Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious if any one has any thoughts on the fixed boards versus the hinged ones. I can see benefits for both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Feel like the fixed boards will work better in most situations. And most situation, you need them to "float" over the surface or act as a ramp/bridge. Folding units don't provide the positive surface area of the fixed board.

Personally, the only benefit I can see to the folding unit is space. That said, anything is better than nothing. I would just buy fixed boards like maxtrax. If you are on the fence about which ones to buy and if they are worth the money, watch this:

Almost forgot, I got the Amazon Special "Maxsa" traction boards for a bday present. They have rounded edges and nubs that provide no real "bite". Have used them several times to try get folks out and they usually just spin on them. And they don't wear because you can't get grip. 😂

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel like the fixed boards will work better in most situations. And most situation, you need them to "float" over the surface or act as a ramp/bridge. Folding units don't provide the positive surface area of the fixed board.

Personally, the only benefit I can see to the folding unit is space. That said, anything is better than nothing. I would just buy fixed boards like maxtrax. If you are on the fence about which ones to buy and if they are worth the money, watch this:

Almost forgot, I got the Amazon Special "Maxsa" traction boards for a bday present. They have rounded edges and nubs that provide no real "bite". Have used them several times to try get folks out and they usually just spin on them. And they don't wear because you can't get grip.
Thanks! That was great info for a noob! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
567 Posts
I also would not pay $350 for MaxTraxx either - I think that there are alternatives that provide a significant percentage of the same benefit for nowhere near that amount of cost.

The video linked above is fantastic content.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I also would not pay $350 for MaxTraxx either - I think that there are alternatives that provide a significant percentage of the same benefit for nowhere near that amount of cost.

The video linked above is fantastic content.
Agreed, while they may have been the originators of the product the fact that there are competing products that are much less expensive should tell them they may have priced themselves out of the market. That is, unless they're making enough money on the brand to not care. If they were within $50 of competitors I'd spend the $50. I won't spend 2x the money just to get the "originals" or just to have their product on my vehicle to look cool. If the cheaper sets work just as well and last just as long then no reason to pay more. If the cheaper ones suck or break causing me to have to buy them again and end up paying what I would've paid for MaxTrax then I should've just bought the MaxTrax. It's all about value.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just bought X-Bulls for exactly the reason Drax said. I'd be willing to pay more for brand quality and to support product innovation, but not 3x as much.

Reactions: Bauerman and Skidog

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
567 Posts
Just bought X-Bulls for exactly the reason Drax said. I'd be willing to pay more for brand quality and to support product innovation, but not 3x as much.
Funny - as when I was typing my response it was the X-bull's that I had identified in the past from my research that I was also going to purchase and try out.

·
Premium Member
3,139 Posts
I think I can make some out of wood and rubber step tread.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Well...I might have to change my opinion based on this video. I can now see the MaxTrax being the better value over the long haul.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I might have to change my opinion based on this video. I can now see the MaxTrax being the better value over the long haul.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Gonna have to save up my pennies (if they’re still available).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
57 Posts
Anyone remember the old days of using your floormats? Or carrying a couple of shingles in the bed? I still do this in the winter. Walked a 2wd tacoma a mile thru 6" of snow over ice last winter with four shingles to get to the plowed road and then to work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone remember the old days of using your floormats? Or carrying a couple of shingles in the bed? I still do this in the winter. Walked a 2wd tacoma a mile thru 6" of snow over ice last winter with four shingles to get to the plowed road and then to work.
Those were the days. It’s been a minute since I’ve had to drive through snow and ice. I grew up outside of Pittsburgh but live in the sunny South now.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I carry an old hospital blanket for this. It's has a texture to it, and grips pretty well. Never tried it in mud, though.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 dbcb
57 Posts
I carry an old hospital blanket for this. It's has a texture to it, and grips pretty well. Never tried it in mud, though.
Hadn't thought about a blanket. Bet that would work. I have done singles, tarps, floor mats, and my coat one time. I miss that coat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A few months ago I picked up a new set of Maxtrax for $280 delivered, so if you check around and call sometimes you can get better pricing. I usually call because the websites often do not reflect ‘in-stock’ status and to get a ’read’ on their customer service.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are also other traction devices available for less money, & take up less space......but they don't make your rig an Overlander like MaxxTraxx do ! LOL I'm just being funny. They are rated good, work great & demand a premium. Sometimes, depending on what you are stuck in, the kind that strap on your tire can be much easier to use as long as you don't rip them off from too much throttle, meaning you don't have to dig them out of the sand or mud & reposition them every 36-42". If I was going to invest in something like a premium plastic type traction board, personally, I would want something that would also support the weight of my vehicle, for bridging gaps or as a ramp to get onto a ledge or what not. YRMV.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There are also other traction devices available for less money, & take up less space......but they don't make your rig an Overlander like MaxxTraxx do ! LOL I'm just being funny. They are rated good, work great & demand a premium. Sometimes, depending on what you are stuck in, the kind that strap on your tire can be much easier to use as long as you don't rip them off from too much throttle, meaning you don't have to dig them out of the sand or mud & reposition them every 36-42". If I was going to invest in something like a premium plastic type traction board, personally, I would want something that would also support the weight of my vehicle, for bridging gaps or as a ramp to get onto a ledge or what not. YRMV.
Nothing on the market is going to hold the weight of any vehicle, or motorcycle for that matter. That's not their intended purpose.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2" level kit
96 Posts
Whatever brand and colour match your rotopacs, overland bound decal badge thinger and yeti cooler; prominently displayed on a $2000 bed rack but never used.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I was a younger man, we’d use 2x6s with bottle caps nailed to them. Sure, you’d have to drink more pop after every use so you could replace the ones that were bent up and slicked down but that was my budget at the time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nothing on the market is going to hold the weight of any vehicle, or motorcycle for that matter. That's not their intended purpose.

Granted, for plastic recovery boards. But they do make bridging ladders that in fact do support the weight of a vehicle. Aluminum. They handle up to 7000 lbs per axle !

Made by Crux Offroad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts