Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This past weekend I took my 2016 LT (gas V6) for a ride through the mountains of West Virginia. On some of the long downhill glides (5-6% decline for a couple of miles) the transmission seemed to have a mind of its own. It would shift into a low gear, RPMs would jump to 5,000 or so and the engine and transmission sounded like they were going to explode. The transmission wouldn't up-shift, and the only solution I found was to put it into neutral until we hit the bottom of the slope. If I went from neutral back into drive, the transmission was still in a low gear.

I didn't play with the manual option as I had never used it before and figured this wasn't a good time to try to learn it.

Has anyone seen a similar behavior before? Is this normal? If not, any fixes? I'm not sure how to explain this to the dealer in such a way that they won't just say "no codes, all is good." Should I just use the manual mode when on a long downgrade?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I haven't reread my manual in years, but I seem to remember an engine braking feature to our trucks. Not many real hills in our city, but I do know what you are talking about.

Reactions: imref

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Only ways I know to disengage -Apply light throttle, shift to manual, hold tow/haul button for about 3-5 seconds

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't reread my manual in years, but I seem to remember an engine braking feature to our trucks. Not many real hills in our city, but I do know what you are talking about.
I should have searched more thoroughly. You are correct, it’s a feature:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Short Box LT
251 Posts
I use L gears on steep grades and when mountain roads are slick to prevent unwanted shifting. Mostly a result of driving a manual transmission most of my adult life.

I have not downshifted into L over 70 mph. At 70 L6 seems to have two gears. When climbing in L6 I'll notice a change in power and RPM's when the grade changes.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Hi All,
This past weekend I took my 2016 LT (gas V6) for a ride through the mountains of West Virginia. On some of the long downhill glides (5-6% decline for a couple of miles) the transmission seemed to have a mind of its own. It would shift into a low gear, RPMs would jump to 5,000 or so and the engine and transmission sounded like they were going to explode. The transmission wouldn't up-shift, and the only solution I found was to put it into neutral until we hit the bottom of the slope. If I went from neutral back into drive, the transmission was still in a low gear.

I didn't play with the manual option as I had never used it before and figured this wasn't a good time to try to learn it.

Has anyone seen a similar behavior before? Is this normal? If not, any fixes? I'm not sure how to explain this to the dealer in such a way that they won't just say "no codes, all is good." Should I just use the manual mode when on a long downgrade?
My 2016 V6 has never done this, with or without a trailer behind it. It will seem to hold a gear but not a gear at 5000 RPM! Strange I think. I've gone down the Grapevine in Ca many times and I believe it's right at 6%.
All that I can think of is you need to slow down.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
My 2016 V6 has never done this, with or without a trailer behind it. It will seem to hold a gear but not a gear at 5000 RPM! Strange I think. I've gone down the Grapevine in Ca many times and I believe it's right at 6%.
My 2018 V6 has gone as high as 5,000 RPM with the Grade Braking (at 11,000 lbs GVW down a long grade in Colorado at maybe 65 mph). Surprised, but even at closed throttle sustained 5,000 rpm is not going to hurt this engine.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I should have searched more thoroughly. You are correct, it’s a feature:
Just don't tell my wife... to her, I'm always wrong with no memory... :)
We have one good inclined road here, and I know I can just stay of the gas and the truck will just cruise down without gaining any speed, never paid attention to my rpm though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts