Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my '19 ZR2 with the minimax, after reading some posts on here about how it might be a good idea to initially change the trans fluid early on, I think I might have the dealer change it soon. I currently have just over 26k on the truck. This dealer is really good at letting me supply the parts and fluids and they will use them, so I ordered an AC delco trans filter. I can get 1 gallon jugs of the AC Delco full synthetic Dex VI for like $1 more than the non-synthetic stuff. But first off, will 2 gallons be enough? And also, will the dealerships put in the synthetic fluid since it's the actual AC Delco Dex VI stuff?? I will also have them go ahead and change the rear diff fluid in case it's the factory fill. I read too many horror stories on here of how dirty the factory fluid was at low miles.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
You will be better off with the full synthetic, smoother shifting. With the 6 speed, the most I have seen anyone get with a pan drop was 7 1/2 quarts. You should be fine with 2 gallons.

Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,848 Posts
Just had mine done at a transmission shop , full flush and fill was 12 qts. Put in Mobil ! Blue Label
I believe the diesels are 6 speeds?
Dexron VI.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Reactions: DYLDTS

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 for the Mobil 1 blue label. In the spring we were towing our camper (about 6500lbs loaded) through the mountains, and on the way home, I noticed a shudder in the trans when it shifted. I took it in to the local Chevy dealer, and they suggested the Mobil one instead of the standard. We just got back from another camping trip, and there was no shudder at all. Trans fluid temp reached 208, and all was well.

The service manager told me that the mobil 1 holds up to higher temps much better than the standard, and that probably the old ATF was breaking down and allowing slipping under the load of towing.

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
1,043 Posts
+1 for the Mobil 1 blue label. In the spring we were towing our camper (about 6500lbs loaded) through the mountains, and on the way home, I noticed a shudder in the trans when it shifted. I took it in to the local Chevy dealer, and they suggested the Mobil one instead of the standard. We just got back from another camping trip, and there was no shudder at all. Trans fluid temp reached 208, and all was well.

The service manager told me that the mobil 1 holds up to higher temps much better than the standard, and that probably the old ATF was breaking down and allowing slipping under the load of towing.
Do you know what temps you get without towing?

I've got amsoil in mine and I'm not seeing anything close to what you all are posting.

·
Registered
2016 GMC Colorado 2.8 Duramax diesel
31 Posts

I've got amsoil in mine and I'm not seeing anything close to what you all are posting.
I believe the transmission in the diesels run hotter than the gassers.

I hit 221 last week pulling my camping trailer up a pretty steep grade for 10 miles & it was 110 outside, it dropped to 204 when we got to the top & if flattened out.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Reactions: Iamscotticus

·
Registered
6,698 Posts

You're in the diesel section. Your V6 has a different transmission cooler. Your temps don't apply to us.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NutzaQ

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,848 Posts
I am often, "more than helpful "🤐

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I believe the transmission in the diesels run hotter than the gassers.

I hit 221 last week pulling my camping trailer up a pretty steep grade for 10 miles & it was 110 outside, it dropped to 204 when we got to the top & if flattened out.
Those temps are normal for a stock diesel while towing. The V6 has an OEM external trans cooler, while the diesel, which is more suited to heavier towing, has it's trans plugged into the bottom of the radiator, a lame and "carlike" situation. Not including an external separate trans cooler is a truly stupid penny pinching design decision on GM's part. Installing an aftermarket separate trans cooler is pretty much mandatory for diesel trucks that see lots of towing.

Reactions: Jordan12

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado Zr2 Duramax
61 Posts
Amsoil - I never had an issue just preventive maintenance. Bought the truck with 38k and did a full flush and welded in a proper drain plug. Now have 80k and she stays cool, never seen 180+ on the Banks. I don't tow much and live in Michigan so even on a hot summer day towing 3k lbs it was running 175 ish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts