Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joining the many that have issues with the 4x4 selector switch being right next to the headlight control. It had to be relocated. I am thankful for the off-road screen on the ZR2, but it would make me happier to have it right next the floor shifter and the locker switches. So for the past couple of days, I have been working on rough mock up with some abs plastics sheets. Started of making a plug and play harness extension so that I could always go back to stock if needed. Next was ripping apart the console, and molding and cutting the abs to contour the cubby hole area. Order replacement knee bolsters in 4WD & 2WD to experiment and cover the stock hole when its all completed. Sure wish I had the 3D model of the console area to help with the design process.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wish I hadn't lost my motivation since my husband died, because I totally could do this to my truck. Good luck to you sir, with your project.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I hadn't lost my motivation since my husband died, because I totally could do this to my truck. Good luck to you sir, with your project.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope we can all be a bit of motivation for you. If projects was something you and your husband shared. You could try something small in memory of him. I wish you the best in life and I am sure of that your husband would have too!! Keep the good memories strong and close to your heart!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thats a hell of a good idea man. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Thanks! The next step now is to get some clay to fill in the gaps and mold it for a cleaner OEM look, and hopefully I can cast it into a solid piece.

Reactions: JBT

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Joining the many that have issues with the 4x4 selector switch being right next to the headlight control. It had to be relocated. I am thankful for the off-road screen on the ZR2, but it would make me happier to have it right next the floor shifter and the locker switches. So for the past couple of days, I have been working on rough mock up with some abs plastics sheets. Started of making a plug and play harness extension so that I could always go back to stock if needed. Next was ripping apart the console, and molding and cutting the abs to contour the cubby hole area. Order replacement knee bolsters in 4WD & 2WD to experiment and cover the stock hole when its all completed. Sure wish I had the 3D model of the console area to help with the design process.
I'd be interested in the harness. I want to combine the switch relocation with the 4X4 LED indicator diode setup @Warpster made.

I didn't even think of the 2WD panels, that's smart. Can't wait to see how your final iteration turns out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be interested in the harness. I want to combine the switch relocation with the 4X4 LED indicator diode setup @Warpster made.

I didn't even think of the 2WD panels, that's smart. Can't wait to see how your final iteration turns out.
I have a few of the factory style connectors left. I can definitely have one made up for your needs.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in, for sure.

There is also the metal Troy Products Insert mount that fills that hole entirely, if you don't want to fight with ABS on the curves (that's gotta be crazy tough without a CAD file):

SP-CHCO-4 Colorado 4? Insert Mount | Troy Products

I saw this when doing some searches for switch placement. Wish it didnt cover my little cubby hole :grin2: and my heated seat buttons.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a few of the factory style connectors left. I can definitely have one made up for your needs.
Where'd you get them? I'd be willing to take a couple connectors off your hands and would be willing to help with some CAD files (I'm a mechanical engineer, very familiar with SolidWorks).
I was thinking either there, or behind the shifter, by the armrest console. It just makes more sense near the shifter, not where it is now.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I like I like.

But what about the gaping hole in your dash where the 4x4 dial used to be?
towards the end of the OP:
[snip]... Order replacement knee bolsters in 4WD & 2WD to experiment and cover the stock hole when its all completed. Sure wish I had the 3D model of the console area to help with the design process.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like I like.

But what about the gaping hole in your dash where the 4x4 dial used to be?
You could always go onto GM Parts Direct (or a similar site) and get the "knee bolster" trim piece for a 2WD vehicle to eliminate the "gaping hole" similar to that shown below:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...jb2xvcmFkbyZ5PTIwMTYmdD13dCZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz

They are quoting a price of $26 plus some change, so that would be a reasonable investment to eliminate the ugliness.

Reactions: maxwell_hau5_caffy

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where'd you get them? I'd be willing to take a couple connectors off your hands and would be willing to help with some CAD files (I'm a mechanical engineer, very familiar with SolidWorks).
I was thinking either there, or behind the shifter, by the armrest console. It just makes more sense near the shifter, not where it is now.
I was able to get them through mouser/digikey. I may have to take you up on that offer. My original goal was to try and make a kit but it may prove too much work in the end and could just be a one off. Will be trying get some more work on it this weekend and still waiting on the replacement bolster to try the other ideas i had.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On another note. In the few days of driving this week with the switch in the relocated position. I can't emphasize enough how convenient and within reach the knob is. Having rest my wrist on the shifter at times Its easy to switch to any mode without second guessing or thinking I grabbed the headlight knob. Im even more eager to press the offroad mode button.

Reactions: ajnord59

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So I thought about ordering the 2WD bolster, but now I'm thinking that my aux lighting switch panel (Feniex 4200mini) would work there covering the hole, similar to @goleee33's switch setup, but lower:

That way the lighting switches are all in one place, and the trans/transfer case are all in one place, the way it should be, like this Ford:

·
Registered
46 Posts
do you have the part numbers for the connector ends for the harness?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ditto, need part numbers if you can locate them. Connectors and pins. I assume you bought another control unit to make up the male end. Or I am open to maybe sourcing from someone as a kit, if you have the buy the things in quantity. I are a retired electrocution and can't wait to relocate mine... somewhere...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.