Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really love many of the available nerf bar options for this truck. One setup did catch my eye though, and seems to make the most sense layout wise. Does anyone know what brand these are, or if they were just a render?

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'nerf bars' are intended to protect the truck body/doors from damage when offroading.

Side steps (regardless of how they may appear) are designed to easy your entry/egress from the truck.

While side steps may offer some protection, the fact the stock GM off-road steps (as in the photo above and on my 2015 Canyon) flex a bit when stepping on them (180 pounds) tell me the mounts for the side steps would be different from true nerf bars.

Are you looking for steps or protection? I think my 'off road' steps would bend and not offer any real protection should I hang the truck up on rocks.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'nerf bars' are intended to protect the truck body/doors from damage when offroading.

Side steps (regardless of how they may appear) are designed to easy your entry/egress from the truck.

While side steps may offer some protection, the fact the stock GM off-road steps (as in the photo above and on my 2015 Canyon) flex a bit when stepping on them (180 pounds) tell me the mounts for the side steps would be different from true nerf bars.

Are you looking for steps or protection? I think my 'off road' steps would bend and not offer any real protection should I hang the truck up on rocks.
Yes pretty much every step for the twins would not protect that much and would flex, specially how most are mounted. The ZR-2 does have actual guards made to protect the truck however, they are not steps.

A lot of people just call steps nerf bars or running boards even though they are neither most times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only Nerf Bars I have found that are not "hanging" off the rocker panels are the Luverne round 3" Nerf bars. They are mounted with the body mount bolts. I don't think they are intended for off road protection however.

·
Vendor
415 Posts

Both nerf bars and steps are both designed for easier entry/exit and offer no real offroad protection aside from deflecting gravel/rocks/etc. that your tires may kick up. The material choice can vary (plastic, steel, and aluminum) but they are all light duty and designed to hold a person. The nerf/board/step and the brackets can be easily damaged by any impact of significance off-road.

Rock sliders are built from thicker wall tubing and can be bolted or welded to the frame. These are designed to protect your truck from significant impact; anything from landing on a rock, sliding into a rock, using them to pivot off of something, etc. As an example of their strength I can put my hi lift jack under my rock slider and jack up the entire side of my truck at once. Don't try that with a normal nerf bar :wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.