Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Mike; I installed an after market transmission cooler in series with the stock one inside the rad. Doing it this way keeps your power train warrenty in place.

Your cooler kit might come with enough clamps & couplers for the job. check before starting. You will need 6 clamps & 2 male/male couplers. Get the couplers with plastic stops in the middle of the coupler. This prevents the coupler being off centre in the 2 hoses.

First remove the grill and mount your cooler on the right side ( passenger side) in front of the a/c condensor. This will take the most time as only the OEM cooler ( which is to small anyhow) drops in to the existing mount tabs that are there. Lots of try , remove & install here until you get it right.
I had to make 3 custom mounts and bend the horn bracket so it cleared
the cooler & the grill.

After you have mounted the cooler now attach the hoses to your cooler. feed them down to the existing cooler line. The line with the rubber section.

You will be cutting the rubber flex line ( transmission fluid out line HOT) and splicing in your new cooler. You will need two double male couplers .

I cut the rubber line in the middle so there is room to trim it if needed. Very little fluid if any runs out of the line when cut. I removed the end that goes into the rad for convenience of installation.

I can't remember the size of the couplers off hand but I will look it up for you. I installed my last year so it is not to fresh in my mind.

If you have any questions let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts