Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Observations of today.

-The ranger includes a spare tire lock.

-The spare doesn't get a matching wheel like the ZR2. Tire matches though.

-The ranger transmission has a drive and sport setting in comparison to the zr2 drive and manual options. On the ranger, you can manually limit the top gear in drive where in the zr2 you have to move the shifter to manual to limit top gear.

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Google "ford ranger augmented engine noise."

The first article claims it does, and that it's adjustable, but also it's apparently a bit of controversy whether it does. There are also forum links in that search result.
Thanks, I'll check that out. Didn't see a setting for it in the system setup menus when I was setting all my defaults but could have missed it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Observations of the day:

-The General ATX tires are LT load range C rated and spec 39psi cold pressure.

-You can see what gear the transmission is in on the guage cluster which is kinda cool.

-It has a power tailgate lock and it isn't currently working. Was working before the line x dealer did the bed liner though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,981 Posts
You can see what gear the transmission is in on the guage cluster which is kinda cool
That is a pretty cool thing to have.. I like that

Reactions: JasonZR2

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Knock it off, all of you.....

Reactions: Vinolush

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
He is. Check their previous posts, they have a habit of randomly trying to insult people.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I see what you mean

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jaguar and Rolls Royce both used the THM 400 for many years. We had a 6L80e trans in our Camaro SS and had no problems with it. The 4L80e seems to be pretty good also. I am going to put one in my 1976 Firebird.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Observations of the day:

-Did my first fill up today in the ranger and got 19.64 mpg manually calculated and the trip meter said 20.2 mpg. In comparison the ZR2 gasser was giving me around 16-17mpg on average in similar driving scenarios. Approximate 75% city 25% highway mix.

-I'm really appreciating the torque curve of this Ranger engine. It reminds me a lot of the last diesel Colorado I test drove and how it delivered the torque at lower rpms.

I did some research and found some links to specs on the diesel and gas GM engines along with a link to the various Ford 2.3 configurations. If you like looking at specs, I included links below.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Knock it off, all of you.....
Glad it says that it is now edited by the moderator.... Not like I posted anything wrong....

Thank you moderator for dealing with the guy that was an issue... But my post was directed question to his post that been since deleted... And now looks so out of place

Reactions: JasonZR2

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Observations of the day:

-It thought the LT rated tires set to 39psi might be too much for the ranger, but with the fox shocks, it is cushy smooth. Maybe the fox shocks are just that good? I need to chaulk test the tire contact patch though here in the coming days verify inflation needs.

- 1st to second gear shift is a bit slow when loafing around, but it is a huge ratio jump as well. The twins for 2023 should see same gear ratios.
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Parallel

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

-I really think the ZR2 would have been better served with 3.73 or 4.10 axle gears from the factory. The ease of which the ranger loafs along at 1500 rpm with the 265/70/17 tires and 3.73 axle gears is mind blowing.

-I really believe that folks will be pleased with the next generation twins with the 2.7 litre turbo engine once they drive one. GM will need to offer up that 3.73 or 4.10 gear option though to make it work in my opinion.

I'm going to experiment after this second tank with running some 93 octane in it. The rated output of the engine is advertised with 87 octane and Ford makes no claims on use of 91 or 93. 5 star tuning independently dynoed a stock ranger with 93 octane and saw impressive gains with the stock tune. Whether those gains are noticable on a mundane daily commute is yet to be known.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Do the Fox shocks and higher tire PSI reduce the floaty sense or eliminate it? How does it feel in a turn? I like how little sway there is on the ZR2, curious if the Tremor w/Fox has that?

Agree 100% regarding the gearing the ZR2 should have had - IMO, Diesel should have been 3:73 and gas should have been 4:10 (different gearing mainly due to different transmissions)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Do the Fox shocks and higher tire PSI reduce the floaty sense or eliminate it? How does it feel in a turn? I like how little sway there is on the ZR2, curious if the Tremor w/Fox has that?

Agree 100% regarding the gearing the ZR2 should have had - IMO, Diesel should have been 3:73 and gas should have been 4:10 (different gearing mainly due to different transmissions)
As far as sway and curves go, I'd say the zr2 and tremor are almost equal in seat of pants feel. As far as compliance over bumps, the best example I have is a pavement to concrete expansion joint entrance to a parking lot. You know the ones where they cut out a section of sidewalk and pour a concrete driveway entrance and the concrete edge is always a inch or two higher than pavement. The zr2 would transmit that expansion joint feel and it almost felt like the shocks were too stiff running 32-35 psi in the duratracs. The tremor in the same transition with 39-40 psi in the tires is a non-event. It's like there is no expansion joint there.

One thing of note is the tremor is supposed to have a less stiff anti-roll bar on the front in comparison to a regular ranger. I believe the zr2 shared the same anti-roll bar with all the other trims.

When I took delivery of the tremor, there was 34psi in the tires. I didn't note much difference in ride quality between that and 39psi.

Hopefully I've helped, but if I missed the mark somewhere, just let me know.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
On the show Engine Masters they did a test on a V8 with E-85, 87, 91,93 and 103 racing fuel
the only one that made a difference in hp and torque was the E-85, this was just an engine hooked to a dyno, so no transmission or drive line issues...

Reactions: gherbert and 93Duc

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
On the show Engine Masters they did a test on a V8 with E-85, 87, 91,93 and 103 racing fuel
the only one that made a difference in hp and torque was the E-85, this was just an engine hooked to a dyno, so no transmission or drive line issues...
Gotta love some E-85.

I'll data log the ranger sometime during this tank of fuel to see what the knock sensors are doing with ignition timing. If 5 star tuning picked up the numbers they did with 93 on the stock calibration, I suspect I'll see a lot of ignition timing being pulled by the knock sensors on 87.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts