will likely post a detailed report. While I will think about posting it here if successful, I may not due to the overwhelmingly negative and malicious responses to post for which no one had any obligation to respond if they had neither direct or indirect knowledge of such an implementation. Anyway, I really wasn’t looking to begin a foolish and stupid argument with persons simply wanting to argue or debase other people. Anyway, I may not check this forum again for months if ever as it ha largely been wasted time. My thanks to the folks that provided well reasoned knowledge on point for this thread. The bilgerant parties can go harass someone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On WHAT other forums? I went looking for informed opinions and not religious wars. Reread the original post. If you do not have knowledge that is pertinent to it, you NEVER had any obligation or invitation to replay.
I guess there must be more than one kayakerdon? Your not helping your cause. Or causes as there must be more than one of you.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
<<<THANKS>>> I really appreciate the insight. It sounds like you have a really nice setup! I’m truly just looking to extend the life of the automatic in my diesel Colorado to the life I have gotten in the better part of a million miles of driving manual transmission. What you did sounds like a really solid step in that direction. When I posted, I had hoped to receive more posts like yours. Again, many thanks!
You are going to find that automatic transmissions, any of them, will never give you the mileage life as manual transmissions do. Just not going to happen. Even with your addition of a bypass filter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Like others have stated, post warranty, I would be interested in this, depending on price.

Don't forget though, most people do not keep their vehicles long enough to make a bypass system worth while. I am not of that camp. If I like a vehicle, I will keep it until it starts nickle & diming me to death & no longer makes sense to keep it.

Most get bored of or tired of them long before that. Good luck with this & stop back when you can & update us. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it not just possible to add an in-line filter to your transmission cooler if you have one? If not, consider adding a transmission cooler with a filter assembly?

61 - 76 of 76 Posts