Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I'm pretty sure it's the 36" tube, #TD-36L80. Dropped 5% today, sometimes I think prices change depending on views and buys.
Read the item description, it states the firewall mount dipstick is 24”.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you can shorten the 36" tube to whatever length you want, IF IT ISN'T CRIMPED. If you know how to assemble screw together type AN hose ends. Looks like a "bulkhead fitting" type hose end on braided stainless steel tubing. Be careful as the fittings are aluminum. The nut unscrews from the bracket. The next nut unscrews out from the hose. This has an extension than goes into the tube. The last nut uscrews from the hose. The difficult part is cleanly cutting the braided hose. Tightly tape the area to be cut to minimize unraveling while being cut. I use an inexpensive "diamond" wheel in a drill on low speed. It doesn't have teeth to grab the braid. Go slow and cut around the tubing then thru it. Clean away any dust/debris. Re-assemble in reverse order. Carefully remove tape to avoid fraying the braid. Screw nut onto the hose until it bottoms out. You may have to work the braid into the fiting. Then the the next pc with the extension. The bracket and last nut. Done. Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 · (Edited)
They specifically say NOT to unscrew the housing end caps, so I would NOT attempt. Do that mod at your own risk. Wonder how much metal/abrasive grit gets in the inside of the housing when cutting. NOT good for a transmission. At my age, when a manufacturer tells me not to modify, I accept their disclaimer and not take the risk.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
This mod with the PML deep trans pan (which includes a drain plug) and we could be right back to the good old days of transmission fluid inspection and servicing. Aside from checking the level, the beauty of having a dipstick is it is easy to take a "sample" of the fluid to see what color/condition it is in. It will cost ya about $400 total though, to have what GM should have simply given us.

I am probably gonna do both mods with my upcoming fluid change :cool:

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
An alternate dipstick part number that can be used instead of the Lokar is B&M #22173. Not sure if it’s cheaper, but that is an alternate solution. You choose.
Just received my PML Deep Pan yesterday, will be a couple of months before I get around to installing it. Very nice quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ordered mine today. with 80K on my 2.8 diesel its over due for the change. Ill be using Mobile 1 LV fluid. oh by the way my tuned 2.8 gets 30 MPG average. has a ton of git up and go and tows my 35HP kubota with bush hog on a two axle steel car trailer EASY. I love this little truck I havent driven the LLY dually other than just getting it out and moving it around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Guys,

I installed the Lukor XTD-36L80 FM36 black model dipstick today. I only mounted it with one 10MM but where the coolant resevoir mounting but it’s. Actually fits nice just below the hood and vertical for easy filling later instead of at an angle. I still need to make a cool bracket like you did down at the transmission. In the mean-time insecurely zip tied it in a bunch of places....

I had a question...You had mentioned having to scribe your dipstick... Can you take a picture of that? Only curious cause I recently had GM flush my transmission and when using the dipstick it does infact read around the full make or slightly higher at 90 degrees.

Being GM flushed it, I would hope the level is accurate however I didn’t double check. I’ve been running it for weeks since they did the flush. So I was curious if your scribe mark was lower than the full mark or higher?

Just trying to get a ball park on the level of this 6L50 because my next thing is a deeper pan. I ran a deep sump pan on my 05’ 2500HD and it ran a lot cooler and the transmission has never failed. Meanwhile my dad went through a ton of them old 700R4 and the 4L60E...

Just trying to be precautious and get the best from it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Hey Guys,

I installed the Lukor XTD-36L80 FM36 black model dipstick today. I only mounted it with one 10MM but where the coolant resevoir mounting but it’s. Actually fits nice just below the hood and vertical for easy filling later instead of at an angle. I still need to make a cool bracket like you did down at the transmission. In the mean-time insecurely zip tied it in a bunch of places....

I had a question...You had mentioned having to scribe your dipstick... Can you take a picture of that? Only curious cause I recently had GM flush my transmission and when using the dipstick it does infact read around the full make or slightly higher at 90 degrees.

Being GM flushed it, I would hope the level is accurate however I didn’t double check. I’ve been running it for weeks since they did the flush. So I was curious if your scribe mark was lower than the full mark or higher?

Just trying to get a ball park on the level of this 6L50 because my next thing is a deeper pan. I ran a deep sump pan on my 05’ 2500HD and it ran a lot cooler and the transmission has never failed. Meanwhile my dad went through a ton of them old 700R4 and the 4L60E...

Just trying to be precautious and get the best from it. Thanks for the help.
Back on page 2 post #38 he says the Lokar stock mark is good.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
thanks @White016 i skipped that part I guess... here is a picture of where I mounted it until I get a bracket made. I kinda like where it is.It doesn’t hit the hood or anything... just a picture if someone wants a different option View attachment 398205
That's looks better, only thing is it will not move with the engine that way. I guess it is VERY flexible so it won't matter?
Did you find it is marked correctly also?

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just installed the Lokar dipstick this week-end. Not a bad install, and it works like a charm. I did fab a bracket that looks a bit different from the ones I've seen here. Pics of it follow, unpainted ones are staging and tweaking. I painted it black when I was certain it would fit and work properly. It's not a pure 90 degree angle, more like 110 to relieve a bit of tension in the cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I just installed the Lokar dipstick this week-end. Not a bad install, and it works like a charm. I did fab a bracket that looks a bit different from the ones I've seen here. Pics of it follow, unpainted ones are staging and tweaking. I painted it black when I was certain it would fit and work properly. It's not a pure 90 degree angle, more like 110 to relieve a bit of tension in the cable.
Nice! One question, is the dipstick level reading correct right out of the box?

Oh wait, two questions, is it possible to fill it through that little cable/tube?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone that has ever dealt with Lokar dipsticks knows they are a bitch to fill from and aren't very good. I had one on my '02 Camaro Z28 after i did the 4L80e swap and i had to get rid of it after a couple years. Went with a madman custom built one. I'd be curious about him being able to make one for these trucks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks real good. To add more fluid or to fill after a change, is the plan to unscrew the bracket so the tube is vertical? I know the Lokar fill adapter is O-ringed but they can still leak and filling is a very slow process.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Lokar kit comes with a handy fill adapter tube. Just remove the dipstick, insert the tube (with your favorite funnel) and fill away. Of course, I angled the fill tube upwards and filled from the funnel at about 45 degrees without a problem. No removing brackets or anything of that nature, otherwise I would not have wasted my time. It took me 5 minutes to add 3 quarts of new fluid. No runs, no leaks, no errors.

And yes, the dipstick level was spot on out of the package. I checked it and took pics before I drained the fluid on level floor, cold tranny (insert non-PC joke here).

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
The Lokar kit comes with a handy fill adapter tube. Just remove the dipstick, insert the tube (with your favorite funnel) and fill away. Of course, I angled the fill tube upwards and filled from the funnel at about 45 degrees without a problem. No removing brackets or anything of that nature, otherwise I would not have wasted my time. It took me 5 minutes to add 3 quarts of new fluid. No runs, no leaks, no errors.

And yes, the dipstick level was spot on out of the package. I checked it and took pics before I drained the fluid on level floor, cold tranny (insert non-PC joke here).
View attachment 399108
just to be clear, it was at the cold mark with the engine running and your tranny cold?

·
Registered
98 Posts
141 - 160 of 162 Posts