Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Colorado w/ tow package. I asked the dealer if it is set up for elec trailer brakes,
they are not sure!! How do I find out!

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Did you buy new? If so, if you didn't add, then the answer is no. Did not come from factory with brake controller.

Does truck have the 4/7 pin connector on the rear bumper? (Maybe I should ask, does the label in glove box have an option of Z82 listed for factory tow package?)

Read the instructions I attached in this thread on post 5 to see how to install a brake controller - should allow you to determine if you have a brake controller.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Look for the OEM brake controller on the left side of the dash. It's also possible an aftermarket unit was installed, but if it does have the trailer package it should have the brake controller.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Look for the OEM brake controller on the left side of the dash. It's also possible an aftermarket unit was installed, but if it does have the trailer package it should have the brake controller.
In 2015, the OEM integrated brake controller was not available at all. Did not come out till 2016, and then only was available (standard) on diesel as I remember. Available on V6 in 2017, but as an option, was not standard on the tow package. You can order the tow package on the V6 without the brake controller, but if you order the brake controller, you automatically get the tow package.

Are there trailer setups where you need the 7 pin connector, but do not need the controller, such as trailer with surge brakes? I guess I tend to assume if no electrically operated trailer brakes, you only need a 4 wire setup.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I have a 2015 Colorado w/ tow package. I asked the dealer if it is set up for elec trailer brakes,
they are not sure!! How do I find out!
If you were on the phone asking the dealer, I can see reasoning behind their answer. If you were at the dealer, they should be slapped for being too lazy to look. Some dealers just have ZERO understanding of customer service.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If your tow package is factory installed, (Z82 option), which should include a 7 blade connector, you may have a wire under the drivers side of the dash that leads to the electric brake position in the 7 blade connector. GM used to include a harness stored in the glove box that could be plugged into a junction box on the inside of the firewall. You then bought an after market controller and tied the controller harness to the factory included harness. The factory harness was also available from many of the controller suppliers.
If none of the above exists on the early 2nd generation twins, it''s a relatively easy job to wire an after market controller to your truck. You only have to run 1wire to the rear and tie it into the 7 blade connector. Power can be found under the dash or hood. Controller instructions should specify fuse and wire gauge requirements.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just ran across this, may help:

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Just ran across this, may help:
The pdf I attached in the above link has the details from your link. For some reason the link was destroyed but I had downloaded it in 2015 when I was installing my controller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts