Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ended up trading my 2019 zr2 for a new 2021 tremor. I didn't go looking to trade, just had a day off from work and was out clearing my mind last weekend. I drove the zr2 for 25k miles and they gave me $3k more than I paid for it in trade. There were no markups on the ranger and I still got Ford rebates in the deal. I've got just over 100 miles on it so far and am enjoying it. I can say that the seats are cooperating with my back more and the engine makes torque down low like the Colorado diesel does and that is making for a pleasant and calm drive.

I still have a 2017 canyon in the family, so will still be around here primarily for discussion around that. If anyone has questions about the tremor, I'll be happy to answer.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,963 Posts
Best of luck with your new wheels

Reactions: JasonZR2

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
well, stay on the forum, and talk with us about the truck as you live with it. since we dont all go changing brands often, its good to hear other's experiences with the new ride

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Tremor is a nice upgrade on the Ranger. And I like the graphics package they come with.

Do you miss having a V6, though?
You know, the torque the turbo four engine generates combined with the 10 speed auto and 3.73 gears makes it feel a bit quicker than the zr2 red light to red light without revving as much. I'll have to put some more miles on it before I will know.

I can say that so far the 10speed auto seems to shift far less than the 8speed did. Will see if that changes as adaptive learning does it's thing.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
888 Posts
You know, the torque the turbo four engine generates combined with the 10 speed auto and 3.73 gears makes it feel a bit quicker than the zr2 red light to red light without revving as much. I'll have to put some more miles on it before I will know.

I can say that so far the 10speed auto seems to shift far less than the 8speed did. Will see if that changes as adaptive learning does it's thing.
That 10 speed was codeveloped by GM and Ford and will be in the 2023 Colorado and Canyon.
Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Its funny that both ford and gm cant make transmissions independently to save their lives, but when they co-build one, its actually good.. Out of all the GM trucks that have the 10, it is remarkably better than the 8's and even the 6s

Reactions: bradfa

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
888 Posts
Its funny that both ford and gm cant make transmissions independently to save their lives, but when they co-build one, its actually good.. Out of all the GM trucks that have the 10, it is remarkably better than the 8's and even the 6s
I don’t know about that. I can’t really speak for Ford, but GM has built some pretty awesome automatics in their day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! I drove a Tacoma TRD Off Road, Ranger Tremor, and ZR2 back to back. Didn’t like the Tacoma st all. The Ranger was really nice. There was just something about the ZR2 that won me over.
If I had to buy a different truck, the Ranger Tremor would be it.
Stick around here, many guy can benefit from your knowledge.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Observations of the day.

Did some interstate driving today on the way to get the line-x sprayed in and will say the driving experience is definitely different. Cruising along at 70 on my normal route in the ranger where the ZR2 would shift back and forth between 7th and 8th gear to maintain speed, the ranger held 10th and never downshifted.

Got to immediately hop in the 2017 Canyon slt for a few hours while they were doing the liner and figured I'd outline some differences I noticed today.

-Seat cushions are softer in the ranger compared to twins.
-Dead pedal in ranger for my left foot is nice.
-The 2017 Canyon Slt 8 speed did less downshifting than the 2019 zr2 8speed. Assuming different programming between them aside from obvious differences in trucks. Both had the new fluid services as baseline.
-Ranger rides soft like the slt canyon. Zr2 was firmer ride, less floaty.
-driver information center in zr2 was easier to navigate.
-backup camera is about same quality in daytime.
-canyon/Colorado has a more sporty exhaust sound. Can't really hear ranger exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I don’t know about that. I can’t really speak for Ford, but GM has built some pretty awesome automatics in their day.
the stuff i have heard of from ford isnt great, but working at a GM dealership, Ive seen many broken trans from 6spds and the 8s. oh and if anyone gets a reman'd transmission from gm, DONT. We had a truck have an 8spd blow out, and GM sent us a "new" re-manufactured 8spd, we put it in a week later it was back and the valve body screwed up so bad it caused the clutch packs from gear 4-8 burn out. and no this wasnt my tech's fault... it was a bad unit from GM... so yeah maybe years ago they made good transmissions, but lately, i dont know....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I ended up trading my 2019 zr2 for a new 2021 tremor. I didn't go looking to trade, just had a day off from work and was out clearing my mind last weekend. I drove the zr2 for 25k miles and they gave me $3k more than I paid for it in trade. There were no markups on the ranger and I still got Ford rebates in the deal. I've got just over 100 miles on it so far and am enjoying it. I can say that the seats are cooperating with my back more and the engine makes torque down low like the Colorado diesel does and that is making for a pleasant and calm drive.

I still have a 2017 canyon in the family, so will still be around here primarily for discussion around that. If anyone has questions about the tremor, I'll be happy to answer.
Well that's what I have. Keep an eye on your oil level looking for fuel in the oil. Breaker and gently before you start working that turbo. I'm on this site looking to switch over but I haven't decided yet. You can read my post.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wel,l I can see I need to proofread what Siri dictates. No option to edit a reply or a post after it's done? Phonetics works when I forget. Break her in gently…
😀 The three little dots on the upper right side of your post should have an edit option. Funny thing is that I missed the typo but read as you intended.

I checked the oil level first thing and will be checking that regularly too. Every direct injection engine I've owned, regardless the brand, has had more fuel smell in oil than I've been accustomed to on port injection engines.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Its funny that both ford and gm cant make transmissions independently to save their lives, but when they co-build one, its actually good..
That didn't used to be true. Rolls Royce reportedly used the GM autos back in the day due to their quality. Long time ago--likely 3 speeds.

Also, early on I heard more issues with the Ford implementation of the 10 speed, but I haven't kept up on that.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That didn't used to be true. Rolls Royce reportedly used the GM autos back in the day due to their quality. Long time ago--likely 3 speeds.

Also, early on I heard more issues with the Ford implementation of the 10 speed, but I haven't kept up on that.
Rolls Royce also used GM A/C compressors at least as recently as 1987 (perhaps longer).

GM and Ford have the know how to make quality whatever (fill in the blank automotive wise) provided they are not restricted due to some new legislation requirements.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts