Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2018 Colorado and sporadically upon start up, I get a weird clunk in the vicinity of the transmission. It doesnt do it all the time and I cannot say what makes it do it or now do it.

Of course, I have taken it in to the dealer twice and they cant find anything.

Has anyone had any kind of issues like that? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
It is the Cold Start up Hard Shift 1-2 2-1. Once your transmission fluid warms up it usually goes away.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,430 Posts
I read OP as saying that while in park and while starting truck OP hears a sound?

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Is your truck in 4A or 2H ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Brand new 2021 does it and was told it is normal, they couldn’t give me an exact point of what causes it. The closest I could tell is that on my vehicle it is either the rear diff or the tranny….pita to have someone start it after it sits for at least an hour and lay under the truck to see what happens….I gave up and consider it normal in my circumstance, after all it was new.
It is like the clunk during a slow sharp turn over a bump…..they tell me its normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brand new 2021 does it and was told it is normal, they couldn’t give me an exact point of what causes it. The closest I could tell is that on my vehicle it is either the rear diff or the tranny….pita to have someone start it after it sits for at least an hour and lay under the truck to see what happens….I gave up and consider it normal in my circumstance, after all it was new.
It is like the clunk during a slow sharp turn over a bump…..they tell me its normal.
Ugh. The "it's normal" is not normal. This doesn't happen to most other vehicles. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
sounds like the torque converter is draining down as others have noted on here. Start it up and fluid goes back into the torque converter while still in park and causing the clunk...

·
Registered
162 Posts
If it’s safe and too expensive to remedy….i guess it’s normal. Probably too much a fight to get the contractor who machined the parts for the contractor who made that part for another part for the contractor who supplys GM the trannys.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Ugh. The "it's normal" is not normal. This doesn't happen to most other vehicles. Thank you.
Part of the problem is you were not very good at describing what was happening. People were assuming other scenarios.

If it's happening before you switch out of park I suspect it's not transmission or drivetrain related, but no guesses.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts