Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TSB to fix the shudder with the drain/fill with new transmission fluid seems to really be helping based on some research. Is GM putting this new transmission fluid in the trucks being manufactured now, or is it still "fix per customer request/issue"? Or is GM looking to start the newer fluid fills on the 2020's? Anyone have any idea's, as I know this would be kind of hard to know for sure. Just thought I would inquire.

I am definitely looking to get a 2020 4WD truck, and would love a new ZR2 (not diesel) . But it would definitely make me feel better about the purchase knowing GM has attempted to resolve one of these transmission issues going forward instead on a case by case basis.

Earlier this year, I was going as far as looking at AWD SUV's because I knew my luck, I would be fighting the Shudder issue and getting the run-around from the dealer (yeah, my luck goes that way...lol).

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as anyone around here has reported, they haven't made the switch at the factory yet. Chime in if I'm wrong guys! I'm guessing they are waiting for for more data on the new fluid to come back before committing to it completely. The good news is that not all of those with the old fluid are experiencing the shudder, and nearly everyone with the newest flush (like me) have had zero issues afterwards. There are reports from a very few that had enough wear to also need a new torque converter, and even fewer with a similar problem (more clunk and harsh downshift or skipped gears) that needed a valve redo. It's all covered, so I wouldn't hesitate if the ZR2 fits your needs!

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as anyone around here has reported, they haven't made the switch at the factory yet. Chime in if I'm wrong guys! I'm guessing they are waiting for for more data on the new fluid to come back before committing to it completely. The good news is that not all of those with the old fluid are experiencing the shudder, and nearly everyone with the newest flush (like me) have had zero issues afterwards. There are reports from a very few that had enough wear to also need a new torque converter, and even fewer with a similar problem (more clunk and harsh downshift or skipped gears) that needed a valve redo. It's all covered, so I wouldn't hesitate if the ZR2 fits your needs!

Thanks, that does help. I knew it was all warranty work, and rental's and blah blah blah. I am old enough to understand the hassle/inconvenience when issues arise. Like everyone else, my schedule is usually so full of events, that just getting time to get to a dealer is very difficult. So I need something I 'feel' like will be very reliable to start with, and at the same time, accept things do break and that's just life. :grin2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks, that does help. I knew it was all warranty work, and rental's and blah blah blah. I am old enough to understand the hassle/inconvenience when issues arise. Like everyone else, my schedule is usually so full of events, that just getting time to get to a dealer is very difficult. So I need something I 'feel' like will be very reliable to start with, and at the same time, accept things do break and that's just life. :grin2:
Definitely understand that, and agree fully. I called the dealer to report it when I first noticed shudder, and to see if there was a line ahead of me (none here even though they had done several). Ended up letting it shudder for a month or so before I could finally take it in. Had only one evening with a loaner and picked mine up first thing the next morning.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I doubt that they made a switch at the factory on the new fluid. It would be very hard to keep track of what vehicles have/have not got the new fluid. Also, at the time the new fluid was introduced as a fix, it was in short supply and with the large number of trucks needing the new fluid flush, it will be hard for the fluid manufacturer to catch up on supply, when there have been some vehicles needing to be triple flushed at about 20 qts./flush. Plus, I do not think GM has compiled enough data as to if the new fluid flush is a guaranteed fix yet. They are hoping it is. I would think the factory would wait until new year production to start with the new fluid. Just a guess though! I do know that GM will be glad when this headache is behind them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have to chime in as a one of the few who have not had a resolution to this issue. I've had the TC replacement and a subsequent fluid flush and now visits where the dealership tries to ignore the issue (to the point of lying about what their techs have found). I've just started a claim with the BBB Auto Line in the hopes of a buyback. If I'm successful, I'll be getting the diesel (mated to the 6 speed).

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but they apparently can't *always* resolve this. Like you, I'm too darn busy for all these service visits plaguing me over the life of the truck (I'm at 24K miles and this started at 9-10K) even if they can fix the issues. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm crossing my fingers for a much smoother experience with the diesel and 6 speed (if I can get that far).

This really hasn't turned me off of the truck at all; I love it in every other way. I just thought you should hear all the experiences on this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Guessing GM has a "oil tanker" full of this crap tranny fluid and not going to swap until (1) enough owners complain and/or (2) someone blows the tanker sky-high. ;) :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I had the infamous tranny shudder combined with sluggish acceleration and terrible gas mileage from my 2016 the week I bought it new to now three years and 40k miles later. I recently got the trifecta elite tune and dudes I am here to tell you...holy crap. I’m not exaggerating it literally changed my truck to a new one. So far I’m seeing at least 5 mpg better, insanely better throttle response, and so much more low end torque but most importantly, shifting as smooth as butter. I also tried a complete transmission flush at 30k miles (10k miles ago) and did notice a slightly smoother shift profile but still the same terrible mpg, throttle response, terrible kick down, and had the shudder. It’s been two weeks since the time so admittedly this could change, but literally the first drive after the time was Inputted, I was shocked. I drive 35 miles one way to work every day In northern va/WV through hills in misty no traffic and I was avwdageing 17.4 mpg. Granted I have a 3” lift, 30” tires, and I drive around 75mpg but that’s still pretty bad. Now I’m averaging 24mpg highway with the only difference being the tune. I know I sound like an ad haha but I can’t tell you enough how crazy the difference is. I honestly loved the look and utility of my truck but hated the performance. I drove any of my other four vehicles because this one aggravate so much and now it’s all I want to drive. I can’t believe GM just sucks that bad at tuning their vehicles. I was a skeptic since this isn’t forced induction and tunes generally don’t do much (did basically nothing on my naturally aspirated challenger) but in this instance, the transmission program must’ve just been that terrible. I definitely recommend this for the guys out there with similar issues with their transmission.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
So I had the infamous tranny shudder combined with sluggish acceleration and terrible gas mileage from my 2016 the week I bought it new to now three years and 40k miles later. I recently got the trifecta elite tune and dudes I am here to tell you...holy crap. I’m not exaggerating it literally changed my truck to a new one. So far I’m seeing at least 5 mpg better, insanely better throttle response, and so much more low end torque but most importantly, shifting as smooth as butter. I also tried a complete transmission flush at 30k miles (10k miles ago) and did notice a slightly smoother shift profile but still the same terrible mpg, throttle response, terrible kick down, and had the shudder. It’s been two weeks since the time so admittedly this could change, but literally the first drive after the time was Inputted, I was shocked. I drive 35 miles one way to work every day In northern va/WV through hills in misty no traffic and I was avwdageing 17.4 mpg. Granted I have a 3” lift, 30” tires, and I drive around 75mpg but that’s still pretty bad. Now I’m averaging 24mpg highway with the only difference being the tune. I know I sound like an ad haha but I can’t tell you enough how crazy the difference is. I honestly loved the look and utility of my truck but hated the performance. I drove any of my other four vehicles because this one aggravate so much and now it’s all I want to drive. I can’t believe GM just sucks that bad at tuning their vehicles. I was a skeptic since this isn’t forced induction and tunes generally don’t do much (did basically nothing on my naturally aspirated challenger) but in this instance, the transmission program must’ve just been that terrible. I definitely recommend this for the guys out there with similar issues with their transmission.
2 things, they are talkin' 2017 and up. Different problem. There is a GM fix for the 2015-16, it's an updated software program.

