Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help point me in the right direction on Amazon or Etrailer toward a hitch/ball that provides the proper drop for our trucks? Potential use would be pulling flat bed or perhaps eventually a light travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
There is no one stop hitch for this, well, sort of. An adjustable hitch will give you allot of adjustment. Weight, deck level, tire size, etc, will all vary. You can find one hitch to suit if you have one trailer, but I have 4 that have different deck heights and tire sizes. This is my all around hitch that my son found laying in the road. It's got two ball sizes, but other are available. If you wind up with a travel trailer, you may wind up with a weight distribution hitch that only works with that trailer. I have to use my Distribution hitch with my travel trailer. None of my 10 hitches will work with it as they cannot "Distribute" the tongue weight. Rapid Hitch Adjustable Aluminum Ball Mount Kit - 2 Zinc Balls - 5-1/2" Drop, 6-1/2" Rise A

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
There really is no one size fits all, it depends on the trailer and tongue weight that you are towing.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
As others have mentioned, there is no one size fits all, but that's largely because the height of the trailer matters. The trailer should be as level as possible once hooked up, so that may mean a different hitch height.

If you don't need a weight distributing hitch there are a lot of options. Ones that can be mounted up or down typically provide a lot of flexibility, but even they vary. This Andersen Hitch video (a very good WDH) shows in the middle how their four inch and eight in drops don't have the same area in the middle if you flip them over.

This is the WDH I currently have while I envy those with an Andersen hitch. It is much more reasonably priced, but my two complaints are the grease needed and the absurd amount of torque for setup (something like 280 ft lbs). If you wanted to use that on different trailers changing height would be a huge PITA. But it works just fine, either with or without the WD bars attached.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
measure the flat trailer you plan on pulling and go to any Farm supply store and pick one up with the correct drop
Farm & Home
Rural King
Orchelans
MFA

if you want a good adjustable hitch, any of these will work

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently purchased an Andersen ball mount. The hitch is the part that attaches to the vehicle.

The very first thing I considered was the max towing capacity of the truck and matched my choice with that as closely as I could. 3406 Rapid Hitch Greaseless
It wouldn't make much sense to buy a ball mount capable of towing 10k+ lbs and your truck maxes out at 7.5k lbs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently purchased an Andersen ball mount. The hitch is the part that attaches to the vehicle.

The very first thing I considered was the max towing capacity of the truck and matched my choice with that as closely as I could. 3406 Rapid Hitch Greaseless
It wouldn't make much sense to buy a ball mount capable of towing 10k+ lbs and your truck maxes out at 7.5k lbs.
That's a good looking hitch. I need the Rise and not the Drop of 5" to make my off-road trailer level. Now I know what to purchase. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
That's a good looking hitch. I need the Rise and not the Drop of 5" to make my off-road trailer level. Now I know what to purchase. Thanks!!
if yu look in the link I posted that hitch is 30 dollars cheaper then Calico's link...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
You need to know the ball size you need first. Many trailers are 2 5/16th.

I wonder how they make that greaseless? Their product I was mentioning is a WDH system, where the ball rotates as the trailer turns. This is seemingly something different.

·
Registered
169 Posts
One size fits all, this is what I use, it will drop and raise and fit just about everything I towed and was able to level. You could even flip it around to provide more height adjustability.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
I use a 2 inch drop. It's worked on everything from a Suburban, Dodge Ram, Ford F150 to a Colorado and pulling everything from utility trailers to campers and car haulers. It's good, all round drop.
Same here. It has been fine for my boat and utility trailer over years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts