Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the next purchase for the truck will be a set of train horns. Driving around Atlanta, I've found that I would have a use for them every single day. I won't be like others and simply say I'm going to put them in, I'm definitely going to as soon as I get some money (soon). So now I have to figure out where I want them. I was thinking I'd have enough room between the grille and the radiator based on the measurements. Do y'all think that that would restrict the airflow and cause the truck to run at a higher temperature? I also figured that having them pointing down will keep water and such from getting in the horn and since they're at the front of the truck, it will provide maximum "OH $#&%" reactions from whomever I'm honking at. Here's the link to the horn system I'm eying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOUD-Dua ... enameZWDVW

·
Registered
557 Posts
i want to do the same thing with the same placement, two on the left and two on the right of the center bar

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey im new on here but i bought a set off of hornblasters.com its the 4 blk horn kit and i have mine mounted exactly where ur talking about and the truck runs fine ive had them since november n had no probs w/ the temp and yes they will scare tha sh#$ outa ppl being n the front go ahead and do it ull love em

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blk07radoz71 said:
hey im new on here but i bought a set off of hornblasters.com its the 4 blk horn kit and i have mine mounted exactly where ur talking about and the truck runs fine ive had them since november n had no probs w/ the temp and yes they will scare tha sh#$ outa ppl being n the front go ahead and do it ull love em
Would you mind posting some pictures of your set up of the horns in the grille? Also a picture or two of where you mounted the tank and compressor and how you ran the wiring? I'd appreciate it a lot. I'll PM you and check your profile too. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw some pics dont know where but someone installed them under the bed of the truck facing backwards. Looked pretty cool.

nick

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, that was kerad. he has a lowered yellow truck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Man I'm laughing just thinking of it! And with me an used to driving 18wheelers, I have a uge to scare some sense into dummies!. If I eventually put horns on my truck, well let's just say it's gonna be my "little big truck."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got them on my S10 and, sadly, other drivers don't usually suspect the horns are coming from me. On the other hand, if you blow them at random people walking on the side of the road...they run for their lives and the flip you off when they realize they're ok. It's great.

I have mine mounted under the bed. But the truck's bagged and the bed is cut out for the notch so the horns point out of the hole.

I'm getting ready to sell the S10 and buy a Colorado...I'll save the horns for the new truck. I definitely want to try them behind the grille next time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think most people mount them under the bed because of the room. You can put the compressor, tank, and horns in close proximity. There is a chevy 4500 or 5500, I am not sure wich model, the big rig looking truck. He has three foot long horns under the bed. He comes to the hotel and you can hear the horns on the 22nd floor.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I had to place mine in the bed.

They're too darn big.

(The install has been cleaned up since the pictures. I just threw it together at the time to hear 'em.)

I've got a 3 gallon tank and Viair 380C compressor underneath the truck.

All the wiring was ran along the frame rail and up into the engine bay.

The compressor only triggers on when the truck is on (and obviously when the pressure is below that of the pressure switch).

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
i had a 135DB air horn on my tiburon and that was pretty loud it fit between the radiator and the bumper so it should fit in the colorado with no problems..and there appose to face downwards so no water etc gets into the horn

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
i want to see someone go and buy 14 inch Hadley truck air horns and mount them on top like a semi

·
Registered
280 Posts
wow, you guys really have some intense horn setups...

for me, i wanted to remain a little practical and not scared of using my horn without giving people heart attacks.

I installed the stebel nautilus over the weekend and I'm really pleased with the sound... also it mounts on the stock bracket (had to bore the hole a little bigger though).. and requires a relay circuit as well. all included, except the wiring.

not a bad price either, you can check them out on ebay, and listen to the different sounds that stebel offers on their website.

keep in mind (i was wondering about this before i installed it, but it's not a big deal (after market alarm in the works))... that the horn notification for locking the doors won't work any more with pretty much any air horn.

edit: ill get a picture for you guys in the next day or so... I still have my grille removed so i'll snap a few

1 - 20 of 32 Posts