Curious if the MPG increase you see is just a change on the DIC, have you actually measured it? I really wonder if the DIC is accurate now after the tune.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It may be different I haven’t done the math but my tank is lasting longer. When I did the tune, it did ask me for modification, lift, tire size, etc so that it was as accurate as possible. I could do the math next time I fill up tho

And did you have the typical 6 speed "chuggle" at lower speeds OR the actual "Shudder" . .. which occurs usually at steady speeds under slight loads and at around 1,500 engine RPM?

The 6 speeds had low speed chuggle. .. the 8 speed 2017 and up have shudder at a steady speed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to chime in as a one of the few who have not had a resolution to this issue. I've had the TC replacement and a subsequent fluid flush and now visits where the dealership tries to ignore the issue (to the point of lying about what their techs have found). I've just started a claim with the BBB Auto Line in the hopes of a buyback. If I'm successful, I'll be getting the diesel (mated to the 6 speed).

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but they apparently can't *always* resolve this. Like you, I'm too darn busy for all these service visits plaguing me over the life of the truck (I'm at 24K miles and this started at 9-10K) even if they can fix the issues. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm crossing my fingers for a much smoother experience with the diesel and 6 speed (if I can get that far).

This really hasn't turned me off of the truck at all; I love it in every other way. I just thought you should hear all the experiences on this.

Greatly appreciate the heads up and very sorry to hear about on-going issue. I will truly be test driving some different vehicles to make a decision, as that decision won't be so easy.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Mine has done the hiccup stutter since new (2016). I've had all the updates (and a few others that I probably didn't need). I had my TC replaced last October (it was GREAT for about 3 months). It's a similar symptom now to before the TC was replaced. I have to bury my foot on the as to get it to move. Doesn't always do it.... and I've half-way convinced myself its **A GM thing** - I have NOT had the fluid flush. The last time I asked my Dealer about it, they weren't setup for it (in April).

We tow our 3,000lb boat every weekend in tow/haul mode - and it doesn't do it while towing. However - the next day, (not towing), it forgets how to shift.

I'm half-way convinced the programming is still to blame. If the fluid was to blame, I should have similar (or some sort of) issues while towing - but I haven't. I have 24k miles on my truck (2016 - 6 speed).

Life has been busy lately and I just haven't had the time or the motivation to chase this..... Again - I've convinced myself, it's a GM thing and/or programming. If the transmission dies or becomes a complete bastard to drive.....It'll either be covered under drivetrain warranty, or I'll be ready to get rid of it and get something new. :wink2:

·
Registered
172 Posts
As far as I know there is no confirmation one way or the other, on whether or not the fluid was changed at the factory. But for heavens sake...I can't come up with ANY good reason why they wouldn't switch the fluid (except for supply/demand and to get the customer's vehicles serviced first). If it were true, why GM would put out a TSB which basically says "hey this is the fix, stop replacing TCs, do this instead!" and then decide NOT to use the fluid at the factory sounds absolutely maddening to me. If GM themselves says the old fluid can build up too much moisture, they themselves should stop using it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
...I was avwdageing 17.4 mpg. Granted I have a 3” lift, 30” tires, and I drive around 75mpg but that’s still pretty bad. Now I’m averaging 24mpg highway with the only difference being the tune. ...
So was that 17.4 mpg versus the 24 mpg calculated by the drivers information center on your dash, or was that hand calculated?

If that was hand calculated (meaning its more of a reliable measurement) the I think you need to be concerned about your tune. Do yourself a favor and do another hand calculation over the next few fill ups and see if that number remains that high. If it is, I'd be freaked out.

None of these trucks with a raised stance and larger/heavier tires should be getting that kind of gas mileage. If your mpg REALLY did raise that much, then I'm afraid you are running lean. Possibly way lean, which will result in your engine life significantly shortening and likely blowing up pretty early. Your story reminds me of someone I talked to recently that had a truck and noticed his was always returning better fuel mileage then others were getting on the same kind of truck. Then he found out that his truck was running lean and it blew the engine at 70,000 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
KMPrengerMO
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing