Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z 71 CC 5' bed midnight black
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
We got our 2018 Colorado Z 71 with 42k mi a year ago. We don't drive it too much so we only have put 2k miles on it since then. A couple of months ago she got the terrible shudder. It was really bad in 2WD. I learned how to drive around it, put it in 4WD Auto, tow mode on and then am either all in or back off the gas, keep the RPM over 1500. She got her regular maintenance last month plus the trans flushed and new fluid. They said drive 500mi and let them know how it is.
Well 250 miles in and it drives like a champ. No shudder no matter what I do. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We were happy with the dealer, Jim Price Charlottesville VA. The service writer wrote down everything I did to drive around the shudder, she told me "we wish we had more customers like you who took the time to work on the problem"
Time will tell...

Allan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
We got our 2018 Colorado Z 71 with 42k mi a year ago. We don't drive it too much so we only have put 2k miles on it since then. A couple of months ago she got the terrible shudder. It was really bad in 2WD. I learned how to drive around it, put it in 4WD Auto, tow mode on and then am either all in or back off the gas, keep the RPM over 1500. She got her regular maintenance last month plus the trans flushed and new fluid. They said drive 500mi and let them know how it is.
Well 250 miles in and it drives like a champ. No shudder no matter what I do. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We were happy with the dealer, Jim Price Charlottesville VA. The service writer wrote down everything I did to drive around the shudder, she told me "we wish we had more customers like you who took the time to work on the problem"
Time will tell...

Allan
Same thing. Bought mine new. 8k miles had it. Said it was the wrong fluid from the factory. Went away until now at 32k just returned. Got to get it in before warranty expires. Does anyone know is there an actual fix?

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
that shutter is a well known issuse with the 8-speeds. it requires a new fluid, and if thaty doesnt help, its a new torque converter... i dont have a link to the million threads about this, but its very well known here, so someone will help ya better than i can

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,804 Posts
If you ever got the shudders, some damage was done. I would consider adding some Lubeguard Shudder Fix for some added protection.
It is possible that the ATF wasn't ever the issue as these 8L45s can run on Dexron6.

Reactions: WilliamWallace

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,894 Posts
If you ever got the shudders, some damage was done. I would consider adding some Lubeguard Shudder Fix for some added protection.
It is possible that the ATF wasn't ever the issue as these 8L45s can run on Dexron6.
Shudder Fixx is simply a friction modifier and not even Lubegard claims it will protect anything... all it will do is help clutches to engage better, specifically the TCC.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,804 Posts
Yes, its a FM. The source of abrasion doesn't go away but we can give it more lube.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
738 Posts
Yah I had my 17 zr2 fluid swap done at 18k and then it just got done again at 45l because there is a lot of slipping happening in a surging/jolting fashion through the gears. They said to do the 500mile thing which after this time the symptoms have been enhanced. Definitely had damage done prior. And for those wondering, yes it had issues between those mileage points but was hard to duplicate for the dealer till recently. In my case the symptoms got worse when I went into higher elevations that what's around my local area. It goes back to the dealer for more service this coming Wednesday. Tear down per GM technical transmission service at corporate. They took a fluid sample at the time of the second flush as well to help determine failing components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts